PDA

View Full Version : C16SE Bargain ?

LEWI007
20-10-09, 07:12 PM
I can buy a C16SE Nova GSi engine for 40 pounds with everything included but the bottom end is gone, and i dont know if the gearbox is included.

Is that worth it ? and how much would i be looking to replace a whole bottom end, if its everything that needs replacing.

craig green
20-10-09, 07:15 PM
£40 for a cyl head, cam carrier, inlet, loom & ECU is pretty good.

You could find another bottom end relatively cheap, but that might knock shortly after, but a rebuild is going to be a few hundred£££ if done properly with a re-bore, ground crank & rings & gaskets etc.

AlexW
20-10-09, 07:16 PM
Depends whats up with the bottom end. You can get a c16se bottom end from somthing like a mk3 astra.

That or a high comp 1400.

LEWI007
20-10-09, 07:20 PM
theres a mk3 astra in the scrapyard with a 1600 in it so i can get bits.

i only plan on buying the new parts and new gaskets,plugs, belts etc and cleaning everything.painting. not going as far as sending it away to be rebored and stuff.

how much would a new bottom end cost roughly then ?

craig green
20-10-09, 07:27 PM
If you can get a new bottom end it would be thousand(s). Likewise an off the shelf recon will be about a grand. I paid £1000 to have a full rebuild on my 1600 8v a few years ago. That incl removal & refitting.

The point I am making is that many a 2nd hand GTE engine has knocked & blown after being fitted. They are old now & mostly ragged & high mileage. You take the risk of fitting a cheap unknown bottom end & having to pull it all out & waste the costs of all the oil, gaskets, filters & time etc, only to rebuild it or buy another.

These are combustion engines we are talking about here, not LEGO.

LEWI007
20-10-09, 07:30 PM
i dont mean new as in brand new, i mean new as in just buying another one out of the scrapyard.

one in the yard was running perfectly.

craig green
20-10-09, 07:37 PM
No more than £50 IMO. Bear in mind you will be removing it for that price.

You could ask the scrapyard in question that have this 1.6 engine, as I would assume they will know how much its for sale for, rather than guessing randoms on here.

spanna
20-10-09, 07:38 PM
i have heard about that engine and its got a seized piston its only for the engine aswell no other parts with it i have been told

LEWI007
20-10-09, 07:39 PM
Its a lad around the corner with an immaculate original mk1 nova who is selling it, you cant possibly know him.

im going to look at the engine tomorow when he isnt busy, ill see what needs replacing then ask in scrappy how much those are going to be.

spanna
20-10-09, 07:41 PM
sorry different one then as there is one on ebay thats just round the corner from me with the same prob then

craig green
20-10-09, 07:42 PM
Seized piston = ruined block.

LEWI007
20-10-09, 07:46 PM
This one has supposedly fromn what i heard when i spoke to him about an hour ago, has a hole in it somewhere...

is it possible that this kind of damage could of lead to damaging the rest of the engine ?

AlexW
20-10-09, 07:47 PM
The head etc is prob fine, Unless the cambelt died and took out one or more of the valves.

craig green
20-10-09, 08:00 PM
if it chucked a rod, god knows. It may be alright.

Best to strip& inspect it before paying for it tbh.

LEWI007
20-10-09, 08:06 PM
Havent really got a clue what im doing with engines, was hoping to learn alot while rebuilding this one. my mate will be coming along with me though so we should be alright.