PDA

View Full Version : should i spray ma gsi spoiler?

mols1.2i
17-03-03, 05:17 PM
it needs a spray ! can i spray it with a normal can of spray paint?

cheers.

mols1.2i
17-03-03, 05:51 PM
can sum 1 plz reply coz im gonna go and get a can of flame red spray paint the now if i can do it that waY!

mullinz
17-03-03, 07:03 PM
alrite m8
ur probably better off leaving it 2 the proffesionals cause you may to prep and treat the spoiler b4 u can spray it. depends if you hav done any sraying b4, up 2 u m8

Euan
17-03-03, 07:12 PM
rub it down prime it and then paint it.

should be fine if you do a could few coats of each.

Jim
17-03-03, 07:39 PM
You can spray it with a normal can of spray paint, but you need to prepare it first.

To prepare the surface, sand down the spoiler with (wet) 400 wet and dry sandpaper. make sure it's smooth as you can get and free of any oils.

Then use spray filler to get rid of any tiny holes/blemishes. Sand this back with (wet) 800 wet and dry.

Spray again with spray filler, sand this back with (wet) 1200 wet and dry.

Then spray at least two coats of primer and sand back both coats with 1500wet and dry.

Then start spraying with the colour, taking your time, sanding back with each coat until you are happy eventually happy with the finish.

This is rough guide, it's down to the amount of preperation that you put into the spoiler which will affect the final quality of the finish.

Hope this helps,

Jim

whitey
17-03-03, 07:41 PM
Since the car is red, there will be a deffo difference in the colour of the spoiler to the car! Best bet therefore is to get it done properly, wont be much!
Will be a big enough diff between doing yourslef though! Could always try spraying it yourself! Will be good practice anyway, if it looks wrong or you cock it up, rub it down and let a bodyshop do it coz they can colour match it too!

mikeoxford
17-03-03, 10:23 PM
key is preparation............ really is

mark_GSi
18-03-03, 11:13 AM
ive always found m8, do everything ur self (if you can) except spraying, ive sprayed bits b4 and wished i hadent (xcuse my spelling)

mikeoxford
18-03-03, 02:03 PM
preperation, and LOTS of THIN layers, dont go trying to do it all in one go

ade
18-03-03, 11:11 PM
its a piece of p!ss mols m8!

I did mine and its still mint!

Simple -

1 - strip down so nice and smooth (take off car 1st). shake cans very well - even leave to stand in hot (not boiling) water for 5 mins to loosen paint. Clean surface using either tack cloth or white spirit. Ensure fully dry
1a - if youre good and have a flat stable surface (like a sturdy table) use two bricks set apart and balance spoiler on the bricks on the edge thats attached to the car - allowing you to spray all round it without having to faff about doind one side then the other!
2 - prime using plastic primer - 3 coats thin layers all over - pause 3 mins between coats - hold can about 10cm from spoiler and spray even coats
3 - allow to dry fully (48 hours in warm area) leave on bricks is best
4 - smooth with 800 grit wet n dry (use dry) - just to remove the roughness of the paint.
5 - clean surface - tack cloth or white spirit and set back up on bricks
6 - prep colour cans in same was as primer cans (shake/hot water)
7 - apply colour paint in same way as primer - 3 coats 3 mins between coats (or whatever can says)
8 - once dry 48 hours - gently smooth using 800/1000 wet n dry (wet)
9 - assess depth of colour - if you feel needs more depth apply a couple more coats - smooth 1000 wet n dry (wet) once fully dry 48 hours (as above). Allow to dry for further 3 days (so paint can cure)
10 - apply lacquer - this will smooth out the dullness of the smoothing process to reveal smooth finished item
11 - allow to dry for a week (warm area) to fully cure before polishing with t-cut etc...

Thats the long way...

I did mine in 3 days -
smooth and primer in day one
smooth and (black) colour coat in day 2
smooth and lacquer in day 3
came out really shiney and still looks minted!!!

Ade
:D

mols1.2i
18-03-03, 11:53 PM
ur sum boy ade! wanna b ma personal mechanic/painter?
lol!

ade
19-03-03, 12:39 AM
lol m8! bring it down when wedo yer dash! Should be getting mine next week

:D