PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox Fitting

General Lee
29-10-09, 12:22 PM
On a 1-10 scale how hard do you think a gearbox is to replace. I have a 1.2 with a 4 speed box, but i want to put a 5 speed box i have doing nothing on, as i will be doing alot more motoway miles soon.

Cheers
Nath

kent14sr
29-10-09, 12:32 PM
6 I would say - depends on how mechanically minded you are really

If you do it you need to cut the lug off under the gearlever shroud to get 5th

hc coupe
29-10-09, 12:35 PM
I've been looking at changing my one . I did look though the articals but I don't think theres a guide, so have been putting it off .

If you do it, take lots of photo's please and knock up a guide ? :d

General Lee
29-10-09, 12:44 PM
6 I would say - depends on how mechanically minded you are really

If you do it you need to cut the lug off under the gearlever shroud to get 5th

I've done engine changes before and head gaskets, and all sorts, but when i have done the engine changes the gearbox has allways been connected i have never taken one off or put one on (i lie i took one off before but with the help of ernie, i say help he did it i watched) but that was a while ago and it's gone from my memory bank.

General Lee
29-10-09, 12:47 PM
I've been looking at changing my one . I did look though the articals but I don't think theres a guide, so have been putting it off .

If you do it, take lots of photo's please and knock up a guide ? :d

Yeah i will do mate, i might give it a bash this weekend, but the only problem is it's my everyday vehicle so i can't muck it up.

MK999
29-10-09, 12:54 PM
unbolt it, take gear/clutch linkages etc off, pull it off, stick new one on. Hardest bit is negotiating circa 25kg into place. Don't forget you need to support the engine in some way, as 2 of it's 3 mounts are on the gearbox.

Changed mine on a stand, so not sure how hard it is to get round space requirements in the bay, shouldn't be too difficult if you dip the engine down a tad thought.

edit: just thought, can't have been on the stand as it's in the way of the clutch, must have been on the floor/crane.

General Lee
29-10-09, 12:58 PM
unbolt it, take gear/clutch linkages etc off, pull it off, stick new one on. Hardest bit is negotiating circa 25kg into place. Don't forget you need to support the engine in some way, as 2 of it's 3 mounts are on the gearbox.

Changed mine on a stand, so not sure how hard it is to get round space requirements in the bay, shouldn't be too difficult if you dip the engine down a tad thought.

edit: just thought, can't have been on the stand as it's in the way of the clutch, must have been on the floor/crane.

Cool thanks mark, the only thing i was really worried about is that i was told you have to line the spindle up dead inline, and i was told to unbolt the spindle put it in and bolt it back. thats the bit that sounded like a mission. do you recon i could do it in a day. Also what about the driveshafts how hard are they to take off with engine still in place and how would you do it by pulling it from the hub.

brake-dust
29-10-09, 01:09 PM
took me about an hour to change my f20, not to hard really

garyc
29-10-09, 01:21 PM
find a helper it will be even easier, bit of a job on your own but can be done.

Jack
29-10-09, 01:38 PM
Yeah, much easier as a two man job - when Lee did mine, he was on top positioning the box from above and I was underneath holding it in place on the jack and moving it up/down as required.

lol. Lee was on top whilst I was underneath moving it up and down. Snigger.

MK999
29-10-09, 01:44 PM
Cool thanks mark, the only thing i was really worried about is that i was told you have to line the spindle up dead inline, and i was told to unbolt the spindle put it in and bolt it back. thats the bit that sounded like a mission. do you recon i could do it in a day. Also what about the driveshafts how hard are they to take off with engine still in place and how would you do it by pulling it from the hub.

Ah yeah, forgot about driveshafts, luxury of doing it out of the car lol Just make them free at the wheel end by unbolting whatever your favourite option is, I usually go for lower arm and tie bar, then they just pull out of the box.

I had problems with mine in that the diff had actually spun round and the splines in the box weren't pointing at the driveshaft holes, but I've not heard of anyone else having this problem.

Welsh Dan
29-10-09, 01:48 PM
Its much easier with a helper. The mechanical side of things - removing the driveshafts, clutch cable, gear linkage is easy. If you support the engine with a jack you have to lift the gearbox into place onto the retaining pegs, then put a bolt in to hold it there before you lose your grip, thats the hard part.

You'll need a big (36mm I think) socket to access the input shaft on the side of the 4 speed gearbox, some circlip pliers to remove the circlip, then an 8mm 12 sided bit to unscrew the bolt thats in there. With that out screw in a long M7/M8 bolt and pull on it to withdraw the input shaft. For the 5 speed box before you fit it take the end cover off and repeat the process. That way once the box is bolted up you just need to push the input shaft home, refit the circlip then refit all of the usuals.

