PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak

pob
19-10-09, 12:35 PM
I'm running a c16se/f13gearbox in a mini so the following is a complete engine out job and not the 2 hours that it is in Vauxhall.

Because the mini only runs 12" wheels the whole engine gearbox was lifted out and the diff was changed to a 3.74.

But after this a really bad oil leak developed, it appears to be coming from the gearbox into the bell housing.

The gearbox is 15yo and I assumed that as the oil seal was old it had maybe been knocked when putting the gear cluster back in.

But when I got it apart there isn't an oil seal, but a roller bearing with no seal between the gear cluster and the bearing face.

Is a new bearing the answer, but I cant see how a bearing would be knocked sufficiently to create such a bad leak or is there something between the roller bearing thats maybe been omitted when I've put it back together.

Jon_nova1
19-10-09, 12:39 PM
are you sure its gearbox fluid and not engine oil coming out of the rear crank seal?

pob
19-10-09, 12:54 PM
There's no oil on the back of the flywheel between the flywheel and the engine.
When I changed the diff I put new gearbox oil in, but not new engine oil.
I took the inspection cover off the bottom of the bellhousing and it was clean new oil forming a drip on the thrust bearing.