PDA

View Full Version : Halfords Oil Filters

Dannova12
16-03-03, 10:07 PM
Dont go near the things!!!!!!!!!!!

Just put one on my fully rebuilt engine, tightly screwed it on (no play)

Started up car and within a minute it came flyin off and dropped all the oil over the workshop floor!!!

Luckily my m8 was standed by and ''TURN THE FUKIN THING OFF' was shouted quite loudly.

Going to do a 'Victor Meldrew' at them 2moz.

mikeoxford
16-03-03, 10:11 PM
Going to do a 'Victor Meldrew' at them 2moz.

is that the

" I DONT BELIEVE IT!?"

or answer the phone.................. "3912" :lol:

i watched it tooo much as a lad!

so whats wrong with the filter?

the screw bit broke of the filter?

Dannova12
16-03-03, 10:13 PM
basically , once the filter came off, i looked at the normal thread inside and it had completely shawn off!!!!

mikeoxford
16-03-03, 10:17 PM
hmmmmm be careful then as they may say you cross threaded it or over tightened it

Nova Modder
16-03-03, 11:44 PM
when i got my car... first thing i did was change the oil...

castrol gtx magnatek and a halfords filter... working fine for me :)

( about 2500 miles later ) still going strong... mabe u got a dud

techie
16-03-03, 11:45 PM
Might have been an odd filter.

Thing is 99% of the filters all all made by the same people anyhow.

The gen Vauxhall filter is identical to the Fram one I last used.

Phil_G
16-03-03, 11:48 PM
Hi,

worked for halfords for 8 months and in that time i havent heard of this happening once - unfortuantely i would say you fell on an unlucky one..

Phil

mikeoxford
17-03-03, 12:15 AM
im sure hes on commision!

always sticks up for hallys and ripseed 8)

nah fair play, take pride in your work

i hate it when my big promo displays at work are ripped to pieces :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

Chris LR
17-03-03, 12:30 AM
I've never had much of a problem with Halfords, I only go there when I want stuff for my Bike :lol:

mikeoxford
17-03-03, 12:45 AM
just purely out of intrest whats the oil filter on a lander like? as big as a fire extinguisher?

Chris LR
17-03-03, 12:47 AM
It's roughly the size of a Nova Starter Motor.

novax
17-03-03, 08:36 AM
Going in ranting and raving will get you no where. Go in. tell them what happened and ask for a gallon of fresh oil as compensation. Next time you need something they'll be that more helpful to you.

Simple

Aragorn
17-03-03, 10:06 AM
this happened to me

cept i had picked the wrong filter

supposedly there are imperial and metric sizes and the early nova's used the inperial ones newer ones use metric - its like C102 and G102, i looked up the book found nova 1200 and grabbed the filter it listed - unfortunately it was imperial and it done EXACTLY the same thing

screwed it on, fired engine up, POP thunk filter landed right in the bucet full of oil i was using to catch the old stuff

i walked into halfords with the filtert covered in an asda bag totally soaking in oil and said "this is fucked"

the saleswoman after gingerly opening the bag looked it up and told me i had the wrong filter - but swapped it anyway :D

Dicko
17-03-03, 04:09 PM
this is right, there is 2 filters for the 1.2.

the older is c102 and the newer is g.

if you get the wrong 1 it will fit but WILL come loose. i was warned about this a while ago

Ben (lurk75)
17-03-03, 04:16 PM
As techie said Halfords dont actually have there own stuff made just repackage it and sell it as theres (for twice the price :lol: ).

IMO that is the only problem with Halfords- The Cost.

techie
17-03-03, 04:36 PM
I got a Fram one from mine form Motorserv our local motor factors. Much cheaper than gen Vauxhall even with "trade club" discount.

Fram filter....97p

Vauxhall filter.. ?5.15.

Looks like the same filter anyhow.

Ben (lurk75)
17-03-03, 04:56 PM
That is a considerable difference. Especially for an Oil filter.

Phil_G
17-03-03, 11:16 PM
im sure hes on commision!

always sticks up for hallys and ripseed 8) [/qoute]

I wish i was and I do indeed :D

[quote] nah fair play, take pride in your work

quite.. I enjoy my job but even if you dont enjoy a job you should always try to do yer best

i hate it when my big promo displays at work are ripped to pieces :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

Aye - like when ive just cleaned our display seats or the cabinets and some little shite stamps all over the seats adn wipes their hands on our glass cabinets...

Anyhow - point aside- i think in some ways it is almost fashionable to have adig at halfords- but for every dissatisfied customer we (at our store alone) will literally have 1000 who are happy... not a bad ratio IMO

Phil