PDA

View Full Version : URGENT timing help

Euan
15-03-03, 07:00 PM
got a "mechanic" up today (guy i know) to change ma head gasket and i was gonna watch.

everythin was goin fine. he went to put the camshaft back on and the timing mark on the wheel had rubbed off. tried turning the wheel until it falls in line but it either sits perfect on one side or another not both.

is there anything i can do to sort this stupid cunts mistake!

Nova-Boy
15-03-03, 07:54 PM
On the crank shaft pulley bolt turn the crank shaft until the notch it is inline with the ignition pointer. Then turn your cam shaft (without the belt attached) until the notch on the camshaft sproket lines up with the back plate notch. That should make the cam and crank run in time. With the distributer cap off the rotar arm should be pointing to no1 lead. Now fit cam belt and tighten, ensuring it doesn't slip a tooth whilst putting it on. It may need some slight timing but that will make sure your not going to bash any valves whilst trying!

Euan
15-03-03, 08:04 PM
where is the ignition pointer mate?

i've been left on my own here cus the wee dick has fucked off home.

locky
15-03-03, 09:52 PM
!ts right next tho the crankshaft pulley, on the right hand side, on the engine block, its a little spikey thing!

Euan
16-03-03, 01:16 AM
right i know what u mean by the camshaft housing and lining up those 2 notches.

however i dont know where to find the crankshaft pulley bolt and ignition timing notch.

i know am soundin a bit dumb but as you can all imagine i really need this done and done properly asap!

when i turn the crankshaft pulley with it move the valve at all?

Euan
16-03-03, 05:26 PM
k sorry to go on etc,

but....

been out at the car for a while laid the new gasket properly etc. bolted the manifolds on etc.

i then turned the crankshaft pulley in line with small spike as said.

then turned the camshaft "wheel" notch so it is inline with the one on the backplate. however the camshaft housing just wont mate properly with the cylinder head.

do i need to put the head bolts in and bolt it down onto it to get it to sit flush with the cylinder head?

really need help on this 1 guys cheers.

Euan
17-03-03, 12:07 PM
yeh cheers chief