PDA

View Full Version : Pressed number plates

Simon 1867
08-11-09, 10:59 AM
I have a set of germany style pressed metal number plates on the car, I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of where I can get Pressed British number plates?

Cheers in advance, +rep will be added:thumb:

loggyboy
08-11-09, 11:02 AM
It probly took you longer to right this post than it would have done to type
'pressed metal plates' in to a google search and found this:

http://www.craigsplates.com/standard-yellow-or-white-pressed-metal

:roll:

Simon 1867
08-11-09, 11:04 AM
It probly took you longer to right this post than it would have done to type
'pressed metal plates' in to a google search and found this:

http://www.craigsplates.com/standard-yellow-or-white-pressed-metal

:roll:

was having trouble accessing google, hence the post. Cheers matey

loggyboy
08-11-09, 11:06 AM
fair enough lol

Connor
08-11-09, 06:54 PM
www.dubmeister.co.uk also do really good british pressed plates

Adam
08-11-09, 06:55 PM
They are illegal btw

dave.gsi
08-11-09, 06:58 PM
so is sex with underage girls lol

Keif
08-11-09, 07:08 PM
Regal Autosport do legal UK pressed plates.

Click Me (http://www.regal-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Regal_UK_Legal_Pressed_Plates.html)

Benn
08-11-09, 07:23 PM
Regal Autosport do legal UK pressed plates.

Click Me (http://www.regal-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Regal_UK_Legal_Pressed_Plates.html)

As are...

www.dubmeister.co.uk also do really good british pressed plates

craig green
08-11-09, 07:58 PM
Pressed plates are currently the HENLEY'S T-shirt of modified cars.

Every tw@t has them.

Benn
08-11-09, 08:16 PM
What's a "henley's tshirt?

Adam
08-11-09, 08:17 PM
A t-shirt with "Henleys" on it lol

Benn
08-11-09, 08:18 PM
Oh, sounds sh*t.

MK999
08-11-09, 08:24 PM
Pressed plates are currently the HENLEY'S T-shirt of modified cars.

Every tw@t has them.

Generally on cars they really don't suit though, if you do it well they're alright imo :)

1.3sr_kane
08-11-09, 10:45 PM
you can buy legal pressed metal number plates from dubmeister. have some on my car. they just need to be reflective correct spacing and lettering with the id number stamped on it... which is exactly what said dubmeister offer!

MattBrown
08-11-09, 10:50 PM
Are my c reg plates legal then?

They were fitted from new so I'm assured, as the dealers name is on them?

Also, are black with silver letters legal?

Jack
08-11-09, 10:52 PM
Only if fitted to a Pre-'73 car.

Pressed plates are legal so long as they conform to the british standard for number plates; as long as the font, spacing, reflectivity, markings etc are all correct then I don't see why pressed metal plates should be illegal.

Mind you, according the police at Trax this year, its perfectly legal to have your number plate on upside down :roll:

bmw156
08-11-09, 10:53 PM
Are my c reg plates legal then?

They were fitted from new so I'm assured, as the dealers name is on them?

that is age related, has to be befor 1970ish i think. unless your from ireland then you might be alright??

CoolTiger
08-11-09, 10:53 PM
Mind you, according the police at Trax this year, its perfectly legal to have your number plate on upside down :roll:

cool **** speedlines gsi kits from now on its cool to have upside down plate :D

1.3sr_kane
08-11-09, 10:55 PM
Pressed plates are legal so long as they conform to the british standard for number plates; as long as the font, spacing, reflectivity, markings etc are all correct then I don't see why pressed metal plates should be illegal.

thats exactly what dubmeister offer... but the police may still argue they are illegal as they dont like to proven wrong.. so if you know your stuff you will be ok and avoid the police giving you the 30quid fine (doughnut money).

Benn
08-11-09, 11:31 PM

Well there's no law against it...

Connor
09-11-09, 01:29 AM
Although i mentioned the dubmeister site and they say its 100% legal.
The Essex police have taken a dislike to them and my friend who had them on his car, still got fined £30 for them so has now removed them.
I think its down to luck when you get pulled over because he got pulled before for having a brake light out by traffic plice and said nothing about the plates!

Ben
09-11-09, 01:33 AM
I was going to say they maybe legal ones but if the police have it about them and you argue they are legal they will find something to fine you for!

Royston
09-11-09, 06:58 AM
I have pressed plates on my SR got them from Framptons, they're on the net.

my SR always had a pressed number plate on the front, certainly in keeping with the period of my car, don't know if they're legal on modern stuff, but don't see why not if they meet the requirements.

A guy I know had German style pressed plates with spacings and german markings, he got pulled and fined though these clearly wrong letter size/spacing issues, was only a matter of time to get pulled!.

as stated previously black/silver plates are pre '73 only to be legal

Jack
09-11-09, 01:20 PM
my SR always had a pressed number plate on the front, certainly in keeping with the period of my car
They stopped issuing pressed metal plates sometime in the 70s when they switched to plastic ones, so how are they in period with any Nova? Unless its a Chevy Nova lol

Nova_Tek
09-11-09, 01:48 PM
Pressed plates look good on the right car / car from that era. Seen owners of new cars fit them, sometime looks ok but some cars are better off having moden plates tbh. I'd do it when I get the Nova finished think it will suit the MK1 very nicely, not coz of the era but the Nova's boxy look and oldskoolness.

Stuart
09-11-09, 01:57 PM
Just gouge the reg into the bonnet and boot with a grinder :)

Nova_Tek
09-11-09, 01:58 PM
lol

MattBrown
09-11-09, 02:07 PM
This whole german plate thingy, if there legal in europe, then im sure you could stand up in court, and get away with german plates?

