PDA

View Full Version : sky question again.

John
08-11-09, 09:02 PM
I've had sky for approx 5 years now, everytime i ring to upgrade they'll do jack for me. I want a + box, but don't want to pay a £100 plus the extra £10 a month. The frustrating thing being if i was a new customer I'd get a + box free and pay only £17 a month! If i leave, can i rejoin later and enjoy the benefits of being a new customer? If not can my wife take it out in her name?
I really wanna keep sky as the daughter is addicted to the childrens channels, and virgin cable isn't available in our area. We'll hopefully treat ourselves to to a new hd lcd tv nearer crimbo, is it woth getting hd?
What are the freesat hd boxes like?
Any opinions? Discuss.
:) :thumb:

Graeme
08-11-09, 09:04 PM
I thought + boxes were free at the moment if paid for the installation?

Benn
08-11-09, 09:04 PM
I tried for about 6months to do the same. I wanted +.

They wouldn't give anything at all. In the end i just paid the money, only other way i didn't try was to cancel then rejoin. That seems to be the only real way..

John
08-11-09, 09:07 PM
I thought + boxes were free at the moment if paid for the installation?

Only for new, not existing customers iirc.

Benn
08-11-09, 09:08 PM
It sucks balls. But that's the only way i could see it work John..

Rich
08-11-09, 09:08 PM
ask for it free, mention that a new customer would get it free (say you have seen the deal). When they say they can help or the deal isnt for you tell them to cancel your subscription there and then. Im sure they will do you some sort of deal, if not live without for a month and rejoin.

Dont go to virgin whatever you do, they are completly useless! In our area anyway

Benn
08-11-09, 09:09 PM
I tried that Rich, i was told "sorry we cant do deals like that"

John
08-11-09, 09:14 PM
I tried that Rich, i was told "sorry we cant do deals like that"

lol that's what i got too, i threatened to leave, they said "when"?

Adam
08-11-09, 09:18 PM
Sky are w4nk at "treating" existing customers.
My dad had sky from the day it started(back in late 80s, early 90s), they never rung up and said are you interested in a special price HD setup or anything for being a long term customer.

Yet when he rung up and told them bollox and cancelled his whole subscription they now ring him at least once a week saying you can have this, that, blah blah for £X amount a month for the 1st 12months etc.
They only care about trying to get new customers to sign up and dont give two f**ks about existing customers.

/rant over

John
08-11-09, 09:20 PM
Sky are w4nk at "treating" existing customers.
My dad had sky from the day it started(back in late 80s, early 90s), they never rung up and said are you interested in a special price HD setup or anything for being a long term customer.

Yet when he rung up and told them bollox and cancelled his whole subscription they now ring him at least once a week saying you can have this, that, blah blah for £X amount a month for the 1st 12months etc.
They only care about trying to get new customers to sign up and dont give two f**ks about existing customers.

/rant over

Wan* ain't it. I'd leave apart from evie being devastated at the loss of cartoonito lol

w88rdy
08-11-09, 09:22 PM
Cancel and get your lass to have it refitted the next week, she will be a new customer lol

Rich
08-11-09, 09:26 PM
yeah it is bad, they dont care about current customers, they already get money off you each month.

Stuart
08-11-09, 09:44 PM
Tell them you are cancelling as you now work shifts and cannot watch the programs you used to as you have to work.... But Sky+ would solve the leaving problem ;)

It should work.

I'm ditching them completely as we dont watch anything thats not on freeview now anyway :)

John
08-11-09, 09:47 PM
Tell them you are cancelling as you now work shifts and cannot watch the programs you used to as you have to work.... But Sky+ would solve the leaving problem ;)

It should work.

I'm ditching them completely as we dont watch anything thats not on freeview now anyway :)

wait till amber is a bit older lol Already tried that Stu.

Stuart
08-11-09, 09:52 PM
she loves cbeebies, thats good enough for her and me lol

Pistol Pete
08-11-09, 09:56 PM
Theres no subscription charge for Sky+ IIRC. Just HD. IMO cancel and start again. Sucks, but seems to be the only way. Tossers lol

nova-taken
08-11-09, 10:01 PM
us existings are already in their net of profit see, all they want is fresh accounts for more "hard earned" cash, which technically is against the law, unless your in their 12 month initial period, tell em ur a solicitor and that ur nt happy with the service and wanna take it further

DAFTJOHN
08-11-09, 10:19 PM
Tbf sky make so little margins on the services, they only see it worth there while getting the new customer on board and unfortuntely that means you having to sign up again...bad policy though not looking after their existing base though

Angus Closier
08-11-09, 11:37 PM
Iv always found that if you threaten to cancel and not come back they normally turn if your favour, if not just start asking to talk to someone higher up. All of the company's are the same! you just have to be prepared to demand what you want rather than letting them tell you what you want, vodaphone would not give me a certain phone when i came to upgrade cos it was only for new customers so i just said cancel my contract and il take out a new one, they simply said thats too much hassle have the phone and sent it my way!

large_steve182
08-11-09, 11:37 PM
we got ours for freesies,
phoned up and went to cancel the movies i think, we had been with sky for since ever, said something about cancelling and gave us sky + box for free,
win

AlexW
08-11-09, 11:56 PM
Buy the box off ebay for how ever much, ive seen them sell for as little as £30. I done this with my multiroom, rang sky, got it added with a new card and sorted it.
When i wanted sky+ i rang them, said id leave, silence, "well i guess i can sort it" Simples.

