PDA

View Full Version : Internal Pnumatic Jacks

Nova Modder
17-03-03, 01:56 AM
how expensive do you think it would be to get somthing like this installed into a nova... or any car for that matter?

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/champ-rear-jack.jpg

woulde make putting the cr on axle stands muck quicker/easier, and most modders go under their car a lill bit more often that should be deemed nessicary... so would it be a good idea to get somthing like this so u can jack you car up in a little under a second?

Fester
17-03-03, 02:04 AM
seems a bit on the extreme side, would be cool though on a race spec nova

Chris LR
17-03-03, 02:06 AM
I personaly wouldn't do it, You've got to postion the rams (all 4 of them) themselves, if it's possible?? Then you've got to plumb in the Compressed Air and put a tank somewhere. Then you've got to wire up a control mechanism. Not Forgetting your Green Gas Sticker

Alternativly you could pump Compressed Air in only when you want to get the car up, but his provides you with other problems. I'm sure you need a permit etc to store compressed Gas? Also not being able to lift it up anywhere that hasn't got a supply of Compressed Gas.

Obviously you can't do all this yourself, which means forking out even more for somebody else to do it.

It Would Save Time, but how long does it take to jack your car up? 5 minutes?

Nova Modder
17-03-03, 02:13 AM
well u could keep a compressor in the boot that runs off the alternator... or use huydraulics ( gr8 if u got huradrulic suspention too )

could use the compressor to operate the air nut loosener thingy garages have... could be fun :)

Chris LR
17-03-03, 02:19 AM
The 'Air Gun' as it's known in the Trade? Or Possibly an 'Air Ratchet'

Stuart
17-03-03, 09:50 AM
out of intrest are you on drugs?? if not you should be.

the ammount of air that you would nedd to a)get the rams from the chassis to the florr and b) to lif tthe car to a workable height. would be a massive ammount and require quite a large compressor (that wont fit in the boot)

nice concpet but you'd be better off doing this to your GT car

novarally9999
17-03-03, 03:27 PM
on my nova rally car I've got holes in the side skirts just behind front and rear wheels.

when it needs lifting up; put under trolley jack and then use axle stands with a bar welded to the top that fits into the holes (weld tube for the bar to fit into)

Stuart
17-03-03, 03:42 PM
ive seen that done on several rally cars and it seems a very good way of getting support under the car rapidly. and it leaves the entire underside accessable.

needs a bit of strengthening work doing first though??

Austin_Nova16
17-03-03, 04:17 PM
That sounds interesting.......I was thinking of just welding a small amound of box section to the underside to make four strong jacking points....

mikeoxford
17-03-03, 09:59 PM
think of all the extra weight :(