PDA

View Full Version : not a nova... but corsa

Pete
03-11-09, 06:20 PM
ok its a problem with my dads car, i think i mite know what the problam is but i want a second opinion, well as many opinions as i can get becuase i dont want to get playing with things in the engine and make it any worse.

The Decription - When he puts his foot on the throttle the car delivers a small ammount of power and seems to be struggling for fuel. but then it kicks in a few seconds later, its like having a turbo when it kicks in... when hes at a steady speed like eg today, he was goin at 60mph and it ran fine but soon as he stops at a traffic light the car seems to stuggle into motion...

IMO - I either think its the carbretta or its the fuel pipes.
i think maybe the fuel pipes have been clogged up with crap becuase the problem only started after he went to a petrol station and topped up. I know that if the petrol station's petrol storage is low it sucks up all the crap which is obviously going to pass around the engine,

and the second one is the carb.. it seems that it dosent seem to be flowing the petrol as quick as it normaly would...

Please give me your opinions

Cheers
Pete

General Baxter
03-11-09, 06:21 PM
a corsa wont have a carb lol

AlexW
03-11-09, 06:22 PM
Corsa's dont have carbs, They have a Throttle Body. By your description i presume its a 1.2 or 1.4 SPI.

Is the ECU light ever on?

Pete
03-11-09, 06:23 PM
Sorry about that carb thing :( wasnt aware.

Its a 1.2. and no the ecu lights has never came on.

General Baxter
03-11-09, 06:25 PM
how about a service ?

AlexW
03-11-09, 06:25 PM
Fuel filter ever been changed? Check the earths. Have you since tried putting fuel into the car, i presume this has been going on a while?

Pete
03-11-09, 06:29 PM
its been going for 2 days now. and yeah since it happened its had about £30 of petrol put in.
the fuel filter got changed on its last service which was 3 months ago.

And can u just explain about the earth... im not 100& sure on that :(

General Baxter
03-11-09, 06:43 PM
the brown stuff out side the dirt, thats earth check that

some might be stuck in the tyres

Southie
03-11-09, 06:51 PM
Have you checked the plugs ie what colour are they? ht leads (maybe arcing if wet) when were they last changed? How low is the oil and when was it last changed?

GRUNT 16V
03-11-09, 08:22 PM
what year is the corsa on ????????? To me its sounds like there may be a problem with the distributor as these are very comon to breaking down and failing !! is there a problem with it cutting out or a problem when starting ???