PDA

View Full Version : Tax disk and postal strike.

Southie
23-10-09, 11:44 AM
My car tax runs out this month so I've payed online. I was concerned that I possibly wouldn't get it in time for the end of the month due to the recent stike, even though its only for a few day, but this is what was posted up once paid.

DVLA is closely monitoring the Postal Strike to make sure that it does all it can to minimise disruption to its customers. There's still plenty of time for your new tax disc to arrive by 1st class post before the end of the month. You can legally drive or keep your vehicle on the road while displaying your old tax disc for up to five working days, provided you have applied for a new disc before the old one expires.

Just thought it may help a few if you were wondering if able to drive your car still. :thumb:

Ben
23-10-09, 12:19 PM
they have changed that policy recently then!

Jack
23-10-09, 01:14 PM
Nope, thats always been the case.

Ben
23-10-09, 01:16 PM
Couple years ago my mrs's tax disc never arrived on time and when she called them they said if she used the car on the road she would be failing to display and liable for on the spot fine.

Jack
23-10-09, 01:21 PM
The wording of the law that covers VED states that if the secretary of state has received your application for a renewed license, you can drive the vehicle on the road without displaying. As we assume electronic communications to be instant (and you should get an emailed receipt confirming the application) you're good to drive without one.

Ben
23-10-09, 01:24 PM
but surely your failing to display, same thing as if you get your disc pinched, the sec of state has been paid but your still failing to display!

Andy
23-10-09, 01:25 PM
Thats true (Jack),my works van was pulled over and they said it was out of date i explained my boss does it online,they checked and let me go.

Jack
23-10-09, 01:31 PM
but surely your failing to display, same thing as if you get your disc pinched, the sec of state has been paid but your still failing to display!
If your disc gets pinched, thats replacement of license, not renewal. I don't recall the wording for replacements off the top of my head but the renewal one - i.e. the VED has expired and you're applied as per the usual course to renew it - allows you to drive with no disc. As for how long you could blag that, pass, but then if you had received the disc, surely you'd display it?

phazer
23-10-09, 08:56 PM
I assume they have clarified this as it was always an offence (in the eyes of the Police) not to display the disc/display correctly as Ben says, irrespective of whether you had renewed or not.

A curious situation existed where the Police would fine you for no tax disc but the DVLA wouldn't as they were happy you were actually taxed.

Jack
23-10-09, 09:00 PM
I assume they have clarified this as it was always an offence (in the eyes of the Police) not to display the disc/display correctly as Ben says, irrespective of whether you had renewed or not.
Not actually the case - the law has always been if the secretary of state has received your application to renew the VED, you may drive without displaying it whilst you wait for it to arrive. However, this was never really a contentious issue as everybody used to just do it in person at the post office (remember them?) and have the VED immediately, very few used to do it via the telephone/post.

Southie
23-10-09, 09:00 PM
The message I posted may only be in refference to the postal strike and NOT in reference to the norm. I suspect I should have disclaimered this. lol

phazer
23-10-09, 09:08 PM
Nah, the info was on end of September when I sorted the Astra's insurance. First time I've ever seen it so maybe they are just making sure people are aware. Clearly seems to be some confusion lol

Benn
23-10-09, 09:09 PM
"Failing to display" is a joke now, as everything is on computer. Its only there for a jumped up traffic warden to look at...

phazer
23-10-09, 09:31 PM
Not actually the case - the law has always been if the secretary of state has received your application to renew the VED, you may drive without displaying it whilst you wait for it to arrive. However, this was never really a contentious issue as everybody used to just do it in person at the post office (remember them?) and have the VED immediately, very few used to do it via the telephone/post.

Just done a bit of research, it appears that clarification was done only last year. Prior to this you could have tax on the way but still be fined/towed for no tax.

The Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 Section 33 was amended in the 2008 Finance Act to add in the 5 day grace period: http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?LegType=All+Legislation&title=finance+act&Year=2008&searchEnacted=0&extentMatchOnly=0&confersPower=0&blanketAmendment=0&sortAlpha=0&TYPE=QS&PageNumber=1&NavFrom=0&parentActiveTextDocId=3501587&ActiveTextDocId=3501794&filesize=5464

So there we go, learn something new everyday :)