PDA

View Full Version : Replacing sills on nova info needed

c ryan
28-10-09, 05:47 PM
Ok im going to attempt to cut out my rusty sills and replace them with new ones.

Is there anyone here can give me advice in doing it that has done it.

Also is there any project thread that is good for this to give me a idea of work involved.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP:thumb:

draper
28-10-09, 05:48 PM
stuartp was/is replacing sills on a blue nova i think

c ryan
28-10-09, 05:56 PM
does he have project thread up??

draper
28-10-09, 05:59 PM
yeah he does, try the search lol

Andy
28-10-09, 06:18 PM
Use as little of the new panel as possible ie its easier to blend in with filler on the long flat section rather than the doorstep and the quarter,also draw a straight line where you want to cut.Sounds daft but ive seen people freehand grinding then have to trim panels etc.Make sure you cut all areas of rust out.
Most important though,take your time!

Rexy
28-10-09, 07:00 PM
Use an air saw, not a grinder!

you will also need a spot weld drill bit, a decent drill and also a wire brush attachment for your drill. Chisle and hammer as well for removing said spot welds :D

its eas yenough if you use your head..

brainsnova
28-10-09, 07:06 PM
id go easy at the sill at the rear quarter so you dont cut through the strengthening bar.

Andy
28-10-09, 07:09 PM
Use an air saw, not a grinder!

you will also need a spot weld drill bit, a decent drill and also a wire brush attachment for your drill. Chisle and hammer as well for removing said spot welds :D

its eas yenough if you use your head..
What about if you have no compressor or air saw?;)
A plasma disc in a grinder is fine

c ryan
28-10-09, 07:43 PM
i was planning on replacing the full sill getting part from north ireland

would i be better replacing the full sill or just the rusted section as its only the piece where the sill meets the quarter panel