Benn
09-11-09, 08:09 AM
I looked in to that, they wanted a 60£ sign over fee.. Basicly for a new card and for them to do a bit of work...

rubachuk
09-11-09, 09:55 AM
Not sure the sky+ box would work properly with just a card change.

I think the sky+ installations run a double cable from the dish whereas the standard sky has a single cable. Thats why you can watch something and record something else.

Stuart
09-11-09, 09:59 AM
yeah you need a twin LNB otherwise you can only record one thing and watch a limited channel set at the same time

Tidy Max
09-11-09, 10:03 AM
its a piece of piss to run another cable from your sky dish though matey, **** paying them!!

Nova_Tek
09-11-09, 10:35 AM
Sky are probably only after one thing and that is to get new customers, they probably get most commission from new agreements for new customers hence won't be bothered about an old customer unhappy with what they pay and service.

I'd personally leave and get the wife to join up if that's the only real way of getting what you want.

If there was an alternative then ideally you could've rang them up, get a deal with an equivalant package and tell Sky you are going to someone else. Or get Freesat HD but you won't have the choice of channels.

AlexW
09-11-09, 10:58 AM
I didnt make my post make much sence, with the sky plus i got it fitted by them as im lazy, but with the multi-room i did it myself. The card was free, just got a extra tenner on my bill everymonth.

Benn
09-11-09, 06:42 PM
John do you want hd? Adam on Mig has a voucher thing for you to get it free.. Let me know.

John
09-11-09, 08:28 PM
John do you want hd? Adam on Mig has a voucher thing for you to get it free.. Let me know.

Send me a link dude, i'll have a look...

novaxe235
09-11-09, 08:58 PM
yeah you need a twin LNB otherwise you can only record one thing and watch a limited channel set at the same timeyou need a quad lnb and twin cables buy the box and quad lnb off ebay and a sky fitter will do it cash for under £30 pounds if you were closer i could get it done for you as i have a few mates who fit sky beware hd is also more expensive.

John
09-11-09, 09:31 PM
Lolage! just rang sky, what a waste of half an hour! Got through to the call centre in india, Guy couldn't understand a word i said, and then raised his voice to me! asked to speak to the manager who just hurried me off the phone! What a bunch of complete ****e*s! I asked to be transferred to a uk call centre was told no, and got cut off!

mowgli
09-11-09, 09:45 PM
Lolage! just rang sky, what a waste of half an hour! Got through to the call centre in india, Guy couldn't understand a word i said, and then raised his voice to me! asked to speak to the manager who just hurried me off the phone! What a bunch of complete ****e*s! I asked to be transferred to a uk call centre was told no, and got cut off!

well, John, you have got a funny accent

Stuart
09-11-09, 09:57 PM
you need a quad lnb and twin cables buy the box and quad lnb off ebay and a sky fitter will do it cash for under £30 pounds if you were closer i could get it done for you as i have a few mates who fit sky beware hd is also more expensive.

only 'NEED' a twin.... sky just fit quads as its cheaper to buy one LNB in volume to save monies for the HD/multiroom setups etc

Benn
09-11-09, 10:46 PM
John see my pm... And never ring after normal working hours...

Steve
09-11-09, 11:14 PM
Were in the same boat, wanted sky+ but there aren't the deals for old customers, my dad rung up and and we got a free sky+ hd box just gotta pay £60 fees and £10 a month more, should be fitted on wednesday.
Had the same sort of hassle with adrian flux when I wanted to swap the nova insurance over for my micra, been with them for years and all they could offer was the same for a std 1.0 micra as I was already paying for a highly modified car! Effing joke, so much for customer care, that went a long time ago.

John
10-11-09, 01:22 PM
John see my pm... And never ring after normal working hours... ta Benn, pm returned. :)

Benn
10-11-09, 08:23 PM
And back...

John
10-11-09, 08:24 PM
I've sent him a pm, we'll see what happens. :)

Benn
10-11-09, 08:24 PM
Cool cool.

DAFTJOHN
11-11-09, 02:40 PM
John I called them and they asked did I want to go + I told them about this thread and she said that rubbish we can do it free, so I asked her to do it and she said oops I can't but I'll put your name on the register and when a free one comes up we'll call you?