PDA

View Full Version : How dangerous is a 10inch crack in screen?

SRimon
11-11-09, 12:40 PM
Got a chip on the way to oxford yesterday in my Focus, and a jolt in the road on the way back seen it crack - gutted!

Its out of driving sight.

Just wondering how dangerous it is? CBA to get it replaced as my company car comes in a week and i'll just take the cost hit when selling it.

Stanley
11-11-09, 12:45 PM
If its not in the drivers side swept area and/or 10mm of concentrated damage then it will still pass an MOT IIRC.

Tidy Max
11-11-09, 12:48 PM
i thought if a 5p didnt cover ALL of the damage regardless of location then it was a fail?

L14MNP
11-11-09, 12:48 PM
I'd just leave it. Even if it won't pass a test who cares! lol

it's only for a week. You can keep yourself amused by tapping it and watching the crack grow lol.

Stanley
11-11-09, 12:53 PM
This inspection applies to
All vehicles ( including those with opening windscreens)

Windscreen

Referring to the diagram below, examine the swept area of the windscreen and the driver's view through it.

http://www.ukmot.com/new_pa7.jpg

In Zone 'A'

a. damage not contained withina 10mm diameter circle, or

b. a windscreen sticker or other obstruction encroaching more than 10mm

c. a combination of minor damage areas which seriously restricts the driver's view

In the remainder of the swept area:

d. damage not contained within a 40mm diameter circle, or

e. a windscreen sticker or other obstruction encroaching more than 40mm

Note: All the items listed in the information column should be taken into account before rejecting a vehicle.

Ben
11-11-09, 02:17 PM
Ive had an 18" crack in my screen for 12 months, there laminated so no fear of danger.

AlexW
11-11-09, 03:41 PM
Ive had an 18" crack in my screen for 12 months, there laminated so no fear of danger.

+1, my van has about 4 cracks, two of which are moving towards to join up, Been like that for months and months, and about a millon miles lol

Jon_nova1
11-11-09, 06:35 PM
I know someone that had a crack in the midde of thier screen, it went straight up and right across the top, he drove it like that till he got it MOT'd, keep in mind it was a new car, so wasn't due for about another 2 years lol

brainsnova
11-11-09, 06:50 PM
i beat my calibra windscreen with a big hammer and it put up a good fight and being laminated holds very well and i wouldnt worry about a crack.

Benn
11-11-09, 07:33 PM
Does air come thru it? If no then its safe.

chimp007_uk
11-11-09, 07:36 PM
I've got a 2ft crack across my windscreen leavng it till after winter. As said it's a laminated glass so not a major issue.