PDA

View Full Version : Which carb manifold to fit a 16se head

racespec
10-11-09, 10:59 PM
Hopefully you can help me out with this one.
I have myself a big valve 16se head and im wanting to run it in my race car, Im only permitted to use the original twin choke carb and manifold.
I want to know which carb manifold is best to use ie 1.3 or 1.4.
And how to modify it to fit right, I know this is a done modification ,but from looking at the head and manifolds earlier it doesnt seem like they will mate up easily.

Any Info will be greatly appreciated

mowgli
10-11-09, 11:07 PM
what racing series are you in???

jimbob-mcgrew
11-11-09, 12:00 AM
deffo running the gte/gsi injection engine ? as u mentioned the original carb.
i think the inlets circular port on that head aint it ?

the 1.3sr's cathederal shaped port manifold is probably a closer match than the 1.4's square port, whichever you use tho, will need matching to the head side. probably prety easy to do if you offer the head side gasket upto the carb manifold and mark out what needs to be machined.

before machining the manifold i'd strongly reccomend plugging the port holes with rag to minimize metal getting everywhere, and givving it a good wash or 3 once finished, you dont wanna get a piece of swarf stuck on one of your piston rings, something like that could cause a hotspot or a scored bore.

racespec
11-11-09, 07:34 PM
Its a small series I race in,circuit racing.Mainly fwd vauxhalls.
Yes im definately going to be running the injection engine with round ports.
Having studied both type of manifolds and gaskets (square and cathedral),I wasnt sure what would work best.
I dont think the head could be ported to suit the cathedral manifold as it would appear that youd be porting into the waterways, as so much would need ported/machined.

Any Ideas?

garyc
11-11-09, 08:35 PM
how about an ally plate bolted between the two and match both ends?

jimbob-mcgrew
12-11-09, 12:13 AM
i wouldnt touch the head side, just match the manifold if poss.

or what gary said sounds like it'll work :thumb: