PDA

View Full Version : Info on this Nova please ?

LEWI007
03-11-09, 07:12 PM
Well i like it so much ive decided to do mine just like it, this looks like a picture that was taken in the 90s, im just wondering if anyone knows who the car belonged to and if its still about etc ??

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh57/LEWI007/IMG_0001-3.jpg

wwmnw
03-11-09, 07:13 PM
Its not on the mid database :(

Lol at the guy copping a cheeky feel.

matt_vaughan
03-11-09, 07:14 PM
ha bloke in background

damn that cage is meaty lol

SRimon
03-11-09, 07:15 PM
That Karl Rowntree's Nova.

One of the best!

MattBrown
03-11-09, 07:15 PM
Lol at bloke!

Cage looks mint!

Spudly
03-11-09, 07:16 PM
That Karl Rowntree's Nova.

One of the best!

And is still alive and kicking, iirc its out in Germany now as he lives there?

That will by why its not on the MID, either that or its away for winter:thumb:

Nick J
Thats Karl rowntrees...... awesome car! Here's a pic from this year at billing.......

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/nj_photo/DSC00266.jpg?t=1256466819

wwmnw

That will by why its not on the MID, either that or its away for winter:thumb:

That would be why lol

LEWI007
03-11-09, 07:18 PM
DVLA Search gives me this, looks like its been scrapped or just off the road ?
The vehicle details for D151 GFD are:
Date of Liability 01 10 2010 Date of First Registration 05 01 1987 Year of Manufacture 1987 Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2000CC CO2 Emissions Not Available Fuel Type Petrol Export Marker Not Applicable Vehicle Status SORN Not Due Vehicle Colour RED Vehicle Type Approval null

Another couple of pics i collected of it, and ALSO, does anyone know what rear lights they are or are they just tinted clear ones ?

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh57/LEWI007/IMG-2.jpg
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh57/LEWI007/pics1395dw.jpg

SRimon
03-11-09, 07:19 PM
I loved it on the speedlines in its 90's esque pose!

Spudly
03-11-09, 07:20 PM
Dont be silly you plum its not scrapped read my above post and stand in the wrong corner :p

Would be some of the old red tinted ones you could buy a few years back i reckon:thumb:

LEWI007
03-11-09, 07:20 PM
Well its nice to know its still around, looks like hes made a few changes to it since the 90s, bit shocked that its in germany.

MARTIN KELSON
03-11-09, 07:21 PM

I believe Karl & the Nova are now back living in UK.

Not seem him recently.
I think he is spending alot of time and no doubt money restoring a split screen VW Camper.

LEWI007
03-11-09, 07:22 PM
So you can actually buy those lights or they are DIY ?

Spudly
03-11-09, 07:23 PM
I believe Karl & the Nova are now back living in UK.

Not seem him recently.
I think he is spending alot of time and no doubt money restoring a split screen VW Camper.

Ahh, well i knew he was out near the ring and he said last time he was online that i remember that air cooled veedubs were always something he loved and that the nova was taking a sideline to a splitty, but didnt know he was back over here, she will be hiding away for the winter then i reckon, cheers for info Martin:thumb:

w88rdy
03-11-09, 07:25 PM
I had those rear lights back then, can speak german so im struggling to get a set lol

Nick J
03-11-09, 07:28 PM
I had those rear lights back then, can speak german so im struggling to get a set lol

I had those lights on my red nova for a short period... Available only as far as I could find anyhow through german companys on ebay. And they are asking a fortune for them. Approx $200 Euro's.

Nick.

Matt Pickering
03-11-09, 07:30 PM
Pic's with the speedlines on are from Trax 2002, and i took those shots!!!!

LEWI007
03-11-09, 07:32 PM
Pic's with the speedlines on are from Trax 2002, and i took those shots!!!!

Which pictures did you take ?

I migh sound a bit daft with all the questions i ask but.

what camera were you using if you remember ? lol

Southie
03-11-09, 07:35 PM
Is there a wip of his car anywhere?

Nick J
03-11-09, 09:38 PM
Is there a wip of his car anywhere?

You mean Karl' mate? If so as far as Im aware No. it was built many moons ago!

Spudly
03-11-09, 09:40 PM

It was built before the internet was it not?

Benn
03-11-09, 09:44 PM
So you can actually buy those lights or they are DIY ?

Yes loads on ebay.de

LEWI007
03-11-09, 10:08 PM
Ahh thanks, is there any name for them in particular ?

Benn
03-11-09, 10:14 PM
Google says Rücklichter which sounds right...

