PDA

View Full Version : Front end not lining up properly

nova-taken
01-11-09, 12:58 PM
Hey guys

new to the forum, so not quite sure as to where this thread should be posted, but thought it may fall under this category.

i have a MK1 Antibes and thought it could do with a lil cosmetic change, namely a facelift front end, so i bought a mk 2 as a donor, for the dash panels and such, all parts fitted perfect, changed the slam panel so that the new grille would fit, but now nothing lines up!!

indicators are not sitting right, one headlight sits perfect whilst the other droops about 6mm under the lip of the bonnet, and also the bumper does not sit properly under the grill, theres about a 2-3cm gap.

What have i done wrong???

cheers
:thumb:

CoolTiger
01-11-09, 01:05 PM
how was everything sittin on the donor car ? could of already been bent ,but prob youve put it in the wrong place, dont know how good you are when it comes to this stuff so dont take offence, did you try everything on before tacking it into place? if not id advise griding it off and starting again, but this time tack it into place and build the whole front end up remember it might not just be the slam panel as u have replaced the whole surrounding areas except the bonnet lol :)

Pistol Pete
01-11-09, 01:57 PM
Check my WIP in my sig. I had a whole manor of troubles when i did mine. I had to cut out my slam and start again.

General Baxter
01-11-09, 02:06 PM
i dont get why you changed the slam panel

mk2 will go into a mk1 anyway lol

Bubba
01-11-09, 02:32 PM
what u done wrong...uve put a mk2 on a mk1 :P

nova-taken
01-11-09, 07:16 PM
how was everything sittin on the donor car ? could of already been bent ,but prob youve put it in the wrong place, dont know how good you are when it comes to this stuff so dont take offence, did you try everything on before tacking it into place? if not id advise griding it off and starting again, but this time tack it into place and build the whole front end up remember it might not just be the slam panel as u have replaced the whole surrounding areas except the bonnet lol :)

Well thats just it, the front panel was clamped in place and i tried all the panels on first and it fitted, the donor car was perfect. ive even measured the dimensions of the donor cars front panel and everything seems to be identical, yet it still doesnt want to line up!

GRRRRRR!!!

brucer
01-11-09, 07:24 PM
pics??

Jon_nova1
01-11-09, 08:11 PM
so you clamped it then welded it up? i think you've knocked it

When i welded mine on i never did any of the lining up stuff, i just welded it where the marks from the previous panel were and took 2 jacks to it etc, it came out ok, it just sits 5MMish to the offside at the top, which you can't even tell considering the holes for the front grill have more than that to play with each side

nova-taken
01-11-09, 10:30 PM
jon nova, thats exactly what i did, sat the new panel where the old one was in the same grooves, then checked it every few spot welds to make sure it was still correct.

sorted it now any who, bumper took some trial and error, but its sitting ok.

and on inspection of the slam panel, i noticed that, the passenger side headlight bracket, was slightly bent from where the panel has been stored.

should really have check that before i paniced and PNG'ed it

thnx anyway guys

problem solved