PDA

View Full Version : power tools/drills

Tidy Max
11-11-09, 08:29 AM
Last week i had to go and buy my first power tool, ive just been using the communal ones at work up until now, but as im doing foreigners i need to expand on my tool collection,

so i found a deal on a Dewalt 18v, which is what i use at work anyway, little did i know the one from work is about 8 years old (pre Black and Decker buy out)

i got through 2 battery charges before the farking thing seized up on hammer setting, so straight back to the shop, found myself a cracking deal on a Makita 18v this morning, with 3 batteries for £96, cant complain at that,

what brand power tools do you lot use? any preferences or bad experiences? im just wondering for future purposes as my next buy will be an SDS

Plug
11-11-09, 09:20 AM
sds the bosch 36v is your best bet for a cordless one.

Makita is what i own and never had any problems :)

Tidy Max
11-11-09, 09:24 AM
cool :) do you use the nimh batteries or the li on efforts?

Plug
11-11-09, 09:31 AM
lithium :thumb:

joeSRI
11-11-09, 10:05 AM
I work for Hilti. Supposed to be best on the market. You will pay through the nose for them though. I have a Hilti 12v cordless and its pretty damn good.

GRUNT 16V
11-11-09, 10:15 AM
Makita / Dewalt/bosch/hitachi Ftw !!! Everything Else Is Just A Toy !!

GRUNT 16V
11-11-09, 10:17 AM
My father is a builder and has been since th 70s and is still using a couple of wolf tools !! there still going strong

draper
11-11-09, 10:25 AM
bosch corded
makita cordless

simplezzzzz

Tidy Max
11-11-09, 10:39 AM
yeah im a big fan of hitatchi use them quite abit, hilti stuff is mintballs but its farking well expensive!

we use a Paslode spit gun but we have a Hilti cartridge weapon i mean nail gun as well, dangerous stuff them, they just accept 9mm blanks

craig green
11-11-09, 11:10 AM
The chuck on my Hitachi died quite quick.

Can't fault Makita stuff, the torch I found still had battery life nearly 2 years later, despite not finding a charger with it.

AlexW
11-11-09, 11:32 AM
I too have Makita stuff, use them for work too and have never missed a beat, even tho my work one is used nearly everyday and has been for at least 5years.

Shame the one ive got at home has had the direction thing broke off so it only goes into things lol

L14MNP
11-11-09, 11:33 AM
Powercraft and B&Q Performance lol

draper
11-11-09, 11:43 AM
Powercraft and B&Q Performance lol

lol

although i do have a grinder that was a tenner, lasted 18months so far !!

L14MNP
11-11-09, 11:50 AM
TBH I have a load of Powercraft stuff, and a few things from B&Q and they do me proud. I do have some Bosch/DeWalt/Makita etc. too but I can't knock the other stuff if you aren't using it every day.

I've lost count of the amount of cars/paving slabs etc the 9" Powercraft grinder has tackled. lol

Also for random tools I like to visit Aldi, glue guns and the like. Fiver FTW. lol (No I don't own shares in Powercraft!) lol

Buying British (for peanuts) FTW.

AlexW
11-11-09, 11:50 AM
You got lucky then, i bought a £15 grinder, lasted about a week lol

sport
11-11-09, 12:24 PM
Bosch, paslode and senco :thumb:

Tidy Max
11-11-09, 12:38 PM
never heard of senco? they good?

robertdevlin69
11-11-09, 06:57 PM
hitachi and bosch are what i have in my modern collection but i have a load of old wolf powertools for when the heavy stuff

Mike
11-11-09, 07:02 PM
I use Makita at work, only because the batterys from the drills fit my radio :)

In the private tool collection (AKA my dads) theres some kick ass DeWalt 24v thing, a selection of Hilti's & Bosch Jigsaw/Grinders etc etc

Mike
11-11-09, 07:03 PM
Bosch, paslode and senco :thumb:

Your a chippy then?

Jon_nova1
11-11-09, 07:15 PM
I have an argos power drill! cost me £9.99!

dave.gsi
11-11-09, 07:19 PM
old school dewalt by a mile....we've had a chopsaw for 6 years now, only thing went wrong was the switch burnt out, set the handle on fire.......changed the switch and its back to its best :d cant buy them anymore though :wtf:

as for makita, they last longer than most of the poo out there but we've had problems with the chucks/triggers giving up after 18 months, they are used all day.. everydaythough and you can change the chucks/triggers relatively easily

sport
17-11-09, 01:56 PM
never heard of senco? they good?