LEWI007
03-11-09, 10:20 PM
Thanks for that mate

peester
03-11-09, 10:22 PM
was it restored the year i first went to trax (02?) and saw it there on the png stand - attracted a lot of attention.. well it always does.
Like jeans - that look certainly wont go out of fashion..

*Edit: those red rear lights are those pricey MHW units that tbh can be quite easily replicated - just tint spray the o.e amber/clear rear light parts and then sand-down and red spray the black outline..

Benn
04-11-09, 08:11 AM
Tint spray never looks as good, imo and fades like funk in the sun.

Southie
04-11-09, 08:16 AM

That's a shame, I think it would of been a good build. Has anyone got an old mag feature of it?

peester
04-11-09, 08:24 AM
Tint spray never looks as good, imo and fades like funk in the sun.

well lacquer over the top of the lot, helps seal.. but yeah its not going to be as good as factory fresh..

LEWI007
04-11-09, 09:57 AM
Ive already got a set of clear rear lights, i was going to gt some tinting FILM and put it on.

Southie - that isnt a shame, this is a true old school car, i think its very cool that it was built before the internet and its still around today !

craig green
04-11-09, 11:35 AM
Has anyone got an old mag feature of it?

It was featured in TV at some point, no idea which issue it was exactly.

Karl restored it throughout 2001/2002. The car was meant to debut at the (old) PNG national weekend in 2002 at Wicksteed Park, but the head went porous on the way to the event & it ended up debuting at Trax that year iirc.

I have a stack of pics of it from various shows over the years.

craig green
04-11-09, 11:58 AM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/retro%20Novas%20PNG/karlsXE001.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/retro%20Novas%20PNG/karlsXE003.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/retro%20Novas%20PNG/karlsXE004.jpg

January 2004 issue.

Southie
04-11-09, 12:01 PM
Good work Craig :thumb: Have a touch of Northern rep :d

Or maybe not :( You must spread some love around before giving it to craig green again.

SRimon
05-11-09, 06:26 PM
Awesome feature that!

craig green
05-11-09, 06:30 PM
Try repping me for it if ya like! lol

I have stumbled accross a load of old photos earlier, more of Karls in there. Need to scan them in.

Pistol Pete
05-11-09, 06:30 PM
Cracking car. One of my favourites.

Seeing that scanned in feature reminds me....must dig out my old TV mags (cars not thai ladyboys lol) and sort them.

Southie
05-11-09, 06:31 PM
Southie - that isnt a shame, this is a true old school car, i think its very cool that it was built before the internet and its still around today !
It's a shame as I would have enjoyed reading more about the car and what went on to achieve such a stunning motor. :roll:

L14MNP
05-11-09, 07:09 PM
Fcuking legend of a car.

This is all.

Matt Pickering
05-11-09, 08:52 PM
Which pictures did you take ?

I migh sound a bit daft with all the questions i ask but.

what camera were you using if you remember ? lol

My camera!!!

Nick J
05-11-09, 08:58 PM
If anyone has that Jan 2004 issue that they would be willing to sell please let me know. Id like to have a read of that.

Nick.

Graeme
05-11-09, 09:30 PM
Stunning, love the early pics, well worthy of a right click and save

andybishop
05-11-09, 09:37 PM
I have loads of pictures of Karl's car through the year, and lot of it at various stages. I've helped out with the car quite a bit over the years.

This is a page I did when the feature was first out, just found it on my web server

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/karltv.htm

Click on the pictures in the middle and then you can resize them to make them readable with the magnifier.

Here it is tucked away in my garage earlier this year having some work done.

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/NovaTurboModifications2009/photo7.jpg

More pictures here...

http://www.nova-turbo.co.uk/NovaTurboModifications2009/index.html

Southie
06-11-09, 08:39 AM
Cheers Andy for those, just what I wanted to read :cool:

Nice touch on the boost gauge on yours btw.

mayhem
06-11-09, 02:30 PM
those clusters are for sale at every dutch opel meeting... time for some of you to take an euro trip lol
iirc the where 160 euro last season.

very sexy nova btw.

RJM25R
06-11-09, 08:00 PM
I sold someofthose red lights lastyear for £50 to Wilson IIRC?

Benn
06-11-09, 08:19 PM
those clusters are for sale at every dutch opel meeting... time for some of you to take an euro trip lol
iirc the where 160 euro last season.

very sexy nova btw.

I bought a few bits from a German guy, did think about buying a few pairs to sell..

