PDA

View Full Version : not nova, saxo vtr knock ??

comptoncj
24-10-09, 03:50 PM
right, i put a gearbox in a friends saxo vtr and aparently ever since it has a knock when he accelerates/brakes hard and the engine is moving alot more than it did, ive looked at the mount under the battery tray and the one on the back of the engine, there is movement in both but i am not sure which one is making the engine move like it does, its most noticable when you have the handbrake on and select reverse and let the clutch up sharply it knocks really bad,

anyone come accross this before, im sure someone on here has

any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

~~joycey~~
24-10-09, 03:52 PM
Knocking = driveshaft

Engine movement = Any 3 of the mounts as they all go on them lol

craig green
24-10-09, 03:54 PM
Mounts, suspension anchor points, brake caliper????

What have you loosened/removed? - Tighten it all back up.

comptoncj
24-10-09, 03:55 PM
i have a hunch its the rear engine mount but i dont want to tell him its that untill im sure it is, that would be the one that makes the engine twist right? i had a similar problem on a 106 quiksilver but i dont wanna make him think its that if it isnt :S

craig green
24-10-09, 03:57 PM
i have a hunch its the rear engine mount but i dont want to tell him its that untill im sure it is, that would be the one that makes the engine twist right? i had a similar problem on a 106 quiksilver but i dont wanna make him think its that if it isnt :S

Guessing isnt going to help him, neither is keeping schtum. Either sort it for him or tell him what you think it might be....

comptoncj
24-10-09, 03:59 PM
yeah well i think the plan of attack is to take that mount off and check it for damage

L33 LEG
24-10-09, 04:56 PM
Just try tightening all the mounts up. i bought an sri a few years ago off a 'mechanic', he always said that the car had a knocking noise. i got the car and tightened the mount and it was fine after that.

if the engine wasnt moving though, i would of guessed it was the driveshaft.

Adam
24-10-09, 05:16 PM
A mates vts snapped one of the engine mounts in half.
Didnt really knock though, it just made the whole car shake/vibrate.....

Novaboi_1991
24-10-09, 05:23 PM
A mates vts snapped one of the engine mounts in half.
Didnt really knock though, it just made the whole car shake/vibrate.....

yeh, but if it is moving, and still has the mount attatched, where as your mates would shake the car, this one would knock against the mount on the car ? causing the knocking noises ?

Andy
24-10-09, 05:55 PM
My mates 106 (same mounts) did this before when i changed his clutch, i tested it round the block and it knocked.Up on the ramp again and i had left the rear box mount loose while on the phone lol Tightened up-WON
I would most certainly say rear mount.

comptoncj
24-10-09, 06:29 PM
just to report, he has fell out with me now over it because ive had the rear mount off to check if it was damaged put it back on and its stil making a knock then i had the car in the air with him in it and it sounds like its coming from the clutch because it only does it when he basically side steps the clutch from a stand still so i just said let it settle down for a couple of weeks and if it doesnt go away then i will look at it but he jus said that ive f**ked him about and he is taking it to another garage, i didnt want to fall out with him over it but ive done my best :S

Saloony
24-10-09, 06:50 PM
Well at least one thing, you dont have to worry about sorting it now lol

L33 LEG
24-10-09, 07:04 PM
lol that's nice of him. least you know not to help him out again!