PDA

View Full Version : learning to weld, what welder?

supernovaxe
28-10-09, 08:20 PM
gota learn to weld in the next week:eek: to get my project ready for the paint shop, welded with sticks many a time but never mig, i pick things up quick so should be ok but dont know what type of welder to suit my needs, i need a reliable manufacture, i wont be using it on a regular basis an i will only be welding on car related items, panels, seam welding etc, nothing to flashy or powerfull. if anyone is selling theirs i got money waiting, need one asap:thumb:

Morton
28-10-09, 08:37 PM
to be honest mate any leading brand is good as its mostly to do with what gas your using or weather your using gas..

Pistol Pete
28-10-09, 08:49 PM
Have a look at Machine Mart. Good selection of hobby welders.

Jon_nova1
28-10-09, 08:54 PM
when i did my nvq in welding we were taught with the arc, as it was the hardest, so the theory was, if you can arc weld, you can weld with anything, i picked up a mig and could weld with it, having never touched it in my life lol

Machinemart are ok for hobby welders, if you intend on abusing it, get a turbo one

trossnova
28-10-09, 09:01 PM
i bought a migtronic welder second hand for £75 dosent need much setting up and works great mate so id say have a look at that brand, also any snap on brand although exspensive is good depends if you want something that will last you or if its just to do your project etc.

supernovaxe
01-11-09, 10:51 PM
well got one this morning, snap on something or other, 2 big reels of wire, 1 new small gas canister and 1 large one just refilled, 2 guns, helmet, and loads of tips, all for £110 so was pleased with that, got it back to the yard, connected it all up, and nothing.... i think my generators not man enuf as it did strugle with a nine inch grinder, so, anyone selling/know of a decent generator?lol

bmw156
01-11-09, 10:54 PM
good price.

dont suspect its a 3 phase and your only running single?

supernovaxe
01-11-09, 11:36 PM
no mate
think i need a minimum 5 kva generator, my plasma cutter wouldnt work on my current one either so i need one big time, there about 700!

brainsnova
02-11-09, 12:30 AM
heres a good how to mig weld guide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJrBxABswjs

jimbob-mcgrew
02-11-09, 03:22 PM
gas is my fav, second is arc, not a fan of mig and tig (what they use on cars mainly lol) just my luck.

GRUNT 16V
02-11-09, 04:26 PM
practice is the key smallest welder to go for would be 100amp go for it !!