PDA

View Full Version : 1985 MK2 Astra 1.3L- Won't start

Lynsey
06-11-09, 05:25 PM
Hi all,

I've just went and saved an old Mk2 from the scrappy but it doesn't seem too greatful! It's a one owner from new Mexico Red 5-door with one owner from new and every bit of paperwork dating back to 1985.

However:

It will only run intermittently. It's a 1.3 with auto choke.

I've put a tenner of fuel in it but it doesn't seem to want to pump any up to the carb. I've tried swapping the pump for another but that doesn't seem to work. Pushing down on the pumps would seem to indicate they're able to pump fuel as some squirts out.

There is definitely fuel able to get to the pump, as I managed to siphon some up (mmm petrol, yum).

Is it likely to be a pump failure? Pour petrol in the carb and it'll fire up no problem then cut out.

It's been that long since I owned anything with a carb on it!

Does anyone have a shot of the pipework under the bonnet from one? Just in case the former owner has been messing with it.

Cheers, Lynz.

Sloth
06-11-09, 05:28 PM
possible that the float is stuck, whip the carb top off and check, i cant see 2 separate pumps being duff.

Lynsey
06-11-09, 05:30 PM
No fuel is getting to the carb. It isn't even filling the fuel filter up.

Mike
06-11-09, 05:31 PM
Pump has seized.

Nova mechanical pumps are the same part though.

Sloth
06-11-09, 05:31 PM
pump. have you checked that the cam lobe on the cam is actually in one peice? i've seen em wear right down and not contact the pump. can you rig an electric pump up to feed it instead?

Lynsey
06-11-09, 05:34 PM
Will have a better look at both of those things tomorrow :thumb: Must be something simple.

Mike
06-11-09, 05:35 PM
Remove the fuel inlet pipe from the carb, turn the engine over. If no fuels spraying out siad pipe, youve already fixed it :thumb:

Guderian
06-11-09, 05:36 PM
Wot he said. ^^^^

Plus note that on some cars it is possible to reverse the hoses on the pump, on others the spouts are different sizes to stop this happening. Not sure which yours will be. There should be a small arrow on the pump body somewhere to indicate direction of flow.

If you do get it running consider changing carb. to manual choke. Auto choke on a GM varajet carb (which i assume yours IS) can be a pain in the purse come cold weather january/february. But then again you could get lucky if it is a 'happy' carburettor.

Leeboo
08-11-09, 03:54 AM
If all of that fails, make sure the fuel pick up pipe inside the tank isn't rotten.

~~joycey~~
08-11-09, 06:42 AM
Nice one lynz :)

Got any pics?

John
08-11-09, 08:21 AM
sounds like the pump Lynz, like others have said, check the lobe on the cam also.

blacknovagsi
08-11-09, 08:36 AM
sounds daft but is the filter fitted the right way?

Spudly
08-11-09, 09:05 AM
If the fuel filter you mention is a plastic inline filter remove it and turn the car over, see if fuel then squirts through, i had someone fit one into mine and the jubilee clip crushed the plastic pipe so no fuel could get through, i shouted at my mate for fitting it and threw it in the bin, theres a filter in the tank so an inline one isnt really needed, let us know how you get on Lynz :d

mowgli
08-11-09, 09:28 AM
1. there could be so much crap in the tank that it just won't let any through. undo the feed pipe to the pump & blow down it.. if you can't hear bubbling in the tank, then the pipe or tank could be clogged..

2. this happened to me once on a mk2 astra.... someone pulled the feed pipe downwards near the sill, and cut it. this caused a siphon so they could nick fuel, the basted had done 6 other cars in my area, but stopped after mine, cos the D badge had fallen off, so he put derv in his instead............ you can fill the tank all you want afterwards & it will not siphon through so you think the pump is knackered.. worth a look