PDA

View Full Version : Steering gear grease

Iain
27-10-09, 05:20 PM
Haynes tells me I need 'GM steering gear grease' to rebuild my steering rack.

How does this differ from normal grease? I have an unknown multipurposes grease and a lith moly grease (for CVs and stuff) - are these not suitable?

Cheers!

Guderian
27-10-09, 05:30 PM
Whenever i have dismantled them i seem to remember it being the right colour for being moly grease.. I have a selection of haynes manuals so might be able to plunder them for general info. later on

Iain
27-10-09, 05:36 PM
Nice one.

The rack I'm dismantling is a recently rebuilt one (motor factors exchange) - it's a goldy browny colour grease, different to my grey lith moly stuff?

Adam
27-10-09, 06:12 PM
Goldy brown, its probably just "normal" grease tbh

craig green
27-10-09, 06:15 PM
Aye. No such thiung as 'normal' grease but typically you find the golden 'Lithium' type stuff. Molybendum grease is the dark grey immensely staining type stuff you can't wash out of a white hoodie!

Use the proper stuff IMO. Wrong greases can actually promote corrosion as opposed to stop it in some cases where differing metals are in contact.

Iain
02-11-09, 03:56 PM
Well I went to the Vauxhall parts counter today and asked for some of their finest GM steering gear grease for a Nova steering rack...

He couldn't find anything except a Meriva steering grease and couldn't tell me what type of grease it actually is.

I reckon I'll build it up with the golden multipurpose grease I have TBH, it's not a high temperature/high speed thing anyway.

Iain
03-11-09, 10:18 AM
A quick phonecall to Quaife this morning and he reckoned lithium grease like that used for CVs.