PDA

View Full Version : been offered this

bmw156
03-11-09, 11:53 AM
hey guys

have been offered a MG F 1.8 l convertable in dark blue

for 500 quid, it has MOT and tax till around december/january time.

insurance is double what the nova is gonna be for renewal

typically it has an overheateing problem, and a split pipe. we suspect. as its loosing water.

when we drove down to london, the header tank just started to boil. so we stopped. and it drove back alright.

have been told it needs a new wheel bearing, and ball joint on one corner. and nothing stopping it going through another MOT.

buying it would mean probably loosing the nova or letting kelly drive it all the time.

what do you guys think.

p.s i know its a hair dresser car. but its mid engine RWD. so thats fun.

just like this, http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5224/144mgmgfv862mbh.jpg (http://img402.imageshack.us/i/144mgmgfv862mbh.jpg/)

pikey1986
03-11-09, 12:05 PM
theirs a plastic t-piece behind the header tank thats most probably the culprit, apparently its a common fault on them, my old man got quoted about £100 for a new one,

ps

their not that much fun to drive and dont particularly(sp) handle all that well

L14MNP
03-11-09, 12:06 PM
I'd buy it even just to break. £200+ from the wheels/tyres alone.

Bubba
03-11-09, 12:07 PM
mid engine rwd sucks. my mr2 would not go dirfty drifty...even with half the stabaliser bars "missing"

General Lee
03-11-09, 12:08 PM
at £500 it's a steal imho.

Southie
03-11-09, 12:08 PM

+1

pikey1986
03-11-09, 12:09 PM

thats what i ended up doing for me dad, i made him about £600-£700

L14MNP
03-11-09, 12:10 PM
mid engine rwd sucks. my mr2 would not go dirfty drifty...even with half the stabaliser bars "missing"
My mates wouldn't go either. Far too balanced.
There's only one man that can go slideways in an MR2, Keiichi Tsuchiya. lol

Bubba
03-11-09, 12:33 PM
MOT guy seem suprised it didnt with the stabaliser bars missing off it. said it should have been very tail happy.

bmw156
03-11-09, 12:47 PM
it doesnt have those wheels on it.

thats just a pic example of google lol.

and yeh, my mate said they are not the best cars to get.

i suspect i will leave it. as i know its cheap. but i cant see many other plus reasons to buy it.

skyinsurance
03-11-09, 12:52 PM
It's a piece of **** with the head gasket gone/on the way. Crap engines, awful cars to work on, awful handling, looks..

can you tell I dont like them?

Ollie
Sky Insurance

craig green
03-11-09, 12:52 PM
At that money thats OK, my Mum has one & I think its sh*t, but my folks paid top dollar. Fools!

Ben
03-11-09, 01:27 PM
It's a piece of **** with the head gasket gone/on the way. Crap engines, awful cars to work on, awful handling, looks..

can you tell I dont like them?

Ollie
Sky Insurance

Agreed with that but its cheap and on ebay should return £1k!

draper
03-11-09, 01:30 PM
id buy it

and MR2s are fairly easy to get sideways imo

Adam*D
03-11-09, 02:17 PM
I buy these to break, that 1 will do around £1600 in bits if the H/G hasn't gone, good little money makers them and for £500 I'd pull his arm off ;)

bmw156
03-11-09, 02:29 PM
I buy these to break, that 1 will do around £1600 in bits if the H/G hasn't gone, good little money makers them and for £500 I'd pull his arm off ;)lol.

lol, you buy it for 500 quid. like i said the alloys are not the same.

and its not the vccvccvcvcvccccvvccc what ever you call it. varible camm thingy lol.

Stanley
03-11-09, 02:30 PM
Keep it, sort the headgasket and if it doesnt make much on the bay, then brake it. The 1800 VVC engines fetch a fair amount. Then subframes, suspension and panels added on top and your onto a winner IMO.

EDIT: Just seen its not a VVC, even still they fetch a good amount

jimbob-mcgrew
03-11-09, 03:16 PM
stay away man trust, i know someone that insured me on one for a few months, i got to use it say 10/15 times and it was horrible to drive, the roof was all flappy on the inside with air current across it, visibility is crap, there a pain to get in and out of, theres no space for the steering wheel, it sits on your legs prety much, very limited room inside as its a 2 seater with no baggage space, and you better not hope you get any engine probs on it, cos from what little i could see under the slats to the engine, looks like its an engine out job to change the oil, let alone the head gasket. and for some strange reason, you have to open the boot with the key to get to the bonnet popper.

id say it was as quick as a nova gte which is good, but a lil dissapointing from an engine thats 200cc up with an extra 8 valves.

edit : i didnt really need to say all that ^^, i shoulda just said the plastic back window is stuck on with velcro, that explains the build quality in itself. good security feature too.

skyinsurance
03-11-09, 03:18 PM
They are dog****e

:thumb:

MK999
03-11-09, 03:20 PM
I'm loving the impartial unbiased opinion from the face of our insurance sponsor :thumb: lol Nice to see there's actually some humans in the business :p lol

Andy
03-11-09, 03:39 PM
These are excrement

Adam*D
03-11-09, 03:40 PM
Your right, it's not a VVC, that means the engine is the same as a freelander and can be sold as such as these demand a higher price ;)

dj_wudgey
03-11-09, 03:41 PM
These are excrement

my thoughts exactly lol!!!