Graeme
06-11-09, 08:40 PM
I'd take a set

karl Rowntree
06-11-09, 09:46 PM
Evening all

Bit of a shock to see people still intrested in the old nova considering the standard of builds on the forum lately. Cant believe it was 2002 that we finished the rebuild, time flys! Done quite alot since then to the car but it has become a pure track car, being used just out at the Nurburgring. Used the car once this year, 16 laps of the Nurburgring lol. Just dont get the time to drive it but when i do i make sure i enjoy it. At the mo its locked up safe and dry until next year when i will probably do the odd show and a trip over to Germany again with the gang, until then got a few jobs to do on it. It will never be a show car again but will make sure its kept as mint as i can, in the mean time below is my newproject... A 1960 splitscreen. Just finished it (registered and mot'd with alot still to do) and the pictures show it last weekend down at the Gower coast. Its taken 3 years and alot of energy and money to get it on the road. If you think it takes alot to build a nova, try one of these!! Well worth it though;)

Cheers guys. Karl

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s258/karlrowntree/144.jpghttp://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s258/karlrowntree/129.jpg

Nick J
06-11-09, 09:54 PM
Very nice Karl... Its good to see you havent lost your interest and are still keeping busy with something albeit Vag! :)

Nick.

karl Rowntree
06-11-09, 10:08 PM
Cheers Nick, the camper is pure fun and enjoyement. Amazing the attention it gets when we are out and about in it. Also its an investment, what I spend on it I know I can get it back. Unlike the nova, serious amounts of money and its not really worth much hence why I dont think I will sell it unless I had to.

Looking at the photoshop you have done on my car, i think you should of saved yourself alot of work and bought mine;) Your new car looks mint, one of my favorites I have to say. Seen it aBilling 2 years ago mid build I think, very nice mate

Karl

Benn
06-11-09, 10:09 PM
Edit, very nicedude.

Spudly
06-11-09, 10:10 PM
Ooh Karl thats fecking awesome, i remember reading that you were going down the aircooled route and i cant beleive that was three years ago, Feck lol

Really nice looking bud as i have a few friends in the dub scene and ive seen some of the states these things like to rot to, and we thought novas rotted for fun, these things do it as a hobby, well done im really liking that:d

Nick J
06-11-09, 10:27 PM
Cheers Nick, the camper is pure fun and enjoyement. Amazing the attention it gets when we are out and about in it. Also its an investment, what I spend on it I know I can get it back. Unlike the nova, serious amounts of money and its not really worth much hence why I dont think I will sell it unless I had to.

Looking at the photoshop you have done on my car, i think you should of saved yourself alot of work and bought mine;) Your new car looks mint, one of my favorites I have to say. Seen it aBilling 2 years ago mid build I think, very nice mate

Karl

I can imagine the attention Karl! It does look very well. I also know what your saying when it comes to an investment point of view. A guy that used to panel for us part time restores them and has told us of the crazy prices they go for as finished articles! Thanks for the comments on my new one.... It not up to the standard Id like it to be yet but hopefully I'll have it something like come the show season next year.... Look forward to seeing you at a few shows next year fella if you can make the time.

Regards,

Nick.

ben doodar
08-11-09, 06:13 PM
very nice car there karl never really seen any pictures of it before.
+ the campers ace would love one, one day. can imagine it to be so much fun to just jump in with a few mates and get away for a few days. nice 1 fella!

vaughanmc
23-12-09, 09:43 PM
Sorry to dig up an old thread but it saves me starting a new one

Does anyone or even Karl if he comes on here could tell me the colour of his car ?

Looks a lot lot brighter than Vauxhall Flame Red

Cheers in advance, Vaughan :thumb:

alan b
23-12-09, 09:53 PM
always loved this car, remember seeing it in tv years ago, lmao at wip question, back then wip was for getting the wife to do the dishes!

Nick J
23-12-09, 10:02 PM
Sorry to dig up an old thread but it saves me starting a new one

Does anyone or even Karl if he comes on here could tell me the colour of his car ?

Looks a lot lot brighter than Vauxhall Flame Red

Cheers in advance, Vaughan :thumb:

Iirc correctly its the same as my previous red car being ferrari rosso corsa. ;)

vaughanmc
23-12-09, 10:03 PM
I wasn't sure if it was the same as yours or not - Seen some pics of it and its bright as hell

Nick J
23-12-09, 10:04 PM
I wasn't sure if it was the same as yours or not - Seen some pics of it and its bright as hell

Just checked features... Its states it was the same as mine.

Nick.

vaughanmc
23-12-09, 10:06 PM
Cheers Nick! Rep if I can

andybishop
23-12-09, 10:34 PM
Yeah it's Ferrari Rosso Red fella.