The job is easier if you remove the driveshafts completely, and I found it easiest to dead lift the gearbox from above, leaning over the slam panel, with an assistant leaning over the passenger wing to put some bolts in quick!

General Lee
29-10-09, 02:08 PM
Yeah, much easier as a two man job - when Lee did mine, he was on top positioning the box from above and I was underneath holding it in place on the jack and moving it up/down as required.

lol. Lee was on top whilst I was underneath moving it up and down. Snigger.

You didn't need the extra sentence there Jack. lol

GRUNT 16V
29-10-09, 03:10 PM
When i was part of a service crew in a car park in oswestry we changed a F16 gear box within 15 minutes what a fooking mission that was !!
i would say 4-5 difficulty its pi55 easy

Jon_nova1
29-10-09, 04:02 PM
Have you tried taking the lug out to see if you have a fifth gear already? as vauxhall just put a lug in place on some 4 speeds when they ran out of 5 speeds lol

General Lee
29-10-09, 04:05 PM
oooo that would be a bonus wouldn't it, i will try later lol lol

General Lee
29-10-09, 04:07 PM
Its much easier with a helper. The mechanical side of things - removing the driveshafts, clutch cable, gear linkage is easy. If you support the engine with a jack you have to lift the gearbox into place onto the retaining pegs, then put a bolt in to hold it there before you lose your grip, thats the hard part.

You'll need a big (36mm I think) socket to access the input shaft on the side of the 4 speed gearbox, some circlip pliers to remove the circlip, then an 8mm 12 sided bit to unscrew the bolt thats in there. With that out screw in a long M7/M8 bolt and pull on it to withdraw the input shaft. For the 5 speed box before you fit it take the end cover off and repeat the process. That way once the box is bolted up you just need to push the input shaft home, refit the circlip then refit all of the usuals.

The job is easier if you remove the driveshafts completely, and I found it easiest to dead lift the gearbox from above, leaning over the slam panel, with an assistant leaning over the passenger wing to put some bolts in quick!

the last time i removed drive shafts for an engine change they were a right mare to get out. But yeah that seems everything i need, tbh, is the removal of the input shaft nessasary tho.

Jon_nova1
29-10-09, 04:29 PM
No its not, i've never taken out the input shaft

Welsh Dan
29-10-09, 04:32 PM
If you don't take the input shaft out of the box you're removing, you might knock the clutch out of alignment, and if you don't take the input shaft out of the one you're fitting, you might never line it up.

Driveshafts are easy to remove - get the car up on the axle stands with the wheels off. Undo the bolt holding the steering knuckle to the bottom ball joint and pull the joint out of the knuckle. Steer the car all the way to the right, then use the left hand steering knuckle as a slide hammer to pull the inner CV out of the gearbox. Steer all of the way to the left then do the same for the right hand shaft. Put the bottom ball joints back in. Remove the split pins on the castle nuts on the hubs then get an assistant to press the brakes while you remove the nuts. The shafts will now just pull out from the inside. If they don't, give them a tap with a rubber mallet.

AlexW
29-10-09, 05:54 PM
Same as i do Dan.

One thing that Mark said though, No need to remove the clutch etc unless your actually changing it.

The 5speed/4speed is a myth, to do with the 4 speeds having a 5 speed diagram on the top of the selector turret.

mowgli
29-10-09, 07:03 PM
Have you tried taking the lug out to see if you have a fifth gear already? as vauxhall just put a lug in place on some 4 speeds when they ran out of 5 speeds lol

that is the biggest lot of bull i've heard tonight.

follow haynes & get a proper 5 speed stick

Connor
02-11-09, 11:25 AM
Anyone help me i have a f10 4 speed and have a f13cr 5 speed i have some kind of linkage, dont really know what part it is, what part of the linkage is needed can anyone get pictures of the linkage needed...... rep awarded!!

AlexW
02-11-09, 11:37 AM
Conner the standard linkage and everything will work on your new gearbox.

Connor
02-11-09, 04:46 PM
oh cool.....

take it all i would have to do is take the lil bung thing out so it will engage in 5th??

AlexW
02-11-09, 04:51 PM
Its not a bung, its a bit you have to cut off, pop off your gator and when you go for 5th your see a little lug that you need to cut

Connor
02-11-09, 05:50 PM
oh ok i will have a little butcher next time i get chance