PDA

View Full Version : omex rev limiter an launch control

my nova
01-11-09, 09:46 PM
dont no if anyone can help just bought a omex limiter for a c20let cant seem to get it to work it just stops u dead like sumone else has hit the brakes on its set on soft cut at the std 6k :thumb:

craig green
01-11-09, 09:47 PM
Does it cut ign or fuel?

Seems a pointless addition when the Motronic has its own limiter. A mod for modifyings sake?

my nova
01-11-09, 09:51 PM
it cuts ignition. bought it for the launch control it should stop sum of the wheel spin on fast pull off.

Jon_nova1
01-11-09, 10:01 PM
Lsd?

there was a topic about this not long ago about someone putting launch control to stop wheelspin

my nova
01-11-09, 10:06 PM
it all helps iv got it now so i might as well use it

Will F
02-11-09, 08:26 AM
If its for launch control - wouldnt you have to turn it off once you were rolling? Of the versions I have seen - they dont have L/C as an option?

alan b
02-11-09, 09:41 AM
theres two cuts, one is a limiter the other is activated by a button that is either mounted on the sterring wheel or gearknob. when u press the button and poor it on the line it will build up boost pressure standing still, as launch control it is quite poor without a diff. with a diff and the lc you could launch in second very well.

novaxe235
02-11-09, 11:34 AM
i have the omex on mine with l/c but don't use it as i have a LSD as well, the limiter works well i have it on hard cut as i like the sound on carbs its awesome.:p p.s doesn't stop me dead either.

my nova
02-11-09, 07:30 PM
thanks for all the replys. (novaxe235) have u just wired yours up with the red on the + side of the coil and the blue on the - side.

Nick
02-11-09, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't pay too much attention to the launch control feature. All this type of limiter does is inihbit the coil . Hard or Soft in terms of rev-limiting and interms of launching, it just forces the coil to operate to a set RPM...

Found the limiting side a bit harsh on Hard, with a fairly decent spec revvy 1600 T40 is was bloody jerky hitting the limit through 1-3 . Soft was fine...

To use the launch control you should identify an appropriate launching RPM that is a compromise of everything. Then, if you hold this rpm for the first second or two of launching, it should reduced wheel-spin and help you to get an optimum start.

my nova
02-11-09, 07:46 PM
yes mate thats is like mine its really jerky on soft an hard if u look at them on youtube it should sound like a machine gun type noise mine just sounds like its jumpin past the limiter

Nick
02-11-09, 08:29 PM
Make sure you connect the launch control button up to a live, as i found i had issues with my system untill i connected it up - I presume the Push to make switch sets a virtual earth when not pressed, which is vital to the workings of the unit.

I found mine was a bit jolty on hard, but my 1600 was very revvy. On soft it was fine.

my nova
02-11-09, 09:16 PM
was it the orange wire u put a live to as it said that is a earth with the launch button in middle of it thanks for reply.

novaxe235
03-11-09, 03:32 PM
thanks for all the replys. (novaxe235) have u just wired yours up with the red on the + side of the coil and the blue on the - side.IL have a look tonight as I'm going to do some work on it anyway i haven't wired the orange wire up to anything though i know that for certain as i didn't want to use the l/c. IL pm you as to how i have it wired,like i say mine is on hard cut and as you say it sounds like a machine gun when on the limiter.

phazer
03-11-09, 03:42 PM
How on earth does that system allow a better launch than good pedal control? It's not monitoring undriven wheels so has nothing to reference to calculate slip of the driven wheels.

Seems a bit pointless to me.

Nick
03-11-09, 05:07 PM
Like i said, a bit of a gimmick.

However, i found that it worked alright on the limited testing i did. For a higher powered car, i'd definetly rely on a proper Launch Control system though, However on mine is seemed to kill initial grip issues and get a nice clean, standardised start.

Nick
03-11-09, 05:11 PM
was it the orange wire u put a live to as it said that is a earth with the launch button in middle of it thanks for reply.
Oh ok, earth it is then. Whatever it was, i had a 3k missfire due to not having the button wired up. Once it was connected, it worked fine.

At the end of the day, it's going to produce quite a hard limiter.... The limiter is there to help prevent over-revving through the gears. You shouldn't really be hitting the thing anyway, i set mine 500rpm over peak power, which was within the limits of my bottom end... 8k. I didn't drive around hitting 8k every gear and bouncing off the limiter, as there is no point... it's a preventetive measure.

I ran it up to the limiter about 5 times to check it was working, then i prehaps hit it a couple of times by mistake.

alan b
03-11-09, 05:44 PM
How on earth does that system allow a better launch than good pedal control? It's not monitoring undriven wheels so has nothing to reference to calculate slip of the driven wheels.

Seems a bit pointless to me.

didnt you set up your own l/c system? to be fair its just a gimik really, i only bought it as my ecu didnt have a limiter(dont ask why) so i needed one and an omex came up cheap on the bay!

phazer
03-11-09, 05:59 PM
didnt you set up your own l/c system? to be fair its just a gimik really, i only bought it as my ecu didnt have a limiter(dont ask why) so i needed one and an omex came up cheap on the bay!

I do run launch control yes, it makes launches at Santa Pod more consistent etc - don't use it on the road, honest. It's a feature of the DTA ECU - theres a sensor on one of the rear wheels and the ECU has the final drive ratio and rolling radius of the wheels configured. It uses clever maths, the current rev count and rising rate and the speed of the undriven wheel to work out if the fronts are slipping. If they are it backs off the ignition progessively etc

I've done it properly, hence my comments about the omex jobbie :thumb: