PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Boddies Ignition

projctnova
20-10-09, 11:22 AM
Hi there,

Im currently running my C20XE on throttle boddies but I am having a few issues. As I am using Megasquirt 1 it will not work with a Vauxhall crank sensor. As such I converted it to a 32-1 trigger wheel and used a ford sensor and ford EDIS unit. This had the car running fine but not im having problems timing it up properly.

Im looking in to easier options. I have heard you can use a 1.6 dizzy with vacuum advance and a 1.6 coil. Would this be simple enough to get the car running and timed? Is there any problems with doing this?

Thanks

Richard

craig green
20-10-09, 11:45 AM
The 1.6 dizzy will have a terrible advance curve & not be suited to the application. I dare say you would get better results by using the std SFi inlet & Motronic.

Have you used the MS forums & asked seasoned MS mappers & installers what is up with your setup?

projctnova
20-10-09, 12:01 PM
yea the problem comes that i need megasquirt 2 that can cope with the vauxhall crank sensor. Using my trigger wheel seems ok but the timing isses are awful and the sensor is on a home made bracket and at risk of moving once timed. I may sell my throttle body set up and look at other routes whilst putting it back standard for now until a time where i can look at carbs etc

so is the 1.6 just a way of getting it running on throttle boddies but without a gain in power?

craig green
20-10-09, 12:06 PM
Sounds like you need a tougher crank sensor bracket & a chat with someone who understands MS1.

As for the timing/ign. Unless it is mapped correctly to your setup, you wont get the full potential from your engine. I fear you dont understand the 'ins & outs' of engine tuning which is a little worrying that you have fitted TB's.

I'm not sure why you would want to step back to carburretor's either. They are worse than TB's.

projctnova
20-10-09, 12:43 PM
sorry, my mate is the one building the car and he has done engine tuning. Im learning that is why i ask so many questions.

To be honest it hink i might put the car back to standard as im running exhaust and filter etc so it will be fast enough and ill look in to other options in the future.

Thanks for your help Craig

craig green
20-10-09, 01:19 PM
The std SFi injection is very good. There isnt a lot of power to be gained on it, but unless you can add lairy cams, pocketed piston & TB's or carbs. It's best left alone.

A courtenay Grp-N chip & performance exhaust system + maybe a better manifold is all you need tbh.

projctnova
20-10-09, 01:29 PM
cool well i already have a 4 branch and 2.5" system on it.

Ill sell my TB set up and buy the bits i need.

Cheers mate, much appreciated

Dinoman
22-10-09, 12:10 PM
yea the problem comes that i need megasquirt 2 that can cope with the vauxhall crank sensor. Using my trigger wheel seems ok but the timing isses are awful and the sensor is on a home made bracket and at risk of moving once timed. I may sell my throttle body set up and look at other routes whilst putting it back standard for now until a time where i can look at carbs etc

so is the 1.6 just a way of getting it running on throttle boddies but without a gain in power?
Hi you do not need MS2 ? I do not know who told you that as MS1 Extra code is fine and will read you OE 60-2 trigger wheel and VR sensor no problem as far as I can tell your static timing is out because you have not turned anti-clockwise the small Pot on the bottom of the board, I have the exact same Engine 20 XE red top which I use as my testbed for Testing my Megasquirts which I build and sell on ebay, so give me a ring 01206 251475 if you want and I will talk you through it, also check out my Threads on the MS1 Extra Forums my username is Reamon308, Regards Eddie Walsh