PDA

View Full Version : C20XE bottom end rattle.

Damo
19-10-09, 12:46 PM
Pretty random thread really but my mates just knocked the shells out of his xe racing a clio sport :cuckoo: but i think it has been starved of oil due to the pickup pipe being blocked do you need arp bolts to make the bottom ends last or are the standard bolts good enough because im getting the engine off him but im gonna put a new crank into it with some new shells just wondered what others thought.:thumb:

bmw156
19-10-09, 01:28 PM
for the money, you might as well go for ARP bolts for peace of mind

you have to countersink the bigends i think to accecpt the bolt, but thats all i know about it lol

Stoo
19-10-09, 01:30 PM
ARP Rod bolts wont stop a bottom end from knocking

craig green
19-10-09, 01:48 PM
/\ Thats right. ARP's are only necessary if the engine is revving higher due to a chip or TB's etc. GM designed all the components beyond what the factory ECU & abuse will allow, so tbh on a ropey old XE, ARP's are a waste of funds tbh esp if not fitted correctly (countersinking the rod caps) which will cause a bolt failure.

Just bosh in another cheap, bottom end IMO.

Damo
19-10-09, 02:44 PM
yea agreed craig i can get another crank anyway.

craig green
19-10-09, 02:48 PM
yea agreed craig i can get another crank anyway.

I'd be inclined to get hold of another cheap XE, replace the head with yours & use a new cambelt, tensioner & water pump etc & bosh it in.

Even rebuilt with a new crank, bearings, honed & new rings etc. Its not cost effective & will far outcost what an XE is worth IMO. (seeing as they are cheap as chips) ebay auctions aside.

philip
19-10-09, 03:01 PM
depends how long your going to keep the motor, if keeping for a while then id rebuild, otherwise pick a cheap runner up.