MK999
03-11-09, 03:41 PM
Not quite the same, the freelander had a few refinements on it to stop the head gaskets going pop... hence the higher price I'd imagine.

L14MNP
03-11-09, 03:44 PM
Not quite the same, the freelander had a few refinements on it to stop the head gaskets going pop... hence the higher price I'd imagine.
lol Tell that to my parents ex 1800 Freelander!
Man that was one underpowered 4x4! lol

Adam*D
03-11-09, 03:44 PM
I've bust a few mate and the engine always gets sold to a freelander owner.

Adam*D
03-11-09, 03:49 PM
Have a look on ebay for mgf engines, I bet most of them say they'll fit a freelander!

RJM25R
03-11-09, 08:35 PM
Why do we give a fuxk anyway?

bmw156
03-11-09, 08:37 PM
Why do we give a fuxk anyway?

because i wanted to know if its a good deal, i wanted to know the pros and cons, i wanted to know what they are like.

if you dont give a ****, then dont comment.

Mike
03-11-09, 08:40 PM
They have little plastic clips holding the engine loom back, these clips perish, the loom sags & gets caught up in the engine fan. Uber fail.

A friend of mine found this out the hard way an it cost him £400+ to source the parts for sort it out.

Oh BTW, the ignition electrics randomly like to fail, the immobiliser will randomly cut in & not go off. The elec window motors die as standard.

bmw156
03-11-09, 08:41 PM
They have little plastic clips holding the engine loom back, these clips perish, the loom sags & gets caught up in the engine fan. Uber fail.

A friend of mine found this out the hard way an it cost him £400+ to source the parts for sort it out.

Oh BTW, the ignition electrics randomly like to fail, the immobiliser will randomly cut in & not go off. The elec windo motors die as standard.

thank you very much mike, to RJM25R, this is why i ask

Mike
03-11-09, 08:44 PM
No bother mate, I know of 3 people who have had problems with the ignition/iimobiliser, 2 of them also had issues with the elec window motors.

bmw156
03-11-09, 08:44 PM
p.s, the door build quality is crap lol, the leccy windows judder like hell
and the top of the doors squeeze together well easy

Mike
03-11-09, 08:50 PM
Buy it to break - Yes, buy it to keep - NO!!

bmw156
03-11-09, 08:52 PM
Buy it to break - Yes, buy it to keep - NO!!

lol, its my bosses car, and he is a friend also.

and i told him this, and i think he might break rather then me. im not bothered at all tbh lol

chimp007_uk
03-11-09, 08:56 PM
I've helped a mate do a H/G on his gf's MG F, not fun! Several hours of swearing and ball ache. I was used for my lanky arms lol in between making and drinking tea as i refused to be responsible when the /G let go again lol

brainsnova
03-11-09, 08:59 PM
hit a big pot hole and the windscreen cracks lol

mowgli
03-11-09, 09:04 PM
well, they were made from metro bits, in a shed full of 'ex communists' that has since been knocked down, and i know for a fact that when clarkson tested one for the old top gear show, they rebuilt a brand new one with a higher roof, lower seat, different pedals & way more power, just so he'd be impressed...

dannyb
03-11-09, 09:10 PM
Drive the wheels off it for a week, see if YOU like it then if not break it - the reason being the one I've quoted below

A friend of mine found this out the hard way an it cost him £400+ to source the parts for sort it out

You so might help someone in Mike's friends position and make a few bob out of it on the parts he would've needed alone!

Ben
03-11-09, 09:25 PM

only the later freelanders as the early ones were just as problematic, rover suffered with the engines no matter what they went it.

Freelanders break for AWESOME money! I broke one for over £5k!

staggy_gsi
03-11-09, 09:38 PM
id buy it for 500quid, either to break or to use for a while. theres two metal water pipes which run from the radiator at the front to the engine at the back, ive replaced loads which have rusted through. so it may not be the head gasket at all, and if thats all it is you have a bargain which you can sell on and maybe double your cash

floydy13
03-11-09, 10:51 PM
i would save £500 and not buy it, its a metro convertable! go through headgaskets like no tomorrow, right piece to drive!