PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work for Vaux/Know anything about ECOtec diesels?

Adam
26-10-09, 06:32 PM
As above. Just looking for a cheap daily driver when a mate gave me a call and said his dad is selling his Vectra B.
Its a T-plate, ph2, looks quite nice.

Its a 2.0 Di 16v i think he said.

I assume thats a NA derv as it isnt a DTi?
Also he says the ecu light comes on occasionally when driving, can you flash codes out like on earlier petrol engines? Or is it a tech2 only jobbie? Do many sensors on these engines go wrong?

Cheers :)

General Baxter
26-10-09, 06:33 PM
are these the ones that the fuel pump gets dry joints on ?

Adam
26-10-09, 06:50 PM
No idea, i know NOTHING about them at all.....

The engine just looks like a washing machine, plastic covers everywhere.

Oh and its done 177k, just been used as a motorway motor afaik.....

amggsi
26-10-09, 07:12 PM
are these the ones that the fuel pump gets dry joints on ?

Yup, fuel pumps like to go on these, don't know what causes it though, because we had one that needed a pump at 70k, but my uncle has one with 150k+ and still on the original one!

Roughly £1,000 to put right too - you don't really want to buy second hand as it could be as bad.......

And it's a turbo diesel, 85ish bhp, DTi has an intercooler and a whole 100bhp.:thumb:

John
26-10-09, 07:14 PM
It'll be turbo diesel Ad, Chain driven, and can be problematic with the eml. Engine code should be X20DTH iirc. It's very similar to our zafira.
What else do you need to know ad, i served my time on these lmao! lol

John
26-10-09, 07:14 PM
Stick with the astra!

Adam
26-10-09, 07:20 PM
Dont get me wrong, the Astras been a mint car, never let me down once. Its just looking its age and a bit tired now. But it doesnt exactly owe me much lol

I just want something newer/tidier to use daily.... A set of nice wheels and some cheap ebay coilovers and it'll be sorted :)

Going up have a quick look at it now, and a bit of a test drive. Ive seen pics of it and it does look v.tidy and hes not wanting much for it....
Is the EML going to be an expensive issue? Apparently it makes no difference to how it runs, just randomly flashes on every so often....

John
26-10-09, 07:28 PM
Dont get me wrong, the Astras been a mint car, never let me down once. Its just looking its age and a bit tired now. But it doesnt exactly owe me much lol

I just want something newer/tidier to use daily.... A set of nice wheels and some cheap ebay coilovers and it'll be sorted :)

Going up have a quick look at it now, and a bit of a test drive. Ive seen pics of it and it does look v.tidy and hes not wanting much for it....
Is the EML going to be an expensive issue? Apparently it makes no difference to how it runs, just randomly flashes on every so often....

iirc the codes can still be flashed off, Like baxter has said, the pumps can be problematic, along with egr valves. "critical system malfunction 1 or 2" can also be stored, which can take ages to trace. Our zafira goes into limp mode once the eml comes on (scares the wife sh&tless as it won't rev over 1500rpm til it goes off!) Not sure if the vectra does though.

brucer
26-10-09, 07:40 PM
ive got a dti vec, as above tbh. pumps do go and they sometimes have fuel issues with air leaks etc. injector seals/leak off pipes that sort of thing.
pumps are around 500-600pound

to see a bit of a gain in performance its wise to take off the inlet manifold and egr valve and clean them out good and proper. they get caked in shxt.

if the DI has the same pump as the DTI then elite tuning to a tuning box and should see 20bhp and lots more torque out of it. around 200pound.

Adam
26-10-09, 08:04 PM
Just had a quick look round it and it is quite tidy tbh.
Had a quick drive and yup the management light occasionally flashes up, engine running doesnt change though.....

But OMG its so under powered it isnt funny!! lol
The turbo just doesnt seem to have any "pull" like in does in the astra. But it runs and drives mint, the performance is putting me off big time though...
But for a daily, it may be ok... No doubt it will do decent mpg, and its 2 groups less insurance than the astra.....

brucer
26-10-09, 08:15 PM
50mpg easy

btw which trim/model level is it?

Mike
26-10-09, 08:18 PM
Dont get me started on these god damn ecotec deisels.....

