PDA

View Full Version : weird feeling brakes

bmw156
27-10-09, 11:57 PM
hey guys, as some of you know i have just got another nova, i actually got it tonight, and had a quick drive and the brake pedal feels well weird.

my F reg, feels tought, and as you push it applies pressure (as normal)

the K reg, feels like the pedal is loose, so you push it to take up the slack, and then it has a tiny bit more travel which is when all the breaking comes. it doesnt snap on the brakes.

the fluid level is fine.

any ideas?

it like there is no servo lol

Steve
28-10-09, 12:09 AM
Yep, it could definitely be the servo on its way, since I crashed my 2.0 the braking just doesnt feel as responsive, you have to apply more pressure and even then they dont bite as well as they did before. My mate said it could be the servo not giving enough pressure, its easy enough to change so you might as well upgrade to gte/gsi one while you're doing it.

Riggy
28-10-09, 12:22 AM
fluid could also need changing , could need bleeding , could have air leak from vac hose

Welsh Dan
28-10-09, 12:53 AM
If there is slack in the pedal you need to adjust the pedal/transfer bar aswell.

jimbob-mcgrew
28-10-09, 01:59 AM
sounds like air in the system, if you havent bled the 4 quarters yet, give that a try.

16xe_chris
28-10-09, 06:49 AM
sounds like air in the system, if you havent bled the 4 quarters yet, give that a try.

Is there a leaking cylinder in the rear drums???

Check that the brake lines are all okay too matey just to be on the safe side:thumb:

bmw156
28-10-09, 08:26 AM
yeh im gonna check it all and see if there is any leeaks any where, the fluid is at a high reasonable level so it doesnt worry me.

and it doesnt feel as if air is in the system, just a slack pedal. as it doesnt have any trouble breaking when the pedal gets there lol

Royston
28-10-09, 08:42 AM
Probably isn't this but,

Make sure the pin hasn't come out between the transfer bar/servo.(it shouldn't as there is a "R" pin to secure)

I had a similar sensation pedal travel wise when bleeding the SR brakes when I put her back together, for some inexplicable reason I forgot to put the "R" pin in and the clevis pin fell out:tard: :tard: :tard: , so only limited travel on brake unit.

Servo is the likely candidate;)

burgo
28-10-09, 10:34 AM
the k reg has standard brakes and your f reg doesnt??

Jack
28-10-09, 12:01 PM
^ lol

Does sound like the pedal/bar needs adjusting. It'd be worth refreshing the fluid anyway, checking discs and pads too.

bmw156
28-10-09, 01:17 PM
the k reg has standard brakes and your f reg doesnt??

yes burgo, you be correct lol, just come around and feel it damn it lol.

yes its worth the 2 hours travling time:P

DAFTJOHN
28-10-09, 04:54 PM

Sounds like mine - the rubber in the servo perished. It was getting easier to push down to the point I would be holding the car at traffic lights on the brakes and the car would creep back as the air went by the seal. It's now at the point where I can push the pedal to the floor and on hills the brake light comes on - fluid is all fine.

I'd swap the Servo and Master Cylinder

Guderian
28-10-09, 05:19 PM
When i had 'poor bite' it was ancient rear wheel cylinders which had filled up the drums with fluid. Worth a check as they may never have been apart.

Jon_nova1
28-10-09, 05:33 PM
just come around and feel it damn it lol.

that sounds like an invitation to me, BMX asking you to go round for "a feel" lol

bmw156
29-10-09, 12:10 AM
that sounds like an invitation to me, BMX asking you to go round for "a feel" lol

lol

burgo
29-10-09, 01:23 AM

im sure you mean 10 mins ;)

loggyboy
29-10-09, 02:06 AM
Just bleed them
90% of soft brake feel can be solved by a 4 corner bleed