PDA

View Full Version : Car covers - good or bad

Lee H
11-11-09, 11:39 AM
Nova is stored in a garage but gets really dusty in the space of a week or so and i'm sick of having to wash it all off.

Car gets a bit of condensation on with the current cold weather but garage isn't leaking badly etc.

I have a breathable car cover which I have never bothered using but am considering it and want to know peoples opinions who use them or have done in the past?

Car was painted about 8 months ago if that makes any difference at all.

Cheers

let_nova
11-11-09, 11:40 AM
some covers say not to use them is your car was sprayed less than 6 months ago. also some say remove every 3 days to let the car air out.

Nova_Tek
11-11-09, 11:59 AM
High quality car cpvers FTW. I coved a Cav once which was outside with an supposed 'all weather' car cover that had no real special instrustions. Within a short wile some of teh car cover actually stuck to the paintwork.

If you are gonna cover it get a good one.

L14MNP
11-11-09, 12:01 PM
Risky business if the car gets condensation on it ATM. Can you not damp proof the walls/door/roof better first mate?

I get the feeling even a breathable cover could do more harm than good.

novalewis
11-11-09, 12:04 PM
http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss197/novalewis/012-3.jpg

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss197/novalewis/011-3.jpg

not a fan of the covers as this is what happened to mine when next door flung their fag over the fence and landed on the cover :(

hybridturbo
11-11-09, 12:06 PM
Trouble is how much do you need to spend for a good one?

Its more risky using one imo, better off just keeping an eye on the garage and making sure theres no standing water etc once a month

Nova_Tek
11-11-09, 12:09 PM
You actually have a very good car cover mate, your garage. Stop it from leaking and it should be fine tbh I wouldn't bother with a car cover in a garage. My Nova is also garaged atm with no cover, yeh it gets a bit dusty but it's no biggie tbh.

Lee H
11-11-09, 12:55 PM
It is a good quality cover, not sure on make off the top of my head.

Garage doesn't leak as such but has a metal roof which gets covered in condensation and then drips on the car.

Nova_Tek
11-11-09, 12:57 PM
why dont you cover it with flat wooden boards and get some of that gritty/felt/tarmacy stuff they stick on shed roofs (the stuff by the roll). Would stop rain getting in.

dhdev (Oli)
11-11-09, 01:12 PM
High quality car covers FTW. I have a Moltex cover, breathable fleece-lined, weatehrproof. It rules. I could leave my car out in the rain and snow, uncover in the spring and it looked fresh as when I tucked it away.

http://www.hamilton-motorsport.co.uk/acatalog/Cover_-_Car_Outdoor.html

It is that good, that I even wrote a testimonial that went on their site PMSL!

let_nova
11-11-09, 01:13 PM
or do what im going to do, suspend a polythene sheet above the car attached to the roof in the middle and them down the walls slightly like a tent shape. makes the water/condensation run down away from the car.

Nova_Tek
11-11-09, 01:18 PM
High quality car covers FTW. I have a Moltex cover, breathable fleece-lined, weatehrproof. It rules. I could leave my car out in the rain and snow, uncover in the spring and it looked fresh as when I tucked it away.

http://www.hamilton-motorsport.co.uk/acatalog/Cover_-_Car_Outdoor.html

It is that good, that I even wrote a testimonial that went on their site PMSL!

That would be the best cover, was gonna say something that is lined with a soft fabric so it doesnt stick.

craig green
11-11-09, 01:53 PM
Oli's link sounds good. I like the fleece liner idea.

I have a Tyvek one I bought from halfords, it fits the Nova well & is breathable, but for outdoor use I found it rubs at painted corners of bodywork a bit too much. Perfect for indoor use though. As for garages, obv leaks arent ideal but the cure for condensation is ventilation. The best garage in the world is crap if it isnt well ventilated. Likewise all these stories of centrally heated garages will probably rot out a car quicker due to the humidity.

Lee H
11-11-09, 02:07 PM
why dont you cover it with flat wooden boards and get some of that gritty/felt/tarmacy stuff they stick on shed roofs (the stuff by the roll). Would stop rain getting in.

It's not our house so reluctant to start messing about with anything. It doesn't leak, just loads of condensation on the roof.

Cover in oli's link looks very good, might be worth a shot at kne of them instead maybe.

