PDA

View Full Version : Suspension kit advice

Devil-Fish
30-10-09, 09:19 AM
Hi there. Noob on here. Actually joined as my son has just bought his first car at 16. Unsurprisingly a Nova, a 1.0 Spin 3 door hatch to be precise. It needs plenty of work doing to it, but he's already made a good start.

I've told him to register on here too as its a good place to get advice and parts.

Which brings me to why I'm here. I want to get him a suspension kit for Xmas and was looking at the Jamex ones on E-bay. I have a Jamex set on my Manta, but was hoping someone might be able to tell me if the Nova one is any good? Looking at a 60mm drop probably.

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a good, reasonbly cheap set?

Thanks!

let_nova
30-10-09, 09:27 AM
all depends on the budget...... oh hi and welcome. if your going for a reasonable kit but with a smaller budget Gmax are good for this. make sure you get a full kit though as the standard shock would be on the bumpstop at -60mm
heard good and bad things about jamex but to be honest you get what you pay for.

get him to register and start a project thread. seems your into your vaux/opel anyway!

Devil-Fish
30-10-09, 10:14 AM
Thanks for that. TBH I'd heard bad things about G-max....

Well I might take the plunge and go for the Jamex kit. Definately getting shocks and springs too. Hoping to get uprated bushes too before the front end goes back together.

Plan is to keep it a 1 liter till his insurance goes down, then upgrade it to an XE (at least...)

Yes, I suppose we are a bit Vaux orientated. I have the Manta as my project, a V6 Calibra, albeit with a knackered head gasket. My son has his Nova and my GF has a Vectra C.....:thumb:

I will make sure he registers and get that project thread up and running.

let_nova
30-10-09, 10:38 AM
sounds good.... dont XE it too soon... build up to it.. 1ltr to 2ltr is a BIG step
and jamex wont hold up to that...lol

andrew1988
30-10-09, 10:41 AM
For the money of a new Jamex kit you get get a decent second hand set off here in the classifieds

Southie
30-10-09, 10:59 AM
For the money of a new Jamex kit you get get a decent second hand set off here in the classifieds
Its always nice though at Christmas to open NEW things ;)

Depending how much you've got to spend how about a cheap set of coilovers. Probably not the best coilover but due to only being a 1.0 they will surfice. CLICKY (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JOM-COILOVER-SUSPENSION-KIT-VAUXHALL-NOVA-ALL-MODELS_W0QQitemZ280412606852QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4149e4d184 )

Devil-Fish
30-10-09, 11:03 AM
sounds good.... dont XE it too soon... build up to it.. 1ltr to 2ltr is a BIG step
and jamex wont hold up to that...lol

No, I know, lol Going to make sure the shell is sorted first. Needs a bit of work. I suggested that if he has the spare cash to get the chassis strengthening kit and fit it while the car is in bits. That way its already done.

I dare say after 2 or 3 years the suspension coud do with "freshening" anyway, before the upgrade.

AlexW
30-10-09, 11:03 AM
Welcome to png.

Depends on the ride comfort he wants lol. Coilover kits may be worth it, but then there not cheap, a cheap set like southie posted or you could go the whole hog for a Gaz kit, which is about £410 with the club discount.

And to having new things to open, get refurbing!

Stuart
30-10-09, 11:11 AM
strengthening kit is a waste on any car that isnt going into the forrest imho.

Dunno if you can still get it new or how much, but Konis are great.

Mind you prehaps keeping his cornering speeds down would be a wise start lol

Plug
30-10-09, 11:24 AM
Its always nice though at Christmas to open NEW things ;)

Depending how much you've got to spend how about a cheap set of coilovers. Probably not the best coilover but due to only being a 1.0 they will surfice. CLICKY (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JOM-COILOVER-SUSPENSION-KIT-VAUXHALL-NOVA-ALL-MODELS_W0QQitemZ280412606852QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4149e4d184 )

i might just have to try that coilover set up as its nearly christmas and my cars only a 1litre atm :)

welcome to the mad house aswell mate get some pics of the manta up :) project thread time

GDN16v
30-10-09, 02:47 PM
G Max kit would be fine for his first car, pointless paying £400 for a kit for a first car! Jamex are slightly harder springs for use on European roads, gmax are designed with a slightly softer british road in mind!

If he decides to keep the car after getting some miles on it, then change to a more expensive kit down the line abit for either Bilstein, Koni or GAZ etc!:thumb::)

Devil-Fish
03-11-09, 04:07 PM
Cheers for the advice. Basically I want to get him something that will more than anything make the car look better. I'll kill him if he drives like I do, lol

I'll look at G-max, but I'd heard that the springs sometimes "oversettle" and sag.

Not really into coilovers for road cars. Maybe when he upgrades as it'll probably be more for drag and track.

Got him a set of second hand 15's on the way, so I thought that while the car is apart etc, a new suspension setup would be good.

