PDA

View Full Version : What sander to buy??

supernovaxe
25-10-09, 01:21 AM
dont know if i put this in the write place but would is the best sander to use to prep my car for a full respray? are air sanders better than electric?:thumb:

ade
25-10-09, 01:45 AM
TBH if you have a decent compressor that can power an air sander get an air one. Less parts to clog up and go wrong.

Saying that though - I bought a B&Q "MacAllister" dual action variable speed orbital sander (velcro pads) from B&Q for my project and its been superb! Only cost £20. I just make sure I blow the dust out of it after finishing.

I've also got a standard sander (the rectangle ones) - its also good but has been going a bit wonky recently - it jams up - think theres too much dust clogging the motor...

Rich
25-10-09, 11:46 AM
Stick a hoover where the bag should go to catch the dust, pads last longer and doesnt clog up so easy

Jon_nova1
25-10-09, 11:50 AM
I think orbital is better

I have the same problem as Ade with the crappy rectangular one and it clogging up, to get it started you have to press the trigger and hit it lol

GRUNT 16V
25-10-09, 12:43 PM
Standard air fed DA (orbital) as for the rectangular i would only use this to take filler down

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/157775_lg.jpg
IF YOU WANT IT TO KEY UP THE PAINT WORK THEN I WOULD ALSO USE A 3M 50396 INTERFACE PAD
WITH 800 GRIT GOLD MIRKA ROYALS THEN FROM THERE GET SOME 1000 GRIT MIRKA ABRALON PADS
SHOULD GIVE A GOOD SMOOTH FINISH