PDA

View Full Version : exhaust legislation petition

napalm_27
31-10-09, 07:34 PM
copied from another site :thumb:

Given this probably affects a huge number of us on this site and many other sites, I've had a petition to No 10 approved asking for a review of the recent legisliation as per the petition details I have posted below.

Link: http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/maxexhaustnoise/ (http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/maxexhaustnoise/)

Feel free (and please do!) pass this link around any other car-related forums you use, perhaps others too.

Petition details:

"Recent legislation has increased the powers of The Police Force to stop and fine drivers of cars where they believe the exhaust system fitted is louder than the original factory fitted system.

Whilst we appreciate there is a minority of car owners who intentionally fit an aftermarket exhaust for the increased noise levels alone, the majority of car modifiers choose an exhaust that offers a performance increase whilst keeping the noise levels as acceptable as possible. As few car manufacturers provide the factory fitted exhaust noise in decibels, it is impossible to know if an aftermarket exhaust system is louder than the original or not.

Consideration must be given to the relative noise of an aftermarket exhaust system vs. the large number of cars which, from factory, have very loud exhausts. Aftermarket exhaust systems are still likely to be significantly quieter than drivers of such cars, yet only the drivers with aftermarket exhausts can be fined which is unfair.

The only fair solution is to introduce a testable upper decibel limit for any fitted aftermarket car exhaust system. A testable limit would make a much fairer alternative to the current objective assessment."

General Baxter
31-10-09, 07:39 PM
good big bore exhausts ****ing do my head in, BAN THEM ALL

let_nova
31-10-09, 07:40 PM
done

Rexy
31-10-09, 07:40 PM
a Limit would be a better option, as opposed to just fining people with aftermarket exhausts.

How many people get uber pissed off by stupidly loud exhausts, another above 98db i feel is excessive for an exhaust tone to be honest.

mowgli
31-10-09, 07:41 PM
what was the site????

www.gulliblepillockswhobelieveanyoldcrap.co.uk (http://www.gulliblepillockswhobelieveanyoldcrap.co.uk)

the law is simple, if the old bill believe your car is causing a nuisance, then they can do you for it. it is then up to you to prove them wrong. the construction & use laws are plain enough

General Baxter
31-10-09, 07:42 PM
theres a corsa C around here, its got corsac.com stickers on that says it all lol

the amount of scoobies around here driven by 18 year olds with 10" cabbage launchers on around here is amazing lol

mowgli
31-10-09, 07:44 PM
why is it that all performance chimneys on imprezzas sound like a proper wet fart, you know, the type of fart where you aren't sure if you've followed thru or not..

General Baxter
31-10-09, 07:45 PM
lol a 53 reg one just went past like a tosser lol

Rexy
31-10-09, 07:45 PM
i must admit i do tire of the subaru burble around here, Hence my exhaust is standard :D

MK999
31-10-09, 07:48 PM
i must admit i do tire of the subaru burble around here, Hence my exhaust is standard :D

You must be able to get a manifold with regular length primaries on them? Do that and be the only scooby that doesn't sound broken lol

Stuart
31-10-09, 07:49 PM
A limit needs deciding. Making it on the discression of the copper is going to be bad, as he could have an off day, could be deaf, could just hate modded cars, could be a retard etc.

General Baxter
31-10-09, 07:50 PM
that scoobies doing laps of the town lol

Rexy
31-10-09, 08:03 PM
i can see another flaw, which is how do the intend to enforce this.

You can get a rough DB reading, but with things like background noise, reading distance etcetcetc.

This has already started to happen around the northwest, where the police pull people and take them to a little VOSA guy. who then says " outhhhh thats a bit loud isnt it" and you get a fine.

I know a vosa guy in leyland hates imprezas, as all the impreza owners were being done its made me giggle :D Standard FTW :P

Stuart
31-10-09, 08:06 PM
I can see a market in valves that shut off the exhaust a bit when stationary and then open up once moving :) Still gives you full revs, just quieter ;)

I know certain OEMS do it but its not illegal :)

mowgli
31-10-09, 08:07 PM
the test is simple.. set up a microphone 7.5m from the roadway, check the background noise & drive the car past in both directions.

deciding the maximum noise is the problem. some people find low frequency a nuisance, others find high frequency noise to be the problem

Stuart
31-10-09, 08:08 PM
over X DB in any frequency to 25Khz... easy

mowgli
31-10-09, 08:13 PM
the big problem is down to part throttle noise & echos.. these boy racer things always seem to make tons of noise when they are in a line of traffic, but they don't think appear to make as much noise when accelerating hard.

Joe Richardson
31-10-09, 08:13 PM
what a load of **** :mad:

more ****ing ****e rules :mad:

mowgli
31-10-09, 08:16 PM
what a load of **** :mad:

more ****ing ****e rules :mad:

as with all these other petitions, they are crap.. and gordon brown simply prints them off & wipes his ar$e on them.. seriously, when has this government listened to the people?? also drive by noise will be a european thing & take decades to become law

napalm_27
31-10-09, 08:18 PM
it is already a law from what has been said on astra owners club there just starting to enforce it more now

Joe Richardson
31-10-09, 08:19 PM
as with all these other petitions, they are crap.. and gordon brown simply prints them off & wipes his ar$e on them.. seriously, when has this government listened to the people?? also drive by noise will be a european thing & take decades to become law

ah phewlol

I just dont want to get find for having a loud exhaust:d

Stuart
31-10-09, 08:20 PM
I'd probably get fined for having an exhaust unbecoming the vehicle its attached to lol

phazer
31-10-09, 08:33 PM
Wonder what they'd make of the induction system being louder than the exhaust? ;)

Stuart
31-10-09, 08:39 PM
Wonder what they'd make of the induction system being louder than the exhaust? ;)

404 error, problem not found lol

AlexW
31-10-09, 08:40 PM
That or the gearbox whining making more noise lol

LEWI007
31-10-09, 09:13 PM
wha if you exhaust is damaged and sounds loud ?

or what if youve went and bought a nice 4 branch manifold and full stainless exhaust system, they are going to fine you for it ? ffs

Joe Richardson
31-10-09, 09:33 PM

or what if youve went and bought a nice 4 branch manifold and full stainless exhaust system, they are going to fine you for it ? ffs#

****e aint it mate,load of bollocks :mad:

Stuart
31-10-09, 09:35 PM
best not to get wound up, as Mowgli said, if its true it will take fapping years to come through :)

Pistol Pete
31-10-09, 09:41 PM

or what if youve went and bought a nice 4 branch manifold and full stainless exhaust system, they are going to fine you for it ? ffs

Fix it then!! lol makes me chuckle when i see people driving with a blatantly fooked exhaust and they appear non the wiser :confused:

floydy13
01-11-09, 09:21 AM
ive recently had a bit of grief with this, neighbour across the road is a bit of a curtain puller and works for the council, thinks she is the council. any way, come to find out shes moaned to the police about my exhaust on the saloon. its a 4 branch manifold and full janspeed mild steel system, made longer at the back. apparently shes called the police that many times, they wanted to come to my work and test the db level. bearing in mind i leave at 8 am and come back at 6pm, and im not out reving the hell out of it at night, i was quite interested my self to see how much it would be.
so the traffic cop turns up, tells me the limit for my car is 82db,he set up his equipment then i had to rev it at tick over, because i have no choke, then rev it at 4250rpm.... failed as i was 89.2 db. the police called said neighbour told her i was only just over the limit so basically wind your neck in. the traffic cop said he would fine me though if i was stopped out on the road!
anyway i thought sod this, so the day after i welded in a exhaust box, in the section i had to make longer, went to the police station to tell them ive tried to quiet the exhaust down could you send the guy over to check it again...a traffic lady turns up this time, tells me the limit is 80db for my car? didnt want to argue with her so let her carry on with the test, my car is now 88.6 db! ive left it for now until i can find someting else to make it more quieter in case i do get stopped on the road, end of the day it all comes down to money for them again! £30 fine every time, and they reckon if you dont do anything about it worst case will be your car will be impounded, and if you dont pay up possibly turned in to a box! i can really see where people are coming from when you see a mk3 1.1 fiesta with a halford weld me up special hanging out the rear, but when people spend hundreds on exhausts, it takes the pi?s sometimes

mowgli
01-11-09, 10:57 AM
floydy, you should borrow a completely standard modern car & go & badger the cops into testing that too.. it could make an interesting comparison.

a few years back, in oxford, they conducted a roadside emissions test. i saw a brand new london taxi with a nissan engine get pulled & it promptly failed. if nissan can't get an engine right, who can??? my guess was the test equipment was shonky...

Jack
01-11-09, 04:55 PM
They've tried - and failed - before to introduce noise limits.

As said many a time, there ARE euro limits, but a dB meter on the side of the road is far from suitable to measure them. They also passed off on introducing an MOT fixed limit as it was "too costly" to install dB meters into all garages (plus it would make a whole range of high performance cars illegal, and those are the guys who will be paying £400+ a year to pay off Mr Brown's mortgage to have the privilege of using the roads).

Bottom line is, don't drive like a twonk and you won't get nicked for it. My Celica has a loud exhaust, but its quite simple to drive (relatively) quietly.

Then Mr Plod should be telling you to fix it, as a damaged exhaust is an MOT failure.