PDA

View Full Version : Help please! Seized my new engine!

greg1.4
01-11-09, 08:45 AM
hi , please help me, i need this running for work on monday morning.

i bought a e16se, got told block was fine, looked clean, so stuck it in. put a ported and big valve head on, kent ast2 cam bla bla bla..

fired it up up and after 10minutes the rattling from cambox was unreal. it got so bad i ran from one side of the car to the othere to turn it off, but by the time i got there it had already seized. it was just the cam that has seized.

no oil was getting to the head/cam.

would this be the oil pump or an oil way?

is that the only thing/s it could be?

are all 8v's oil pumps the same? easy to change? i am just going out to take sump off just now..

many thanks in advance..

Greg

greg1.4
01-11-09, 08:57 AM
also one other thing. i took the breather pipe (or what i think is the breather pipe) off from the back of the block on the e16se and put my little breather bottle (FROM SR) thing onto block instead.

on an e16se do i need that pipe going upto the cam or what?

or shuld it be fine just the same as a 1.3 sr (CAMBOX)

bmw156
01-11-09, 09:29 AM
i would say, take of the cam box, see if there is any damage, i suspect there will be, see if the cam is fooked. and then put it back together, time it up, and start again.

if it does it again, you know its not the cam

gazsnova
01-11-09, 09:36 AM
you might find that youll need to check that the oil galleries are clear through to the head. oil pumps on a e16se- unsure if there is increased in fluid being pumped through the crank when compared to another oil pump on different engines. e16se has a tensioner pulley mount for the cam belt though.

as far as your breather bottle/catch tank is concerned i would remove it and mount it higher up on the engine- maybe between the rocker cover and inlet manifold as there is the breather pipe from there. (rocker cover>inlet mani)
should just filter out the remaining oil residue before it goes back into the manifold.

AlexW
01-11-09, 09:46 AM
Pop off the rocker cover and check for any signs of oil has been pumped up, if not then its problery oil pump/blocked galleries.
You should have cracked it over until the oil light went off!

As far as the breaters are conserned your best of putting the one from the block into the cam box and then out (Some cam boxes/covers dont have the out, in that case run a line from the cambox and the block to the catch tank)

mowgli
01-11-09, 09:47 AM
did it actually have oil in it? only kidding,

the oil pump is the most likely candidate, the oil pickup strainer could be blocked, the crank bearings could be so bad that the oil is running out there, the oil pressure relief spring could be knackered, oilways blocked, etc.

greg1.4
01-11-09, 11:07 AM
ok, checked a few things..

got head off, hasnt damaged head, cam seams to be ok too.

it has done it with the previous owner (cam seized, so it must be the block at fault)

i havew took sump off, cleaned out oil pick up pipe, checked the oil way from pump to head, it seams fine..

i have also took the oil pump off, this is where i am stuck though..

dont know what to do for the best now..

and yes there was plenty oil in it..ha ha.

mowgli
01-11-09, 11:12 AM
does the crank turn ok?

i have one idea, maybe it got really hot, causing the top end to seize up..

the 'cam' noise might have been detonation..

i remember this cos my sis in law had an 1.3 astra & it would run fine for about 10-15 mins, then stop dead & would not turn over. a 'mechanic' looked at it & thought it was electrical. I went to see her & simply put the rad hose back on & filled it with water

comptoncj
01-11-09, 11:47 AM
someone didnt oil the new cam did they :S a common problem i know of a few that have siezed

mowgli
01-11-09, 12:11 PM
when i rebuild an engine, i crank it over with no plugs in or a rocker cover on to get the oil up & about, but i always pour quite a bit of oil over the cam train to make sure everything is oily.

if this engine has run for about 10 mins first, i'm confused, as a lack of oil would show up way before 10 mins, which is why i think the oil is maybe not the problem.. was the cam new?

mowgli
01-11-09, 01:02 PM
was the cam right for the engine, as in were the oil grooves & drillings lined up??

greg1.4
01-11-09, 09:49 PM
panic over!

got an oil pump this morning, fitted that, cleaned oil pick up pipe etc. built it back togethor and she fired up fine!

this is waht i think happened - the camshaft was oiled very well before going in, and i had the rocker cover off and poured the oil all the way along the cam track.

i stupidly put the rocker cover back on to fire it up (i should of left it off to make sure oil was coming to cam seen as i had just built the engine) but i ran it with no oil in the cambox and that caused the cam to seize.

anyway, as soon as i turned it over with the new oil pump in it she pumped oil up and round the cam. bonus!

done about 80miles in it tonight, but she is running very hot. think i need another headgasket for it because i have had the head off twice without replacing gasket.

thanks for your help though guys!

paul james
01-11-09, 10:01 PM
done about 80miles in it tonight, but she is running very hot. think i need another headgasket for it because i have had the head off twice without replacing gasket.

Not changed the gasket! I'm guessing you've reused the old head bolts too then?

greg1.4
01-11-09, 10:22 PM
no i never replaced the gasket. i was lucky to get an oil pump on a sunday!lol

i am phoning to order a gasket and heatbolts first thing tomorrow morning..

they were new but obviously will need replaced after being torqued up twice..