PDA

View Full Version : Corsa B 1.4 8 v oil leak between engine and gearbox

Trinidadcorsa
04-11-09, 05:36 PM
I have a bad oil leak between the engine and gearbox, someone said they think it's the main rear seal on the bottom of the engine?? it's engine oil leaking out, anybody has any ideas how to fix this, do i have to drop the engine and gearbox to repair it?

Welsh Dan
04-11-09, 05:40 PM
Likely candidates are the crank oil seal(engine out, crank out, big job) or the sump bolts are loose, or the sump gasket is leaking. If its the crank oil seal as you've been told, it might be cheaper to buy a running 1.4 8v and swap the engines over.

Southie
04-11-09, 05:46 PM
Welcome to png. All the way from Trinidad :thumb:

Trinidadcorsa
04-11-09, 05:50 PM
that's what i thought, what other engines can bolt on to that gearbox? it would be nice to get a little more power..

Trinidadcorsa
04-11-09, 06:01 PM
Thanks man! I joined just because I saw your bike carbs!!! Instantly thought on putting it into my car, even has the square ports etc. I have to get this oil leak sorted first.... I think it's a bad job from a guy who changed the clutch, got back the car with all the gearbox bolts loose and had to tighten up everything myself. it's sad but corsas are rare here, no one know how to fix them, everyone just drops scarlet 4fte engines in them. I don't want to go with a crossbread... they break driveshafts and have electric problems...I just have to find a good way to import parts.. I want to fix this myself... that's why i was askin ...but it looks like a huge job!

Andy
04-11-09, 06:52 PM
It depends where its leaking from,if it was coming from out the gearbox it would be the crankshaft oil seal behind the flywheel.The box will have an inspection plate on,remove this and have a feel around to see if there is oil in there.Inside the bellhousing area of the gearbox should be dry.
I would most likely say its the sump though,after all it is a Vauxhall (Opel in your case) lol

AlexW
04-11-09, 06:58 PM
Likely candidates are the crank oil seal(engine out, crank out, big job) or the sump bolts are loose, or the sump gasket is leaking. If its the crank oil seal as you've been told, it might be cheaper to buy a running 1.4 8v and swap the engines over.

Im sorry, crank out? No its not, flywheel off and new bolts from vauxhall/opel.

Preety simple for somone who knows what there doing.

Mark Sparks
04-11-09, 07:00 PM
have a look on the geabox there might ba a plate you can take of some still used the early box. it will be at the bottom with 4, 11mm bolts. if so you can do it easy or a garage could do it cheap. post some pics if you are not sure ill be able to help anytime.

Trinidadcorsa
04-11-09, 07:01 PM
Thanks guys! I will take off the inspection plate and check it out! see if the clutch plate an flywheel are dry. I may just drop the sump and reseal it to see if that will do it. I'll let you know.

Andy
04-11-09, 07:01 PM
Im sorry, crank out? No its not, flywheel off and new bolts from vauxhall/opel.

Preety simple for somone who knows what there doing.
Was just gonna say thats a load of rubbish,ive changed a few while the fly has been off for skimming at my old work

Mark Sparks
04-11-09, 07:09 PM
You will need a coulple of special tools such as puller to get the main shaft out and the little clips that squeeze the preasure plate part from that simple.

Andy
04-11-09, 07:11 PM
What? Main shaft? If its engine oil=crankshaft oil seal, then what does it have to do with the gearbox????

Trinidadcorsa
04-11-09, 07:20 PM
it's definately engine oil, engine oil is going down and it dosn't smoke, and the gearbox is full, I checked that, took the bolt off by the driveshaft and oil came out, so it look like my options are the sump is leaking ( which i don't think so because i tightened up those bolts already and there was no difference) or the crankshaft seal.. What's the easiest way droping the gear box alone or dropping engine and gearbox and separating them to get to the seal?

Andy
04-11-09, 07:25 PM
I dont think it will be crank seal,my money is on the sump.But to get to the seal just take the box off.
The gearbox oil should be red ATF oil

Mark Sparks
04-11-09, 07:26 PM
What? Main shaft? If its engine oil=crankshaft oil seal, then what does it have to do with the gearbox????To change the crankshaft oil seal you need to remove clutch and fly wheel the easiest way is to do it in situe as the clutch runs on the main shaft you must pull it out thanks for asking :p

AlexW
04-11-09, 07:28 PM
If it was me id just drop the gearbox, remember your have to support the engine somehow as ofc nothing would be holding it where the gearbox was.

Make sure that it is that tho, a lot of work (day or two depending how fast you work) to find out its somthing else.

Andy
04-11-09, 07:37 PM
Much easier to take the box off i think,plus it can be done with minimal tools.

Trinidadcorsa
04-11-09, 07:39 PM
Man Thanks for all the info, it's good to know what i will be getting into. you guys are great!! I will drop the sump and reseal it first... see what happens. hopefully that will solve all my problems.... will let u guys know how it goes. I hope it not the crankshaft seal!!!!

Andy
04-11-09, 07:42 PM
When you get to 15 posts please put some pics up of your car for us to see aswell

Trinidadcorsa
04-11-09, 08:18 PM
definately! it looks like **** now but I just got it to start a project, I had two before as company cars and love driving them. This one is a good strong car, just needs a little work, just got some 15' rims to put on etc. I wanna suprise those scarlets and hondas.... it's a 95 corsa b 1.6 SPI 8 v..5 forward. just has a k&n for now, but I will be gutting all the interior, and then I'll be looking for a reliable engine and gearbox setup. I want to take my time and do it right, so u guys are gonna help me as i go along!!

Welsh Dan
04-11-09, 09:15 PM
Sorry guys, I stand corrected then :).