PDA

View Full Version : fitting new shocks and springs

Morton
18-10-09, 05:56 PM
im goin to fit new shocks and springs probly bilstein or sumthing to my mk1 88 nova 1.2
is ther any guides??#
is it hard ??

vaughanmc
18-10-09, 06:01 PM
Not hard at all mate, the back end is a straight swap of parts but the front you might need spring compressors if the Billie's aren't already built up

Morton
18-10-09, 06:04 PM
built up?? wat do you mean ?

vaughanmc
18-10-09, 06:07 PM
Your front suspension will either come as one unit; The spring and shock all built up ready to go

Or you'll get it as a separate spring and shock that needs to be put together before going on the car...

Morton
18-10-09, 06:09 PM
if its not built up what needs to be done is it hard can i go wrong ???

Jon_nova1
18-10-09, 06:09 PM
Its easy, should only take a couple of hours

Rears:

unbolt shock absorbers from in the boot, you may need to use 2 spanners, one to stop the damper from spinning, and another to unbolt.

jack rear of the car up, the springs will fall out.

unbolt shock absorbers from the rear beam, you only need to unbolt it from the inside, as the outside nut is fixed.

do the opposite to fit new ones

Fronts:

Undo the two nuts on one strut top from under the bonnet, jack the car up (you'll have to lift it quite high) take the wheel off, undo the 2 nuts and bolts holding the suspension to the hub, the old suspension will come out, then do the opposite to refit.

you can always jack the car up then undo the strut top bolts, but make sure you have something supporting the hub so it doesn't fall.

if your getting springs and shocks, you may need a spring compressor, depending on what kit you use

vaughanmc
18-10-09, 06:10 PM
You need spring compressors for a start to put it together - It's common sense really take your time with it

There might be instructions with them if there new - Have a look at what's on your car already and it will be clear :)

Jon_nova1
18-10-09, 06:14 PM
It depends what kit you get, when i did -60MM i could just get the springs on without a compressor, if you need to use compressors...be careful, and try to get the locking ones.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht224-3piece-coil-spring-compressor

I remember when we used the cheapest ones we could find when doing another setup, it was scary, came with 2 compressors and gave the feeling the spring was going to make an ugly sight at any moment lol

Morton
18-10-09, 06:14 PM
ok think i understand basically what i thought .. if i do as you say thers no chance off me uppsetting the tracking of the car or anything
??

Jon_nova1
18-10-09, 06:15 PM
changing to height will affect camber on the front, you should get it redone after fitting the kit

Iain
18-10-09, 06:17 PM
^ There's no way of resetting camber on the front though?

I found changing the front topmount was the hardest part when I first attempted the job. The top nut can be quite tight.

Morton
18-10-09, 06:18 PM
im lowering it 40mm if that helps ?

Jon_nova1
18-10-09, 06:26 PM
you'll need a strong friend lol

theres always ways to set the camber, easiest way is to make the bottom hole in the suspension oval instead of round, its only worth doing if you find yourself getting bald inner tyres though lol

auzzy-b
18-10-09, 06:30 PM
If you dont have some spring clamps just use some rachet straps, i have before and they are actually very safe because they have more grip:thumb:
the rest is easy peesy:)

Morton
18-10-09, 06:37 PM
hope to fk i dnt need to change camber !!!and hope the tracking doesnt get messed up :L might put 60mm springs on just to make it easier :L:L

that farmer
18-10-09, 06:55 PM
i remember a few year's ago changing a set of springs on my old xr3i i used big fat zit tie's as spring compressors lol it worked fine i was very careful my head was'nt in the way tho.

mowgli
18-10-09, 07:00 PM
^ There's no way of resetting camber on the front though?
yes there is, look in chapter 13 of haynes.... its there

I found changing the front topmount was the hardest part when I first attempted the job. The top nut can be quite tight.

agreed, windy gun or 2 ring spanners & swearing