PDA

View Full Version : Drive shaft popped out whilst towing ?????

supernovaxe
24-10-09, 10:12 PM
where do i start, ive bee building my nova over a period of 3 years so its not the most organised of builds, plus didnt know a thing about cars before i started the project, so its been a struggle. I have decided to start from fresh, im not happy with my first attempt, its a bit shabby, i got some decent parts so i figured i may as well do it proply, ( see my thread "nova rebuild, take 2")
anyway, i had to move the car from the garage it was in to the yard ive got to crack on with the project. i got the nova prepared for towing, it took a while as the only thing on the shell was the steering rack and i only had half a day to do it, i thought it was ok but unfortunately not.... i hooked the nova up to my van on an A frame and set off, all was well till we got about a mile to the yard, a nasty grinding noise was coming from the nove, we got it back and had a good look, it turns out i fekd up and previously hadn't fitted the offside cv boot that goes into the gearbox so the splines on the end of the cv where i asume grinding on the grooves in the gearbox ,if you know what i mean...
can anyone shed some light on my situation? it would be much appreciated :thumb:

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac223/supernovaxe/SDC11408.jpg

mowgli
24-10-09, 10:18 PM
what does the corresponding shaft end look like???? if the splines are ok, then just fitting a new cv joint should be ok..

GRUNT 16V
24-10-09, 10:24 PM
The Reason Why That Cv Popped Out Of The Gearbox Is Beacause Theres No Locking Ring In The Groove On The Right Hand Side Of The Pic Hope This Helps

supernovaxe
24-10-09, 11:06 PM
mowgli.. the cv goes into the gearbox (passenger side) so how can i check that? cheers, grunt... are the locking rings readily available? cheers

GRUNT 16V
24-10-09, 11:09 PM
they should come with the cv joint when purcahsed!! you might be able to buy them from a main dealer any big block inner cv joint snap ring should fit. When there fittid there should be a little resistance then they should snap in place
cheers grant

supernovaxe
24-10-09, 11:20 PM
do you know how i can check the splines inside the gearbox that the cv was grinding on, surely that will be damaged in the same way??? cheers

GRUNT 16V
24-10-09, 11:21 PM
http://www.chrisastleymotorsport.com/images/CV22.jpg
just found this pic as you can see there is a clip on the top which yours hasnt got cheers

GRUNT 16V
24-10-09, 11:22 PM
do you know how i can check the splines inside the gearbox that the cv was grinding on, surely that will be damaged in the same way??? cheers get the said joint and see if it still fits in there !! pretty simple ehh??
reppage please????:d :d

supernovaxe
24-10-09, 11:55 PM
if it doesn't??? cheers

GRUNT 16V
25-10-09, 09:08 AM
Should be fine bud try it and stop panicing

bmw156
25-10-09, 09:21 AM
lol, if it doesnt buy a new gearbox, they are pretty cheap. unless its an f28

supernovaxe
25-10-09, 07:13 PM
the cv's fekd, gota get a new one, asume the gearbox is aswell, how do i get this part out as it looks like it comes out? cheers

GRUNT 16V
25-10-09, 08:19 PM
How Do You Know Its Fecked??

supernovaxe
25-10-09, 08:41 PM
because the grinding noise must have been the splines grinding together , its the only thing that could have caused that damage, im gona get a new cv, see if it fits, if it does happy days if not im gona upgrade to quaife, will the cv from the other side fit so i can try it tomorrow?