PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust poping

Alex
14-03-03, 11:38 AM
Whenever i accelerate hard and then take my foot from the accelerator (when changing gear for example) my car's exhaust pops. It sometimes comes from the middle of the car, and sometimes from the rear. Is this just unburnt fuel in the exhaust igniting? Is there a way to stop it. It never used to do this, and i have not changed anything on the car recently

(its a 1.2spi :( )

Cheers

Aragorn
14-03-03, 11:40 AM
check the lambda probe is working (any fault codes on ECU)

mine did that the other week just the once and i crapped it :D

ade
14-03-03, 01:18 PM
I was told that it was the by product of the engine idling eratically (and someone even said it was head gasket)

Mine does this but engines running a little rough at the mo (valves are sticking)

Ade

Alex
14-03-03, 05:15 PM
its got worse. It is now backfiring loudly. Any more suggestions?

whitey
14-03-03, 06:49 PM
Sure someone didnt slip a peco on whilst you wernt looking! LOL

jim sri
14-03-03, 10:42 PM
check for blowing exhaust.even a small hole did this on mine not long back

ade
16-03-03, 11:21 AM
hows the car running? is it rough, does it accelerate?

Wot about an air pocket or similar in the exhaust somewhere. Sucking in air and pops as it escapes (maybe?)

According to haynes a "backfire" is caused by carb adjustment being incorrect, ignition timing, intake manifold leak sticking valves.

Like I say, mine occasionally pops - nowt major but isnt a consistent "purr" like wot you get from an exhaust - my revs rise a bit and drop - but thats me valves...

Ade

bish
16-03-03, 11:31 AM
i had a sportex exhaust on my last 1.2 and it always backfired all the time,there wasnt anything wrong with it passed mot ok, emissions and stuff ok,i think most sportex exhausts do this not sure about other makes but most of them dont backfire

Chris LR
16-03-03, 05:35 PM
My SR did this, it even had a new backbox, but that didn't cure it.

Mine was a quiet popping and it sounded quite nice, then the Head Gasket went and it hasn't done it since :lol:

mikeoxford
16-03-03, 09:24 PM
ive had a pop previously......

werent nowt wrong with my car.

engine been rebulit so many times now though i dont know whats normal or whats not sposed to happen / make a noise!

novax
18-03-03, 11:54 PM
sound like your over-fueling to me. Dumping unburnt fuel into the exhaust, hense the popping