PDA

View Full Version : Full Sills - Nova

vaughanmc
29-10-09, 11:55 AM
I noticed my replacement sills for the Sport didn't have the drainage holes on them at the bottom

Will they not be there for a reason (as all the old sills are getting cut off and the new ones put on, there not skins)

Should I leave them as they are or get drainage holes drilled in along the bottom

Cheers, Vaughan :thumb:

Mint FRST
29-10-09, 12:00 PM
Drill them in...

Remember it is a pattern of an original and so for costs/tooling etc they dont pre drill them.

vaughanmc
29-10-09, 12:26 PM
Ahh right, never thought of that

Cheers mate :)

I'll get them drilled before there fitted

c ryan
29-10-09, 01:42 PM
do ya have a project thread

i have to replace my sills too would be great if ya could do a good write up on this with pics would help me loads please

vaughanmc
29-10-09, 02:41 PM
Not started on my Sport yet mate, don't know when I will be either

Spudly
29-10-09, 05:08 PM
The drainage holes are only for sunroof equipped novas (tilt slide roofs only) as they have four tubes running away from the four corners of the sunroof recess to carry away standing water, yours doesnt have a tilt slide roof iirc so your shouldnt need to drill them:thumb:

Im fairly sure thats correct btw but if someone would like to offer an experience based opinion this would be better lol

Sloth
29-10-09, 05:11 PM
my 4dr loons all have had em. usually with rust around emlol

vaughanmc
29-10-09, 05:34 PM
I think I'll put them in to be safe - Will be full of Waxoyl anyway

Mint FRST
29-10-09, 09:45 PM
IIRC all Nova's av 'em i.e. inc Non sunroof models...

novalicous
29-10-09, 09:48 PM
My non-sunroom one has them

Benn
29-10-09, 09:50 PM
Not started on my Sport yet mate, don't know when I will be either

Think you should.

craig green
29-10-09, 10:01 PM
I would imagine the holes are for drainage when the shell comes out from any dipping process before painting.
Doesnt hurt to have the holes for the cavity to breathe, sure the sills are open to the interior but thats more than likely to have condensation from changing ambient temperatures etc.

If you do chose to drill the holes in, be sure to really proof the edges of your hole.

vaughanmc
30-10-09, 02:17 PM
Think you should.

Will be starting soon...Front panel is nearly off - Just need to tidy up where the new one is going to be welded on

Next couple of weeks maybe

I'll see what the guy who's doing the welding thinks about the drainage holes...