Mint FRST
11-11-09, 02:40 PM
I have a fully breathable indoor cover. Garage roof was recently reborded and felted and in bone dry. It is surprising how much dust does build up after time though...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Chris225/07112009038.jpg

Nova_Tek
11-11-09, 02:43 PM
It's not our house so reluctant to start messing about with anything. It doesn't leak, just loads of condensation on the roof.

Cover in oli's link looks very good, might be worth a shot at kne of them instead maybe.

Oh right gotcha. In that case Oli's cover FTW

Adam
11-11-09, 03:13 PM
Been looking for a cover for mine, but mine lives outdoors. Is it still worth getting one or will it just trap dust/damp/dirt under it against the cars body????

vaughanmc
11-11-09, 03:17 PM
My car lives outside now as well but I'm not going to cover it

Richie_B
11-11-09, 03:28 PM
http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss197/novalewis/012-3.jpg

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss197/novalewis/011-3.jpg

not a fan of the covers as this is what happened to mine when next door flung their fag over the fence and landed on the cover :(

that sucks :(. Not being funny, but the harnesses survived well :wtf:

Matt
11-11-09, 03:33 PM
I've got a Halfords one, £50 I paid for it IIRC. It's 'Tri-layered breathable all-weather' beast. Does the job pretty well. Straps underneath the car so it doesn't blow off or anything. I have the small one which fits the Nova pretty well. The car just looks like it's been stored inside when you remove the cover - can't ask for much more than that really.

Pistol Pete
11-11-09, 04:54 PM
I have a silver one like CG mentions. Does the job fine. Just bought this off ebay though..http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110452218134&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Not quite what i was expecting. The fleece lining is fairly thin, but should do the job.

Nick J
11-11-09, 05:33 PM
In normal circumstances I would say always have a cover on it as it stops the dust etc getting onto it thus making it less prone to scratching when cleaned etc.. But here's the thing..... Fresh paintwork breathes for months after being freshly applied regardless of quality of paint etc. And there is a possibility that a cover may cause the paintwork to sweat causing it to mark. These marks are are not easily removed either and will show up big time on a black surface. Usually a flat and machine polish is the only thing that will rectify the problem. Chris thompson had this very problem with the blue xe he's recently broke. I never covered my previous red one until well after a year of owning as the paintwork was brand new to avoid any issues. Id be tempted to leave the cover idea for a while as a few drips of water now and again wont hurt it fella annoying as it may be!

Nick.

sparkie1401
11-11-09, 05:39 PM
ive just ordered a spaecial made one from SCC car covers as i have one on my Evo

its not going on yet as i have no front end and i dont wanna rip it and it was only painted in june

but the crap it keeps off my evo is a god send, out door cover and fully breatable and ok for indoor use to
not cheap though £200 inc P&P

Riggy
11-11-09, 05:46 PM
yeah i have a tyvek one aswell , £80rrp but got it for £35 in a sale, still never used it , been worring the same thing myself lol as i have seen some covers rub the paint opf corners of cars , and mine was painted 2 years ago now

Iain
11-11-09, 05:48 PM
I have a Tyvek one too, £35 from Halfords. My first one died from grinder sparks but the second is going strong. Not sure if I'll trust it once the car has a fresh layer of paint on it though.

sparkie1401
11-11-09, 05:49 PM
mine is like a glove and does not move at all

Pistol Pete
11-11-09, 06:37 PM
In normal circumstances I would say always have a cover on it as it stops the dust etc getting onto it thus making it less prone to scratching when cleaned etc.. But here's the thing..... Fresh paintwork breathes for months after being freshly applied regardless of quality of paint etc. And there is a possibility that a cover may cause the paintwork to sweat causing it to mark. These marks are are not easily removed either and will show up big time on a black surface. Usually a flat and machine polish is the only thing that will rectify the problem. Chris thompson had this very problem with the blue xe he's recently broke. I never covered my previous red one until well after a year of owning as the paintwork was brand new to avoid any issues. Id be tempted to leave the cover idea for a while as a few drips of water now and again wont hurt it fella annoying as it may be!

Nick.

Hmmm...mine is off for paint on friday. Might risk it and leave the cover in the bag for a while....although my fresh paint will get covered in ****e!!:(

krobinson
11-11-09, 07:23 PM
I know you don't want to spend anymore cash on the car Lee, but IMO if you work out how much you've spent over the years, £300 on a carcoon will be a drop in the ocean.

