PDA

View Full Version : cherry bomb

novaman90
01-11-09, 10:20 AM
hey guys i wounder if anyone could help me iv bought a cheery bomb back box rite and a few of my mates are saying that there illegal because of the noise regulations lol just woundered if they are illegal or if anyone has got one and had no probs from pc plod thanks in advance lol

Jon_nova1
01-11-09, 10:26 AM
lol why a cherry bomb? lol

every aftermarket exhaust is techincally illegal as it produces more noise than standard, its just the louder it is, the more attention you attract, so more chance of something happening

I've got an import car that makes your ears ring after you've been on the motorway for too long, all the times i've been pulled in it i've yet to have any kind of comment about the exhaust lol

novaman90
01-11-09, 10:30 AM
yes thats the thing i want a back box but not got a clue what one i got the cheery bomb cheap so i thought why not. but im unsure what back box to get i was thinking peco but dont know help me lol

mowgli
01-11-09, 10:33 AM
this is the problem with exhausts....

they are designed to be a compromise between noise & performance. if done properly it costs a huge sum of money to get it right with hours in test cells etc. now a noisy exhaust is not necessarily a performance one, if the middle box falls off leaving you with a downpipe & very little else, it sounds like satans workshop, but the car is flat as a fart. the whole think is down to pulse length & pipe length and is far too complicated for me to go into.

but sticking a cherry bomb on will make a bit of power over a stock one simply because it is a straight thru design as opposed to how gm ones are made, but it will make a lot more noise.

mowgli
01-11-09, 10:34 AM
novaman90, what engine have you got???

Jon_nova1
01-11-09, 10:43 AM
I would assume he doesn't have a 2 litre.

why not fit it and find out if its too loud? if it is just put a different one on

novaman90
01-11-09, 10:47 AM
iv got a 1.2st but its a a bit of work done on the engine and just got the gsi manifold and downpipe on just want a nice back box on it just to finish it off what have you people got on yours i just need some ideas im stuck lol thanks for your help by the way

Andy
01-11-09, 10:49 AM
Its perfectly legal,i only had an MOT advisory for mine

mowgli
01-11-09, 10:51 AM
the gte/gsi backbox will fit fine & as the 12st has about 1/2 the hp of a 1600, you can guess that it will be ok.. a 1300 has 20 odd hp more & the same backbox as the 1200, so it will be fine too,

Jon_nova1
01-11-09, 10:52 AM
I don't know, it was already on when i got it, an oval one? think its a halfords special actually, but when i fitted the 2 litre i kept the cat so it wasn't as noisy.

there isn't really a wrong or right exhaust, just fit it and see what its like, im sure i heard someone on here had a cherry bomb at one stage on a 1.2, see if they show up lol

novaman90
01-11-09, 10:55 AM
oh rite thanks well im gonna put the cherry bomb on and see how i get along if not il be back lol thanks for your help cheers everyone

Bubba
01-11-09, 04:41 PM
85db is the legal limit, mine is 92 with 4branch and full stainless (and blowing) and its a 1300

Jack
01-11-09, 04:56 PM
I should have checked the noise of the nova when we drove it to Infinity with no exhaust on lol

Spudly
01-11-09, 04:58 PM
That just conjours up a scene of you guys pulling up in an excessively loud V6 nova and the guy coming out to you and leaning in the window saying "and what can i do for you guys" you and Lee looking at each other and saying "flat tyre" lol

Jack
01-11-09, 04:59 PM
He was in the van ahead of me.

And saw the reaction of the scootay rider who thought concord had just overtaken him lol

mowgli
01-11-09, 05:28 PM
I should have checked the noise of the nova when we drove it to Infinity with no exhaust on lol

http://www.hollywood-diecast.com/buzz%20lightyear%20rc%20racer%2005.jpg

lrees91
02-11-09, 12:29 PM
what about a piper 3" or 3.5" outward roll backbox??

craig green
02-11-09, 12:34 PM
what about a piper 3" or 3.5" outward roll backbox??

Is that a product suggestion or lame sales pich for your exhaust?

reevie1987
02-11-09, 06:32 PM
ive got a straight through exsaust system its stupidly loud i drive it everyday never been stopped the backbox it simply a tin can all baffels takon out and it welded up like i say its stupidly loud