John
26-10-09, 08:18 PM
can be impoved slightly with a good front mount intercooler ad, and a tuning box but they're £200+ iirc.

dougie_boi
26-10-09, 08:21 PM
if its badly under powerd get the egr valve checked as there bad for going

John
26-10-09, 08:34 PM
egr will bring eml on. I should know, i bought one at trade price for our Zafira last year, £250 fecking quid!

Adam
26-10-09, 08:45 PM
Its an arctic II model.
Fully colour coded, star silver. Tis very tidy, nice interior, 15s, air con etc too i think.

Maybe the eml has something to do with its lack of power, or its entirely normal and i was just expecting more.... But the current astra seems so much quicker.......

John
26-10-09, 08:46 PM
Good trim level ad, did it have an i/c? if so it's a dth. Ph1 or 2?

Adam
26-10-09, 08:49 PM
Its a ph2, with the all in one headlamps etc.

No idea if its got an IC on John, never really checked. Do they run mega mega low boost as it drives like a na diesel.

Adam
26-10-09, 08:51 PM
Same as this, but star silver and it doesnt have the black bits on the bumpers, they are fully colour coded. And its a hatch.
http://www.find14u.co.uk/WilliamLoganCars/clientimages/tn-99%20vectra%20fr%20crn%20big.jpg

John
26-10-09, 09:08 PM
Its a ph2, with the all in one headlamps etc.

No idea if its got an IC on John, never really checked. Do they run mega mega low boost as it drives like a na diesel.

Yeah the blow through ones are crap! if it's ph2 it should be a y20dth though, so should have an i/c as standard.

Adam
26-10-09, 09:14 PM
I think the bay looked same as this one
http://www.uppyjc.co.uk/hosted/y20dth.jpg

But with the big ecotec cover fitted.

John
26-10-09, 09:19 PM
Air flow meters can also be a prob ad, Wil store "critical system malfunction" fault code again! Will be flat as fook if it's duff.
Yeah that's a y20dth.

Adam
26-10-09, 09:23 PM
Hmm, might be worth a better look at it.
Hes only wanting about £450 for it iirc which aint exactly a huge amount of money.

John
26-10-09, 09:24 PM
Sounds fair for that money, go flash the codes off lol

Adam
26-10-09, 09:27 PM
How do i go about doing that?
Paper clip into diag port? What pins???

No info on topbuzz.

John
26-10-09, 09:30 PM
Actually my bad, i'm not sure you can on these, it has the 16 pin obd plug.

Adam
26-10-09, 09:39 PM
You can flash out some 16pin ports on petrol eco's
Like so
http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_codes/s007.jpg

Hmm, i wonder if its the same type of port...

General Baxter
26-10-09, 09:42 PM
there the ones with the fuel pump problems :p

John
26-10-09, 09:50 PM
yeah it has the 16 pin obd2 plug Ad, go see if you can get them.

Adam
26-10-09, 10:13 PM
Will see what i can do.

Just got a txt to say that the boost pipe goes straight from the turbo to the inlet, so it dont have a IC.
Must be a Y20DTL then........

General Baxter
26-10-09, 10:16 PM
keep the proper diesel engine so when the 2L goes pop and it will, you can fit it lol

Bubba
26-10-09, 10:36 PM
it has ECO on it...step away and sit in the corner

Adam
27-10-09, 03:16 PM
My 1600 16v had eco on it. lol
That did a hour and half session CONSTANTLY around Donington(i.e. out on track for 1.30 hours), numerous 1/4 runs and never let me down once.
Baxter has even touched it and it still runs now...lol

ECOtecs are not bad engines.

Its just like with most things, you get one bad example and thats it, they are all s**te

Mike
27-10-09, 05:05 PM
Will see what i can do.

Just got a txt to say that the boost pipe goes straight from the turbo to the inlet, so it dont have a IC.
Must be a Y20DTL then........

Same as my 1700 then, thats easy enough to alter tho Ad, the extra boost piping is pish cheap from GM & as you know front mounts are ten a penny.

Rich
27-10-09, 09:32 PM
split vaccum hoses are a popular fault, can often cause a lack of performance without an eml light (or at least not a constant light)

Get an sri 2.2 lol