PDA

View Full Version : Novas + rain...

Nebbz
08-11-09, 07:27 PM
= bad times!

they really dont like the rain do they! i drive approx 60 miles a day to sort my horse out *hopefully not for long YAY!* but

omg how i got home last night i have no idea! how do you get over the winter with a nova! is there anything i can do to help norman through the horrible british weather. Ive had to use wd40 a few times to get rid of moisture around the spark plugs but its rediculous!

or am i just going to have to stock up!?:wtf:

burgo
08-11-09, 07:29 PM
ive never had any problems at all. id surgest praps giving it an ignition service if your having problems

Nebbz
08-11-09, 07:33 PM
its not just that though you get them semi shallow lakes accross some roads, cant always avoid them and it goes up in to the arch and what not, i get lights flashing at me, so scared i was going to loose my nova last night ive fell in love with the thing, so ended up driving at 30 on a 60 with my hazards on lmao!!!

novait
08-11-09, 07:35 PM
ive never had a problem at all...

burgo
08-11-09, 07:40 PM
its not just that though you get them semi shallow lakes accross some roads, cant always avoid them and it goes up in to the arch and what not, sorry what?? where else do you expect water to go lol.

if your getting aqua planning then slow down, simples. the other night it was raining that hard i could only manage 50mph but its the same for everyone else in no matter what car your in

Adam
08-11-09, 07:42 PM
Light car and wide tyres is never going be a good combination against aqua planing tbh

MK999
08-11-09, 07:43 PM
sorry what?? where else do you expect water to go lol.

if your getting aqua planning then slow down, simples. the other night it was raining that hard i could only manage 50mph but its the same for everyone else in no matter what car your in

Actually a lightweight nova on 195's is about the worst thing you can get for aquaplaning ;p

craig green
08-11-09, 07:53 PM
A mk1 Fiesta on 205's??? LOL

I've had lights come on my dash in the GSi when I've gone through floods & fords. Usually the alternator getting wet I thought.

MK999
08-11-09, 07:55 PM
kit car on 235's, your turn lol

Nebbz
08-11-09, 07:57 PM
prob is the alternator thinking about it, twas engine management. just as if the water splashes up in to the engine, worries me sick! hate that, my old bmw used to do that and conk out!

its on its standard steelies which are skinny... biscuit wheels aint the word for it.
it wasnt aqua plaining seem to avoid that as i dont drive fast that often!

MK999
08-11-09, 07:58 PM
I was aquaplaning in mine at around 30ish last time I got caught in really heavy rain.

burgo
08-11-09, 07:58 PM
A mk1 Fiesta on 205's??? LOL

I've had lights come on my dash in the GSi when I've gone through floods & fords. Usually the alternator getting wet I thought.poor excuse

i was following a mark 1 fiesta with the same width tyres as me, whilst he was busy understeering into the curb i zipped up the inside whilst crying with laughter

Dan
08-11-09, 07:59 PM
Actually a lightweight nova on 195's is about the worst thing you can get for aquaplaning ;p

I'll beg to differ on that comment if you run decent tyres and have the car setup right for all conditions, running eagle f1's my old build was hairing around llandow circuit at a PNG trackday in a mini monsoon with tyres squealling for mercy and bouncy around kerbs on two wheels with ease. That was totally minimalist build wise and had a static weight of 700kg. It only aquaplaned a small bit at the bottom end of the circuit but was fully controllable to the point i had no issues with holding the throttle and driving accordingly

MK999
08-11-09, 08:09 PM
Not entirely sure how you'd set up a car to not aquaplane besides using skinny tyres tbh lol Cornering would be similar to running 110ish width tyres though, all the loads are taken on one side which pushes down through the water. it's going quick in a straight line that causes aquaplaning more.

Dan
08-11-09, 08:17 PM
tbh alot of issues are just solved with tyre choice, end of the day its only those 4 points of contact that keep you safe so spending abit more on decent tread makes a massive difference. I drove said car for almost 2 years as an everyday car with an average 100mile all round commute, motorway and A road and never once had an issue with aquaplaning, even at motorway speeds across the wide water drifts it stayed planted with no shimmy :confused:

MK999
08-11-09, 08:19 PM
Dunno then, mine was on fairly new budgets at the time, but with massive water dissipating grooves in them, I would have thought eagle F1's would be far worse than what i had in the wet.

burgo
08-11-09, 08:23 PM
you do know that eagle f1's are regarded as the best tyre for the wet?? quit how you think a budget could compete is beyond me

MK999
08-11-09, 08:25 PM
you do know that eagle f1's are regarded as the best tyre for the wet?? quit how you think a budget could compete is beyond me

Nope, had no idea, would have guessed they'd be toss from the minimal amount of grooves in them, the fact they're not joined in the middle, and the fact that theres no easy route for water to get out of the sides from the middle of the fancy looking grooves. Whereas the budgets I had have more in common with gravel rally tyres.

burgo
08-11-09, 08:39 PM
minimal grooves!!!! the whole tyre is a groove lmao

http://reviews.stangnet.com/data/19/40983gy_eagle_f1_gsd3_ci1_l.jpg

im confused how being joined in the middle helps in your opinion

Benn
08-11-09, 08:44 PM
5th gear, 100mph heavey rain no wipers needed when you use rain-x.. Spinning down the road when you hit standing water. But its easy ish to control...

