PDA

View Full Version : Gran Torino

Tidy Max
22-10-09, 10:23 PM
a god damn,
what a film, Walt Kawalski being the coolest MF ever to grace the planet, he sure does know how to 'keep it real'

anyone else seen it?

my only regret being that he didnt bust a cap, but still epic film, got to wait for this years vengence film with no one other than Michael Cain

Rysee
22-10-09, 10:35 PM
Truely epic, in many ways he reminded me of my grandad... apart from the badassness

Tidy Max
22-10-09, 10:36 PM
lol yeah and the actual gran torino was illbeans too, at the beginning of the film i was hoping for a shot of clint eastwood doing a drive by in it, but by the end i realised the film was far more than that, no violence necessary the guy is just nails

Jack
22-10-09, 10:48 PM
Gran Torino is pretty much Clint being Clint, its nothing new if you've seen all the Dirty Harry and Spaghetti Westerns he's done. Which you have seen. Right?

thedjse
22-10-09, 10:51 PM
Tis a good film i enjoyed it

Rysee
23-10-09, 12:04 AM
Gran Torino is pretty much Clint being Clint, its nothing new if you've seen all the Dirty Harry and Spaghetti Westerns he's done. Which you have seen. Right?

Yeah awesome, spaghetti westerns were part of my GCSE English coursework else I would never have watched them to appreciate them.

Yeah Violence in the film was committed by the weak

L14MNP
23-10-09, 12:05 AM
Damn fish heads.

scott.parker
23-10-09, 12:21 AM
What you spooks on about!

Yep got it ages ago on "pre release" is one of the top 5 films of this year for me.

Scott

J4MES
23-10-09, 01:16 AM
Great film!!

Jack
23-10-09, 08:21 AM
"On the condition that you don't chop-top the roof like one of those beaners, don't paint any idiotic flames on it like some white trash hillbilly, and don't put a big, gay spoiler on the rear end like you see on all the other zipperheads' cars. It just looks like hell. If you can refrain from doing any of that... it's yours."

Genius lol

Rysee
23-10-09, 09:46 AM
"On the condition that you don't chop-top the roof like one of those beaners, don't paint any idiotic flames on it like some white trash hillbilly, and don't put a big, gay spoiler on the rear end like you see on all the other zipperheads' cars. It just looks like hell. If you can refrain from doing any of that... it's yours."

Genius lol

think i'll quote the line when i come to sell my nova to a local chav

Tidy Max
23-10-09, 10:00 AM
and don't eat the dog lol

Rysee
23-10-09, 10:07 AM
racist hilarity

Mike
23-10-09, 06:21 PM
Qaulity film :)

General Lee
23-10-09, 07:52 PM
Brilliant film, brilliant actor, lovely car.

Cle
23-10-09, 07:53 PM
Dont no how the films not been banned lol tbh i love it

Tidy Max
23-10-09, 08:22 PM
because i think that all though he is incredibly rasist i think it shows more that he is a product of his age, as it takes him about 5 minutes with the..asian family next door to bloody fall in love with them,

he does give his life or more impressively his car for those foreigners!

it would of been banned if he had uzi'd the family then uzi'd the street gangs lol

Richie_B
23-10-09, 08:24 PM
Is awesome. Some of the stuff Clint comes out with is serious lols

Jack
23-10-09, 08:53 PM
Its contextual, and not particularly malicious - its just the way he is. Note the other characters who are all about the same age all speak in a similar manner. If he was politically correct to everyone it would a) not be particularly accurate, b) undermine his character and c) undermine the whole film.

Also note that the people who know him just take it as it is, including the asians, and don't take offence to it. The only people who do seem ruffled by his use of language are, iirc, his family and the guys who were attempting to mug the girl and "token white guy" lol

Plus it raises laughs in places at just how archaic this old fart is, how he talks straight without worrying about if he's insulting people to their faces.

Tidy Max
23-10-09, 09:07 PM
i found the confession bit particularly funny,

"i want to confess i didnt pay a road tax in 1969, and that i didnt get to know my family together",

"what, thats it?"
"whadddya mean is that it, its haunted me all my life"

lol

LEWI007
23-10-09, 09:12 PM
Truely epic, in many ways he reminded me of my grandad... apart from the badassness

Our grandads must be alike, except i think mine has got the bad assness lol

Rysee
23-10-09, 09:55 PM

Yeah just how meticulous he is and all the tools and his working hard even though he doesn't really need to

Rysee
23-10-09, 09:57 PM
Oh and his unintentional racism haha, he doesn't mean any harm when he says "darkie" but my mum jumps down his throut

djshaggeh
23-10-09, 10:42 PM
Truely awesome film. One of my favourites of past few years tbh. I recommend 'Mischief Night', british film very much like the shameless series.