As if they pass european standards, then that makes them legal for this shambles we call the european union.

Stuart
09-11-09, 02:09 PM
This whole german plate thingy, if there legal in europe, then im sure you could stand up in court, and get away with german plates?

As if they pass european standards, then that makes them legal for this shambles we call the european union.

but we arent fully in it ;)

Ben
09-11-09, 02:13 PM

you can smoke in bars in belguim does not mean you can in england!

Driving down the wrong side of the road and saying well they do that in Germany wouldnt stand up in court either.

Royston
09-11-09, 04:16 PM
They stopped issuing pressed metal plates sometime in the 70s when they switched to plastic ones, so how are they in period with any Nova? Unless its a Chevy Nova lol

Jack You maybe right over the period bit and certainly the majority of car plates by the '80's were plastic, but metal pressed ones were available.

I bought a pressed white square pressed number plate for my car as an a squaret plastic one didn't like to fit the front "V" shape of the bumper, was worried it would break.

My front number plate was bought @ 1989, also we ran trucks with pressed plates white/yellow.

I am old enough to knowlollol

General Lee
09-11-09, 04:25 PM
I like pressed plates. I think they look well. I hated it when it had standard plates on. Pic Whoring

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll232/nathnova/My%201988%20Nova%20Saloon/IMG_0262.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll232/nathnova/My%201988%20Nova%20Saloon/IMG_0259.jpg

MattBrown
09-11-09, 10:47 PM
you can smoke in bars in belguim does not mean you can in england!

Driving down the wrong side of the road and saying well they do that in Germany wouldnt stand up in court either.

Is there a specific law on European plates?

They would be hard pressed to get you surely??

MK999
09-11-09, 10:56 PM

Only way they'd have any issue with it is if their pen had run out, and I'm pretty sure they can borrow one or send the note on in the post.

AlexW
09-11-09, 10:56 PM
UK law should overrule for any UK cars?

Bubba
10-11-09, 12:22 AM
i got done for mine on the cav, they were dubmeister ones, not reflective, incorrect font, D country logo, no BS/ISO number £30 fine...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/Dark_Yoda/DSC00630-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/Dark_Yoda/DSC00632-1.jpg

GOD i miss my cav :(

i beleive u can have them on if your car is MOT'd in that country.

Hobbit
10-11-09, 03:44 AM
My local auto factors sell the, ;)

Hobbit
10-11-09, 03:45 AM
gay double postness :(

Ben
10-11-09, 10:54 AM

No thats my point exactly, you said because there legal in germany then they should be legal in the uk.

Prey
10-11-09, 02:23 PM
You can get 'show' ones off ebay with the reflective backing, standard-ish font and no badges - they seem to be pretty safe.

craig green
10-11-09, 02:27 PM
I like pressed plates. I think they look well. I hated it when it had standard plates on. Pic Whoring

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll232/nathnova/My%201988%20Nova%20Saloon/IMG_0262.jpg

It's clearly a case of opinion, because I think they look gash. Your car isnt German, never was, never will be & probably hasnt been any where near the German border. Scene victim if ever I saw one. You read Fast Car by chance?

General Lee
10-11-09, 02:34 PM
It's clearly a case of opinion, because I think they look gash. Your car isnt German, never was, never will be & probably hasnt been any where near the German border. Scene victim if ever I saw one. You read Fast Car by chance?

eerm no, had these on there since i had it and that was a good year and a half ago, scene victim lol no chance i do what i like, i like what i do. Nova purist my a**e. Scene victim one word speedlines

Simon 1867
12-11-09, 07:57 AM
Thanks for everyones help...

L14MNP
12-11-09, 11:45 AM
lol @ only owning pressed plates for around a year. The scene is strong with this one! Back in the day they were hard to acquire, Dubmeister being the only source. I got one, but mostly it's just for show on the garage wall. This was about 2.5 years back.

I'm wanting a set of the white and yellow tin UK plates with raised black plastic lettering. 70's style. You never see them.

I think I know why, I found one place that done them and they were around £65 a pair! Can't even find that link now. Any leads?

They look the business on some older cars (IMO).

General Lee
12-11-09, 11:50 AM
lol @ only owning pressed plates for around a year. The scene is strong with this one!.

:wtf: yeah and a half.

L14MNP
12-11-09, 11:54 AM
lol. They're everywhere now. I don't/didn't like the whole German vibe but it was all you could get. GB ones would look better now given they're on a GB car IMO.

ANPR don't like them either.

brainsnova
12-11-09, 11:55 AM
can you get them 5 inch by 5 inch for my vespa.

L14MNP
12-11-09, 12:01 PM
can you get them 5 inch by 5 inch for my vespa.

Dunno about 5x5 but you can get them in Germania lol.

You can even have the scene'd out tax disc stickers and all that crap. :thumb:

brainsnova
12-11-09, 12:11 PM
if i get any bigger all my seam smoothing will be covered lol

General Lee
12-11-09, 12:35 PM
lol. They're everywhere now. I don't/didn't like the whole German vibe but it was all you could get. GB ones would look better now given they're on a GB car IMO.

ANPR don't like them either.

Yeah they would actually, i was recently going to go for the ol black n silver because black car and i thought it would look pretty stealthy, but not sure because of legailty and what people think of them.

L14MNP
12-11-09, 12:54 PM
Pre '73 only mate. They're guaranteed to get you in trouble. :( lol

Would look cool though.

novanova636
12-11-09, 01:20 PM
i have had them on my car for 6 months and use it every day. never had a look from the police!

Also have a look at theplateman.com