It'll keep it clean, dry and stop any build up of condensation.

Lee H
11-11-09, 08:09 PM
Pretty sure a carcoon won't fit in my garage plus I don't have electric in there as it's detached from the house.

Lee H
11-11-09, 08:13 PM

Nick.

cheers for the advice Nick. I thought water marks from drips could also cause problems for paint if left on the paint surface in a similar way to what you describe with the car cover?

Novasport
11-11-09, 09:32 PM
Try and put up a type of frame around the car and then put the cover over that so it does not actually touch the paint and it will allow air to circulate around the car.

Lee H
11-11-09, 09:43 PM
The cover is a tight fit over the car so that won't work unfortunately.

Instructions say don't use for 3-6 months after painting so thought i'd be safe by now.

Bit of a dilemna really as the car is getting scratched to fook with all the dust lying on it then me working on it.

Nick J
11-11-09, 09:49 PM
cheers for the advice Nick. I thought water marks from drips could also cause problems for paint if left on the paint surface in a similar way to what you describe with the car cover?

That can happen also Lee.... unfortunatly when a car is repainted its never as strong/tough or durable as the paint it can from the factory with. I would just give it a good few coats of quality wax and that should act as a barrier against any water or such like that sits on the car thus preventing any marks etc. Thats the best solution Ive come across/used apart from a carcoon etc.

Nick.

Benn
11-11-09, 10:11 PM
Anti static duster, run it all over the car when you park it up. Some do really leave a charge. What about a dust like sheet but suspended just over the roof, will keep the dust off but wont touch the car so wont mark it.

I have a flease lined cover, it marked the corners and arches on mine. I have to machine polish the whole car to remove light marks.

Lee H
11-11-09, 11:05 PM
That can happen also Lee.... unfortunatly when a car is repainted its never as strong/tough or durable as the paint it can from the factory with. I would just give it a good few coats of quality wax and that should act as a barrier against any water or such like that sits on the car thus preventing any marks etc. Thats the best solution Ive come across/used apart from a carcoon etc.

Nick.

I've given it a few coats of wax but it still just seems to scratch so easy when there is any dust on it and you brush it off while working on the car etc.

Lee H
11-11-09, 11:06 PM
Anti static duster, run it all over the car when you park it up. Some do really leave a charge. What about a dust like sheet but suspended just over the roof, will keep the dust off but wont touch the car so wont mark it.

I have a flease lined cover, it marked the corners and arches on mine. I have to machine polish the whole car to remove light marks.

A sheet over the roof would just get damp with condensation though and wouldn't stop the car getting covered in condensation unfortunately.

Wonder how it marks the car? Was it outside though otherwise I can't understand it?

h9scw
12-11-09, 10:57 AM
Must admit, I'm no great fan of car covers....these are pics of an outdoor Tyvek (think it was the halfords ones) that a mate had on his 300ZX
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/sawoodburn/marredquarter3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/sawoodburn/bonnetmarring.jpg
Took a whole day of machining to get the marring off. The boot, bonnet, wings quarters all had the same marks as the pics above.
I have cotton sheets over mine just to keep the fly crap off.

craig green
12-11-09, 03:41 PM
Aye. Thats what mine could have been like had I not noticed what the cover was doing. Not ideal for windy conditions & despite the underbody elastic ties, still found the cover across the garden on a few occasions.

saloon3
12-11-09, 04:01 PM
Lee , to solve your condensation problem..spray underside of roof sheets with shutz anti stone chip..and stick some soffit vents in , if you have one.

Benn
12-11-09, 07:15 PM
A sheet over the roof would just get damp with condensation though and wouldn't stop the car getting covered in condensation unfortunately.

Wonder how it marks the car? Was it outside though otherwise I can't understand it?

Ah wasn't sure what your garage was like, mine was out side a few times so the cover moved.

pikey1986
12-11-09, 07:17 PM
Try and put up a type of frame around the car and then put the cover over that so it does not actually touch the paint and it will allow air to circulate around the car.

this sounds like the best idea imo

Lee H
12-11-09, 08:09 PM
Ah wasn't sure what your garage was like, mine was out side a few times so the cover moved.

My car is inside so hopefully the cover can't move then. Put it on now so will whip it off again at weekend and see if anything has happened. lol