PDA

View Full Version : ABS light staying on!!!

twistysnovagte
09-11-09, 10:46 PM
as this is all new to me i realy havent a clue on where to look and what to do.
the car is a cavalier gsi 2wd
all i do know is that when the ignition is switched on all the lights appear on the dash then go off after a few seconds leaving the abs(orange)light on!!!?
even when the car is running the light stays on?

i can also say that when im braking at speeds of around 60mph the car doesnt slow down as much as id like it too!

any help/info pics etc on what to look for where to go would be much appreiciated:)

andy

AlexW
09-11-09, 10:48 PM
I told you in the thread, search for how to flash the codes.

twistysnovagte
09-11-09, 10:52 PM
I told you in the thread, search for how to flash the codes.ive searched on google mate,it brings up a few things on vxoc about using a paper clip checking the ecu(i think) etc
havent a clue how to flash codes!
isnt there a sensor i can just change over?(as it mentions sensor's can be faulty im most cases?)

AlexW
09-11-09, 10:57 PM
It could be any one of 4 sensors.

twistysnovagte
09-11-09, 10:59 PM
how much are we looking for a garage to this out?
as i dont want to be tampering with my brake's if there dodgy then they need fixing properly!?

AlexW
09-11-09, 11:01 PM
The paperclip test is simple mate, its a case of finding the right pin and then earthing it (using another pin the diag plug).
I had to do it on my mates car.
Theres nothing to stop them from working, your not touching the system apart form diagnosing a problem and changing a sensor if needed, There piss easy to change.

General Baxter
09-11-09, 11:03 PM
hold the **** on

is the ABS anything to do with the engine managment?

if the ecu light is going off, why the **** would it flash a code ?

twistysnovagte
09-11-09, 11:06 PM
i cant answer your questions nick,that is why im asking?

i turn the ignition on, ALL lights appear on the dash,once the car is started all the lights go off, apart from the ABS light stays on and doesnt go off untill the key is taken out the ignition?

General Baxter
09-11-09, 11:08 PM
yes your abs is broken,

go round check the sensors and rings, they might just be full of crud or the cables have snapped

AlexW
09-11-09, 11:12 PM
You can flash the abs fault codes too baxter?!

twistysnovagte
09-11-09, 11:13 PM
right i feel i need to get this to a garage,as i realy havent a clue on what to do, where to look(just being honest!)pity none of you guys are close by.
i can see this costing me a few quid too!

EDIT can i just ask what it means to flash fault codes?

Bubba
10-11-09, 12:01 AM
short out pin 2/3 (i think its been a while since ive done it) on the diagnostic plug on an XE. the ECU light will then flash a code which can be translated into a fault. easy enough to find on google.

on your hubs are the abs sensors, give them a good clean.

Riggy
10-11-09, 09:46 AM
have a read on Here (http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/abs_codes/abs_codes.pdf)

twistysnovagte
10-11-09, 06:26 PM
have a read on Here (http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/abs_codes/abs_codes.pdf)doesnt let me into the file(pdf):confused:

does anyone have a pic of what i should be cleaning/looking at?

Bubba
11-11-09, 12:40 AM
http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes.htm

everything is there, pictures, codes, etc

Mazz
11-11-09, 06:20 PM
Once you've read the code it should tell you which sensor is throwing the light on. Fronts are simple, they are just like a crank sensor - just a 10mm bolt holding them in. Rears are bitch though, the sensor is built into the hub (clicky (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-GENUINE-VAUXHALL-VECTRA-C-SIGNUM-REAR-HUB-COMPLETE_W0QQitemZ330359788655QQcmdZViewItemQQimsx q20091014?IMSfp=TL091014167002r19732))

Just don't do what i did, replace the hub only for it be a dodgey connection above the axle :(

twistysnovagte
12-11-09, 06:49 PM
right i wont be messing about with this myself my cousins good freind said he has a device which he plugs in and it will tell exactly what going on.
thanks for the help though guys.

Jon_nova1
12-11-09, 10:16 PM
You have a faulty sensor, it won't be the rings etc, as the light is coming on when the car isn't moving

twistysnovagte
15-11-09, 03:22 PM
whoops!
had a look under the front drivers wheel today after hearing a little clunking/metal to metal noise,and guess what i found something dangling beside the wheel
its on a wire with a metal round part on the end to which i took it to kwick fit
and they confirmed that it is in fact the abs sensor!
but they wouldnt fix it has they dont deal in them problems they say!!!

so how does it go back on???

AlexW
15-11-09, 05:22 PM
If its just fallen off its held on with a bolt/nut iirc, if its broke its a new one lol

Al3x
17-11-09, 10:50 PM
take the wheel off so you have more room to work... should slot back into a hole in the hub (bearing housing) and bolt down with 1 nut either a 10mm or torx iirc? but give it a good inspecting 1st to see if has been damaged with it dangling near you brakes and wheel =/ then if the light doesnt go out but all the sensors are workin, fited properly, and abs pick up rings all good... might just be a case or reseting the light using suitable diagnotic equipment. (not flash codes)