PDA

View Full Version : Attaining REAL useable Downforce

Nova Modder
17-03-03, 02:19 AM
Anybody know any Proper body kits that dont just fcuk up the aero dynamics, but provide a good useable level of downforce front and rear... not unlike f1 :D

Chris LR
17-03-03, 02:21 AM
Like the Metro 6R4 perhaps?

I'd look into rally spec Nova's........

Fester
17-03-03, 07:51 PM
on a 1.2?

?Marty?
17-03-03, 09:11 PM
No. All the bodykits out are only made with styling in mind.

An adjustable rear spoiler would be the only thing to do that.

Chris LR
17-03-03, 09:17 PM
Put this idea with that one about pnematic jacking, out the window.

mikeoxford
17-03-03, 10:17 PM
Put this idea with that one about pnematic jacking, out the window.

:lol: :lol:

lol it is only a nova mate ;) not a porchse with an automatically adjustable rear wing!!!!!!!

mikeoxford
17-03-03, 10:18 PM
reading back through some brochures etc, the nova aint that bad for air drag anyway................... i dont think

?Marty?
18-03-03, 12:38 AM
No, it's pretty good Mike.

And Christ, do you even KNOW why he wants downforce?

Maybe he intends on racing it, or whatever, and a standard car would be stupid.

You made a sensible (ish) comment before, so why come out with this crap again. :roll:

Nova Modder
18-03-03, 09:18 AM
im talking about if i decided to make a car for racing u know like ste sa does... i think...

art u allowed body kits at donny/silverstone ?

look how low the car would have to be to use the down force... one pothole = BYE BYE bodykit

mikeoxford
18-03-03, 09:39 AM
No, it's pretty good Mike.

And Christ, do you even KNOW why he wants downforce?

Maybe he intends on racing it, or whatever, and a standard car would be stupid.

You made a sensible (ish) comment before, so why come out with this crap again. :roll:

his new posts hes on about a range rover V8 :twisted: so this should be very intresting although i think the handling will go out the window :lol:

whitey
18-03-03, 01:09 PM
He wont do any of what he is suggesting!

mikeoxford
18-03-03, 02:01 PM
He wont do any of what he is suggesting!

he might!

ade
18-03-03, 11:23 PM
race spec cars usually have to be factory standard dont they just stripped right out so theyre light!

Body kits just add weight. Best think to do for downforce is bung a couple of garden paving slabs in yer boot or a really heavy tool box. That'll keep the wheels on the ground at the back - the main place the novas fond of letting loose!

Lower it and add strut braces/roll cage and anti roll bars to stiffen body.

Then hold on for dear life!

The shape of the novas not that areodynamic so to be honest any body kits not going to make that much of a difference. You just need to make it rapid and know how far you can push it!

Like the person (kev/cp/mc?) who was in the burgandy nova at traxx last year and lost it on one of the corners! Summut about oil on the road?

bfuller
18-03-03, 11:37 PM
fao nova modder, downforce is useless below 100mph ish, at below that speed, you'd be wasting more weight than gaining speed, so it aint worth it.

Nova Modder
19-03-03, 12:36 AM
@ bfuller

ah ok... ta v much... guess this tiny lill front bumper is the best then.. ( its lightest :p )

@ ade

hmm curious... my nova has never lost it at the rear.. guess i gotta thrash it harder...

used to understeer like i bithc b4 i changed my tires... now it just understeers a lill... so annoying.. how can i get rid of the understeer?

ade
19-03-03, 12:47 AM
depends on the car - I lost the back end of mine twice - both times going round roundabouts (a little too fast!)

Luckily they were empty and v v v quiet at the time (me only one there!)

:oops:

Since lowered car and whacked 15's on it and have no probs - before this though I used to drive about with heavy tool box in boot - it just lived in it for a while whilst I was moving stuff. Managed to corner much faster with it in!

Understeer - now I always get these mixed up (under and oversteer) - under steers the one where you turn the wheel and the fron of the car doesnt respond? or is that oversteer?

Cannae remember

:?

Nova Modder
19-03-03, 02:02 AM
yeah... understeer is like when u put full lock on.. but the car turns like you only moved the wheel 45 degrees lol ( in the extreeam )

Fester
19-03-03, 03:53 AM
i was looking for a site but it must have been taken down now

the gist of what it was saying was front wheel drive is the easiest the drive in but the hardest to master, like REALLY master due to the only inputs you have being brakes.

ploughing in and turning the wheel on isnt the fastest way round the corner. if you can get any old footage of john welch (i think) in the sphere drake mk2 astra 16v rally car (front engine, front wheel drive again) this thing is permanently on the brink of being sideways in perfect balance, even on the tarmac (as opposed to the loose)

its all pretty complicated as ade says be careful its easy to lose it, we've all done it once or twice

---- edit ----

welch would come in hard on the power, enter the corner, suddenly cut the power totally (dont try this on the roads! not joking!) throw all the weight over the front of the car then plant the throttle and absolutely drag it through the corners as fast as physically possible in perfect balance

Jim
19-03-03, 07:27 PM
Your question about handling is something thats been debated over the past few months. There was an article about the anti roll bars that Novas have and ways of achieving the best handling for a Nova.

I'm not sure where the post has gone, wisewood has been moving stuff about :roll: It's somewhere, just have a look around the guides part of the site.

Jim