MK999
08-11-09, 08:48 PM
minimal grooves!!!! the whole tyre is a groove lmao

http://reviews.stangnet.com/data/19/40983gy_eagle_f1_gsd3_ci1_l.jpg

im confused how being joined in the middle helps in your opinion

Well in an ideal world tyres all sit perfectly flat on a perfectly flat surface, in reality they do not, i'd rathe have water able to escape both ends. and I count 6 unjoined, small, grooves across any one contact point

Whereas a proper rain tyre has multiple grooves all joined up:
http://www.soton.ac.uk/ses/img/inline/greenpower/Greenpower_tyres_wet.jpg
Maximum of 9 grooves all joined up and every contact point across the tyre has a couple of lateral grooves as well as the horizontal.
http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/pl/pl/uniroyal/samochod/tematy/opony_letnie/osobowe/img/rainsport1_main_uv;property=onlineBild.jpg

If F1's work then fair enough, but it's not a design I understand, the above is how I'd expect a good wet weather tyre to look

Nova_Tek
08-11-09, 09:07 PM
Never had problems with my Nova and heavy rain/bad weather, it has never leaked, always starts first time, driving through BIG puddles with no issues what-so-ever totally reliable. Think your leads, dizzy etc may need replacing they are not expensive anyway.

Aquaplaning hasn't been a major issue really, I have Hankook Ventus K102's 195 and the merit weights under 800Kgs. Just need to drive suitably to the road conditions. Rubbish tyres wil make things worse, the wifes Yaris has 'el-ghetto ditchfinder FR500' tyres, a brand I've never heard of and I can wheelspin like crazy with an autobox.

Be sensible and you'll both be fine.

Jack
08-11-09, 10:05 PM
I never had a problem in any nova that I can remember tbh. My old hatchback used to get a little twitch on sometimes over big water, but I've never had a problem in any other. I do tend to be quite careful with the V6 in wet weather though.

I got the GT4 a bit damp the other day, driving to Frome in torrential rain, the roads were like rivers. Some bellend drives towards me at 60 so I had to dive for the kerb and hit a lagoon in the process; cue rather nasty misfire. Checked it out, turns out water had been blasted up the side of the engine and knocked an HT lead off the coilpack lol

Ben
09-11-09, 12:06 PM
Are you the Nebbz that used to be on BC?

Stuart
09-11-09, 12:40 PM
Tyre design is still relatively unknown tbh. Most of it is educated guess work from the designers.
Yes a facking great groove down the middle makes sense in your mind but as the F1 shows, its not vital. And to be honest a big groove wont do much when you hit standing water at 50+ anyway lol.

Nebbz, sounds like you need new tyres and a proper engine/ign service! Oh and some testicles.

Ben
09-11-09, 02:09 PM
Oh and some testicles.

If its the Nebbz im thinking of testicles is the last thing SHE needs lol!

Stuart
09-11-09, 02:11 PM
If its the Nebbz im thinking of testicles is the last thing SHE needs lol!

nope, still needed, upto her what she does with them.

Vausey_Nova_Knotla
09-11-09, 02:14 PM
i agree being joined in the middle cant be better than having more grooves but could be wrong

Stuart
09-11-09, 02:23 PM
i agree being joined in the middle cant be better than having more grooves but could be wrong

clearly they are cak.... Dan was lapping about as fast in the wet as most folks were in the dry.
My omega wouldnt budge its ass in the wet with F1's on the back.

etc etc etc
lets not let real world stuff get in the way of what we think a tyre should look like to grip in the wet lol

Jack
09-11-09, 02:31 PM
Tyre design is governed by four main factors: grip, water, longevity and aesthetics. Yes, they design tyres to look "good".

Most wet weather tyres, back in the day, had a large channel down the middle to a) allow the water somewhere to go and b) split the tyre into two smaller contact patches to reduce aquaplaning - only problem was that smaller contact patch = impaired dry weather handling. Modern all weather tyres use large angled grooves in the tyre which channel the water out sideways to the edge of the tyre and are just as effective, if not more so, at removing water from under the tyre whilst also retaining a large contact patch for good dry road handling. They will however be shoite on loose surfaces, deeper water, or snow/ice as the tyre can't dig down into the surface and grip

Welsh Dan
09-11-09, 02:57 PM
When I fitted Eagle F1 GS-D2s to my 1.2, I could drive it in the wet as though it was dry. It only fumbled once on a roundabout exit where the road surface was worn smooth and had about an inch and a half of standing water on it, even then it was controllable though and I managed to get around the bend, sideways. :d

http://ssl.delti.com/tyre-pictures/Goodyear/GSD2.jpg

Nebbz, get yourself some decent tyres first of all, then give the ignition side of things a good service. When you fit the new HT leads to the new spark plugs and dizzy cap, put some dielectric* grease on the terminals to keep the water out for good. When I used to do my pre-winter service I also used to spray around the mating surface of the dizzy cap and around the terminals of the coil with a waxy water repellant stuff. Be careful not to get any on the clutch cable though.

*the only place I could find it was ebay. Normal/lithium grease breaks down due to the electrical side of things.

andrew1988
10-11-09, 11:22 PM
My eagle F1's used to aquaplane. That was alway excessive speed in the wet etc etc. Uniroyal Rainsports are considered good wet weather tyre too and share a similar pattern to the F1's, so maybe there on to something lol

stupot89
10-11-09, 11:34 PM
kit car on 235's, your turn lol

245's on a nova

Welsh Dan
11-11-09, 12:49 AM
245's on a nova

235/70+difflock, if we're going to start being silly :d.

Dar
11-11-09, 12:09 PM
Are you the Nebbz that used to be on BC?
Yup it's the same Nebbz.

I would suggest looking at your ignition system and replacing TH leads, plugs etc. Then finding things the can be protected from the weather and protecting them:thumb: