PDA

View Full Version : Not a Nova A Rover 416

Markd89
31-10-09, 12:06 AM
Have a rover 416 K series 1.6 16v ( not the honda engine )
I have done
Headgasket + skimmed head
new waterpump and all pulleys
new belts
full service

Now it is idling like a bag of crap, i've changed the idle control valve
The only thing i can think of is the coolant temp sensor

I can start the car 1st thing and it fires up no problems, soon as i turn the car off it wont fire straight after you have to wait 5 minutes

Asthough there isnt enough fuel going through you have to foot to the floor to start it but still idlest from 800 to 5k randomly ?

Generally just rough idling and sometimes stalls

Help appreciated !

MK999
31-10-09, 12:10 AM
Was about to say headgasket after skimming through but see you did that first lol AFM?

Or maybe it's blown the headgasket already lol

sparkie1401
31-10-09, 12:59 AM
the K series are a very weak engine, so maybe the head gasket had gone previously, you can only repair em so many times

shame they were crap really as they were quick units

the coolant system on the cars was a weak link, how the pipes were positioned and the headertank cap had a rubber ring that perished

Ben
31-10-09, 03:33 AM
have you used oe of the thick spongy headgaskets as they can solve this problem as said your hard pushed to find a head thats not been skimmed 2-3 times already.

comptoncj
31-10-09, 07:56 AM
eratic idling is caused by the cam sensor, you have probs connected the tps and cam sensor plugs backwards because the loom will let you do this, ive done it before and it just hunts and runs really rough, worth a look chap

Markd89
31-10-09, 10:59 AM
will have a try with the snesors.
I've replaced the AFM and still no luck
Also i used one of them really thick headgaskets just encase

Ben
31-10-09, 01:52 PM
also really common problem people do is put the timing 180degree's out.

Markd89
31-10-09, 01:55 PM
defo not 180 out otherwise it would have bent the valves by now
could be a tooth out i will have to check it
It runs fine sometimes then 5 min later it just idles horrible

Spudly
31-10-09, 02:36 PM
Check on the inlet manifold i think its the vac pipe for the servo, i had a 1400 k16 engine and it did this as the nut on that vac pipe worked its way loose and caused an air leak, check thats nice and tight as this could also ne your prob:thumb:

Plug
31-10-09, 02:47 PM
scrap it

Markd89
31-10-09, 03:44 PM
will try that spudly

Jimbo.. dont tempt me lol

Plug
31-10-09, 09:23 PM
i wasnt temptin i was telling :d

Markd89
01-11-09, 03:43 PM
Check on the inlet manifold i think its the vac pipe for the servo, i had a 1400 k16 engine and it did this as the nut on that vac pipe worked its way loose and caused an air leak, check thats nice and tight as this could also ne your prob:thumb:

looked around the inlet today couldn't see anything loose but i've just noticed its running better and i think i know why ( i hope )

The car has been stood for 9 months, it had a quater of tank of fuel in i pressume thats been in since the car was stood.
Now the petrol light has come on it seems to be running alot better so im hoping if i flush the old fuel out with some fresh it might run smoother :roll:

maybe ?

Bubba
01-11-09, 04:20 PM
the K series are a very weak engine, so maybe the head gasket had gone previously, you can only repair em so many times

afaik my mate is on 11 times and its still going haha

if its been stood could the fuel not have condensation in it

Markd89
02-11-09, 10:13 AM
if its been stood could the fuel not have condensation in it

im thinking more along the lines of cobwebs and rats lol

Markd89
03-11-09, 11:49 AM
result, it seems to have cleared also took it for m.ot
Failed on rear arm bushes which are common
Will fit them when the rain stops then its all done

thank god