PDA

View Full Version : corsa c hand brake problems

Huffy
04-11-09, 04:27 PM
hello people my girlfriends just bought a corsa c sxi on a 53 plate everything seems to be ok with it bar the hand brake she has to yank it when shes on a hill so the car doesnt roll she took it the garage yesterday the checked the drums over gave them a clean and tested it on the rollers they said alls fine and up to mot standard but she had the same problem on the hill again ??? shes rang the garage back an theyve said they carnt do any more is this a common fault with the corsa c's the hand brake i know were a nova site but i thought id ask to see if any one could inlighten me.

thanks very much andy. :thumb:

Sloth
04-11-09, 04:30 PM
i had this issue on mine, i ended up fitting new shoes and drums. make sure your cables are all coated in grease an move extremely freely. set it so that at 5 clicks it locks up. i ended up fitting a disk back beam to mine as i lost the hand brake after 3 months.

Huffy
04-11-09, 04:39 PM
ill check it out like but dont think she'll fancy paying out for new drums and shoes are the any other common faults on the corsa c that you know of ive heard a story about the electrics are dodgy on them, well that was on a friends 1.4sri 54 plate i think ?

phazer
04-11-09, 04:55 PM
They are this bad. I've done ours few times but it only works well for a few days before you need a million clicks for a hill start. Don't honestly think replacing everything will make much difference after a few weeks.

Electrics aren't dodgy as such, there was a recall for the ABS unit (twice!) as water could get in and start a fire in some circumstances. They tried to do a cheap repair first time round which didn't work. Whole new unit was fitted second time.

Steering racks fail for fun, though you can now get repair kits for £37 per side which is a bonus as you have to drop the sub frame to get the rack out.
Steering column UJ can fail as can the whole steering column - major cost.

Oh and we had front wheel bearings done under warranty too.

Guderian
04-11-09, 05:12 PM
...Speaking of Corsa's, my MOT man failed my Nova 2 on frayed handbrake cables.....and said ' if it makes you feel any better we had a 2005 corsa in here the other day which failed on the same problem'

Been told both cables no longer supplied by vauxhall, but got the NS one on order from old stock...

query- Are there any corsa cable sets that are compatible with late Nova hatches..? Vauxhall are not much help on this, their database seems very poor. Rubbish in, rubbish out.

Welsh Dan
04-11-09, 05:41 PM
...Speaking of Corsa's, my MOT man failed my Nova 2 on frayed handbrake cables.....and said ' if it makes you feel any better we had a 2005 corsa in here the other day which failed on the same problem'

Been told both cables no longer supplied by vauxhall, but got the NS one on order from old stock...

query- Are there any corsa cable sets that are compatible with late Nova hatches..? Vauxhall are not much help on this, their database seems very poor. Rubbish in, rubbish out.

Pattern parts are still readily available. Try a local motor factors :thumb:.

--ToM--
05-11-09, 01:07 PM
chain driven FTL

phazer
05-11-09, 04:51 PM
A chain driven handbrake? Now that might make it work better lol

Rich
05-11-09, 05:00 PM
Its normal to give a corsa c handbrake an extra yank on hills, it is a common problem and no matter what you do the result is the same.

--ToM--
06-11-09, 09:20 AM
i meant the car in general lol

MattBrown
06-11-09, 09:38 AM
Cant you just adjust it?

AKA lie under the fooker, and tighten the cables?

New handbrake shoes?

The one on offplots mrs corsa is perfect?

Or it seems it?

Guderian
06-11-09, 12:22 PM
Thanks Welsh Dan, got both Nova cables from Motex/Traders in Chelmsford.
Quality looks reasonable. £18 all in.

Welsh Dan
06-11-09, 12:52 PM
Thanks Welsh Dan, got both Nova cables from Motex/Traders in Chelmsford.
Quality looks reasonable. £18 all in.

You're welcome.

phazer
06-11-09, 05:57 PM
Cant you just adjust it?

AKA lie under the fooker, and tighten the cables?

New handbrake shoes?

The one on offplots mrs corsa is perfect?

Or it seems it?

You tighten the cables at the handbrake lever - theres an adjuster. We've had ours from 8k miles and it's always been bad. Even Vauxhall said it was normal lol

Mike
06-11-09, 06:01 PM
Yep, Corsa C handbrakes seem pants. My van & my sisters 51 reg Comfort are both poo. Neither handbrake turn there that wack.