PDA

View Full Version : Earthing problem

muzzy
10-11-09, 08:34 PM
Im working on a Nova at the moment and it has what i suspect to be an earthing problem. When you turn the ignition on there are no warning lights ie EM, alternator etc and once the car is running after a minute or so the alternator light will come on, when you put your foot on the brake the coolant gauge drops and the alternator light brightens up. There were no problems at all before but the car was stolen and recovered and it was hot wired, all ignition wires are back in correctly and i have checked all visible earths and they are all clean and have good connections. It is definetly related to the car being stolen, another point is that while the alternator light is on the indicators do not work from the stalk but the main beam does as do the hazards.

Cheers

dougie_boi
10-11-09, 09:16 PM
check your fuses theres one for the ignition which sounds like its popped

Guderian
11-11-09, 08:38 AM
I think there are 'minor' earths behind the dash..(always brown so RELATIVELY easy to find)

one of these might have corroded or come loose. (or been broken loose during theft)

AlexW
11-11-09, 11:35 AM
^ +1, Usually that sort of thing means one of the two earths behind the dash, one iirc is by/on the steering column support.

Good luck.

craig green
11-11-09, 02:32 PM
^ +1, Usually that sort of thing means one of the two earths behind the dash, one iirc is by/on the steering column support.

Good luck.

The other is behind the central air vents (mk2) or Head unit (mk1).

Check or replace the earth strap on the g/box to chassis leg*. When the one on my TD finally broke down (you couldnt tell by looking) most of the dash lights were on despite the car being locked/ign off.

* I yanked on it & snapped it in half. Clearly not conducting properly.

AlexW
11-11-09, 03:48 PM
Couldn't remember where the other one was :thumb:

Gearbox earth (or the one for the lights etc) can cause probs, worth checking while your there, or even just changing it for a better type one (not the braided metal of the original. If that makes sence.

muzzy
11-11-09, 09:16 PM
Thanks for all the responses will check the earths behind the dash tomorrow.

Was having a look at it tonight and i turned the hazard switch upside down with the engine running and that sorted the problem, battery light went out, indicators work, brake lights work. The hazard switch was not touched when the car was stolen but it was when finger prints were taken as it was re-fitted upside down by the Police. Tried two seperate switches just to rule out a fault but both are acting in the same way.

All the main earths are new as the car was completely rebuilt, everything was working fine before the vehicle was stolen which sort of points towards the dash area.

nova-taken
17-11-09, 11:28 AM
Did you sort it out muzzy?? what was the problem?