PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox/diff/drive shafts problems.

AlexW
10-11-09, 05:44 PM
Before anyone says anything, me AND iain have searched and not found much of use.

Finally got all the parts to make my car moving again, putting the drive shafts in they dont seem to hold in place, ive tried different clips and tried making them bigger so they hold in better without any luck.

Ive been lead to believe that with the drive shafts removed something has dislodged inside and its causing the shaft to just pop out or not go in properly.

It was started in gear by accident due to the lack of gear linkage and clutch cable.

Is there something that could have happened to a part of the diff or something?

****ed off with the car atm tbh.

F13 btw

garyc
10-11-09, 05:47 PM
I had the planet wheels drop out on me once so that was a diff out job. Are the splined outputs planet wheels aligning with the holes, have a look or stick you finger in and have a good feel.

AlexW
10-11-09, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the reply, going to have a look tomorrow and maybe see about popping off the diff cover, see if i can see anything wrong.

Was all ok before i stripped the car and replaced the gaskets.

auzzy-b
10-11-09, 06:15 PM
Have you turned/moved the diff collet? on the right:-

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt87/austen-b/Photo0122.jpg

its probably just come loose.. if so just remove the cover and reset the main gear on the two bearings:thumb:

MK999
10-11-09, 06:22 PM
Planetary gears will have spun to face horizontal rather than vertical when it was started up. Can do it with the diff in if you're not scared of going elbow deep into it.

AlexW
12-11-09, 02:59 PM
You guys were right, popped off the cover and i was joined by two gears.

Question is now how to get them back in, after being sat under the thing for about half an hour trying to get the gears to line up im getting annoyed, i can get them both onto the gears but cant get both to line up, i can get one gear to be in the right place and slot one CV in but cant get the other one to be in the right place so i can get the CV in.

Any tips? Or just sit at it. I realise i probably wont get any/many replys since its this time of day.

Cheers

MK999
12-11-09, 03:09 PM
The space where you can get one back in, spin the other so it's on the opposite side to it, slide the other one in, then spin them both around the centre so they both face the outdrive holes, then put 1 cv in to hold it in place so you can do the other.

garyc
12-11-09, 03:12 PM
I took the diff out and did it on the bench and seem to remember it took ages and lots of patience. Sorry cant be any more help than that.

AlexW
12-11-09, 03:16 PM
Preety much what i was doing mark, will have another go in a min.

MK999
12-11-09, 03:17 PM
half hour isn't anywhere near enough time for the shouting and swearing involved in getting it in lol

AlexW
12-11-09, 03:22 PM
It is when i stoped after getting hit in the head by two gears

AlexW
12-11-09, 05:41 PM
Done it and it moves under its own power.

Cheers everyone.