I disagree with the "not using the strengthening kit" remark. This car was never designed for the sort of power that the XE/LET produces. Look at the trouble Vauxhall had with the Astra Mk2 when the dropped it in that! Safety first!! God I sound old, but it's my son after all!

Jon_nova1
03-11-09, 04:52 PM
I had Jamex on my old nova, they were fine for me at the time, a tad harsh for when you start getting a little older and want abit of comfort, but never really bothered me lol

alan b
03-11-09, 06:44 PM
are jamex and gmax not both made by the same people anyway? both are poo in my opinion, had jamex and both front shocks burst in 5 months.
havent heard of those coilovers before, but theres a few place doin fk coilovers for 200 bobbers.

Devil-Fish
04-11-09, 12:56 PM
Jamex are German aren't they? G-max are, well, who knows??
Surely if they are German they have to pass TUV?

Rysee
04-11-09, 12:59 PM
I have to say, welcome to PNG and you're an awesome Dad haha

I bought some Spax RSX nearly new for £270, they're awesome, i'd prefer to pay that on them then get them JOM ones or Gmax new cheaper

Nova_Tek
04-11-09, 01:02 PM
I'd personally go for the Eibach Sportline kit and some good shocks. Can't beat Eibach quality one of the best manufacturers of springs around, if not the best, they'll lower around 50mm so should look very nice and IIRC cost around £100 for the springs so not much money for some top quality items. Coupled with some adjustable short shocks they should be perfect. :thumb:

MattBrown
04-11-09, 01:24 PM
I'd personally go for the Eibach Sportline kit and some good shocks. Can't beat Eibach quality one of the best manufacturers of springs around, if not the best, they'll lower around 50mm so should look very nice and IIRC cost around £100 for the springs so not much money for some top quality items. Coupled with some adjustable short shocks they should be perfect. :thumb:

Seeing the quality of eibach, I would be tempted, they go to finer details, like surface finish, on camber bolts!lol

The camber bolts I got of them were awesome!

So I would say, get a nice set of 50mm sport springs, and some nice gas shocks:thumb:

craig green
04-11-09, 01:33 PM
I would be tempted to get one of these cheap coilover kits from the 'bay & see how it goes for a couple years. We just put some Hot-tuning ones on a mk3 Golf & they feel great.

IMO Eibach's wont go low enough despite their claims. But G-MAX/JAMEX is utter toss IMO. Stay well clear despite just wanting a -60mm drop, poor suspension is worse than std suspension. I've been there with Pi & Jamex stuff in the past, I found it infuriating & downright dangerous.

Another option is maybe price up some KYB shocks from a motorfactors, they are usually an affordable price, then get hold of some decent springs.

Nova_Tek
04-11-09, 01:49 PM
Seeing the quality of eibach, I would be tempted, they go to finer details, like surface finish, on camber bolts!lol

The camber bolts I got of them were awesome!

So I would say, get a nice set of 50mm sport springs, and some nice gas shocks:thumb:

lol the finer details are nice. Seriously though they are very good. Them or H&R.

I would be tempted to get one of these cheap coilover kits from the 'bay & see how it goes for a couple years. We just put some Hot-tuning ones on a mk3 Golf & they feel great.

IMO Eibach's wont go low enough despite their claims. But G-MAX/JAMEX is utter toss IMO. Stay well clear despite just wanting a -60mm drop, poor suspension is worse than std suspension. I've been there with Pi & Jamex stuff in the past, I found it infuriating & downright dangerous.

Another option is maybe price up some KYB shocks from a motorfactors, they are usually an affordable price, then get hold of some decent springs.

For me it was either Eibach or H&R. I have heard people say the 'bigger boys' don't always lower what they say but with my H&R's they have lowered at least what they mentioned. Mine are only -30mm (I did want Eibach Pro Kit -40mm but were discontinued and the H&R equiv. was -30mm)

The sportline kit from Eibach is more for handling where as the Prokit is imporvment in ride hieght and handling over stock. 50mm is also a good compromise on practicality and everyday driving around town without it being too low to make it a pain to drive. I am biased towards these brands as I use/know of people who use them but this is totally my opinion and this is what I'd go for now if I had to go buy suspension again.

I agree with Craig and the KYB gas shocks, they have been brilliant with my H&R's and were really affordable too, my springs cost more than 4 shocks lol

I would totally steer clear of the budget stuff, there is a reason why they are so cheap imo.

alan b
04-11-09, 07:09 PM
ive ran kyb's before the bronze ones, with corsa gsi springs this was with a redtop, and they were great, twer dam near as good as the koni's and courtney conversion springs i had after.

daverobson
04-11-09, 07:33 PM
i had the jmax kit, was good but really hard. after a year or so of battering the front shocks went soft and the wheel fouled the arch on bumpy corners. still use the rears lol

Devil-Fish
05-11-09, 08:49 AM
Well I had Eibach springs on a Chrysler Neon and I must admit they transformed it's handling, so it could be a better idea, and then find some matching shocks.