They only make collated screwguns. I prefer them to the makita equivalent.

sport
17-11-09, 01:57 PM
Your a chippy then?

Aye sure am mate. What gave it away lol

jimbob-mcgrew
17-11-09, 03:09 PM
used quite a large mixture of differently branded tools for 6 months whilst fitting kitchens a few years back. the majority of the makita gear was the bollox, the drills seem much better balanced than most and all the buttons/switches are in clear accessable spots. they feel a bit more ergonimic in the hand than most too, and the texture of em is almost comfy whilst being hardwearing, cant fault em myself. their tools used to be seriously expensive in comparison to others (which was the only thing that put me off), but theyve brought their prices down some since then to a more competetive level which id say makes them the best buy :thumb:

Mike
17-11-09, 09:39 PM
Aye sure am mate. What gave it away lol

Paslode...

Oh the fun ive had with them :d

Andy
17-11-09, 09:46 PM
TBH I have a load of Powercraft stuff, and a few things from B&Q and they do me proud. I do have some Bosch/DeWalt/Makita etc. too but I can't knock the other stuff if you aren't using it every day.

I've lost count of the amount of cars/paving slabs etc the 9" Powercraft grinder has tackled. lol

Also for random tools I like to visit Aldi, glue guns and the like. Fiver FTW. lol (No I don't own shares in Powercraft!) lol

Buying British (for peanuts) FTW. And when they blow up They ALWAYS exchange them and never quibble so how can you go wrong LOL
My window fitting gear,which up until late last year was my trade i use Ryobe One+ Never had any problems with these and they have had some fair hammer over the past years,ripping out with my recip and then drilling and fixing with the sds and the impact driver.Also have a cordless jigsaw by these,there batteries fit everything in the one+ range and there is loads of tools.
Best ive USED though has to be the new Milwaukee range,these are made by Atlas Copco and are truly nice to use,lightweight and very powerful.
Not cheap though,£300 for a cordless drill/driver is rather ouch:eek:

Stuart
17-11-09, 09:57 PM
My dad has one of the 'expensive' hitatchis from screwfix.... its dead already after a few jobs.

I got a Hilti 18V drill/driver earlier on in the year and WOW its just amazing battery lasts forever, so so so sooooo much torque I snapped a hardened driver bit with it lmao.

Have used old skool makita stuff in various jobs and have to say thats some tough old stuff.

Mike
17-11-09, 10:00 PM
HILTI are fecking ace tools!

My dad had a HILTI drill from the 80s!! Couple of years ago it finally died :( he called HILTI UK an they said they'd send a courier to collect it & theyd replace with a top notch new model FOC??

Turns out HILTI main office has a model of EVERY drill that theyve ever made an wanted my dads for some spare parts as they stopped making them years ago lol lol

djbrowney
17-11-09, 10:04 PM
if its the 18 volt drill im think off with the 1.3 ah batterys not to bad drill (does seem to have less grunt than my old 14.4 volt so some reason) have killed two in 18 months but mine do take a lot of stick, keep and eye out on ebay for the black 2.8 ah batterys make the drills 100x better

Stuart
17-11-09, 10:06 PM
if its the 18 volt drill im think off with the 1.3 ah batterys not to bad drill (does seem to have less grunt than my old 14.4 volt so some reason) have killed two in 18 months but mine do take a lot of stick, keep and eye out on ebay for the black 2.8 ah batterys make the drills 100x better

err what brand of drill? :lol:

djbrowney
17-11-09, 10:11 PM
makita stu i was referring to the first post lol

Christ
17-11-09, 10:38 PM
Boss has kitted me out with a new Hilti Lithium cordless Hammer drill and Battery drill. Cant complain about the Hammer drill as it gets some amount of stick and just keeps going but the new Battery drill has already had a faulty battery and the chuck keeps jamming. If it were me buying for myself I wouldn't bother with Hilti I would get the Lithium MAkita stuff. What the hell is a foreigner?

bmw156
17-11-09, 10:41 PM
my dad is a chippy, and he uses makita and dewalt. and for a BIG drill he uses a drill which sits in a red box cant remember the name lol.

and grinder wise, i have had a halfrauds or b&q cheapy and i have used it loads with no problems