PDA

View Full Version : Would i be an idiot to Refuse this !?

Nick
18-10-09, 02:40 PM
My Parents have offered me a Citroen Xsara '04 for free...

This was surplus stock as the C4's were taking over, so it's got quite alot of extra kit in it. Now it's surplus to my mum as she's getting a lease car . Only issue is that this Xsara has 96k on the clocks, as my mum is a district nurse.

So far i've been rocking around in my low Mileage XR2 for the last 4 years, and i've also got the oppertunity to store it somewhere... It needs an Arch replacing (Seriously, if you think novas are bad... ) . I love driving it, but i know it deserves to have some rest and for me to repair the arch with Gen Panels...

So, a 96k 5 year old Citroen... More hassle than it's worth !?

Markd89
18-10-09, 02:40 PM
for free i wouldnt complain

mowgli
18-10-09, 02:42 PM
and you need to ask people?????? you need your head bumps feeling.... of course its a good deal.. try to get her to fill the tank first though

Nick
18-10-09, 02:43 PM
It'd be free. But it'd also be my problem once things go wrong...

At least i wouldn't have to worry about corrosion / Rot . Just more along the lines of susp/engine parts

Angus Closier
18-10-09, 02:43 PM
To be honest if your getting it for free then go for it! even if you have to spend a little on it, gives you a car to use and your xr2 will get the brake/fix it deserves! If I where you then id get on and use the free car untill the xr2 is ready again! then.....you always have another car to sell at the end of it!

Nick
18-10-09, 02:49 PM
Hmm yeah... I think the only things holding me back are;

a - i'm viewing it like a ticking time bomb. Citroen + 96k + No problems as of yet

b - It's a 5 door family car

c - I like my ford

dannyb
18-10-09, 02:49 PM
Put the XR on a classic low-mileage policy and possibly SORN it to save you some quids then go ahead with the Xsara. It is unlikely to go wrong and if it does, then just pay for it like you would when any other car goes wrong, except the bits for it will not be NLA and will be easier to get hold of!! Just make sure the Xsara doesn't end up owing you too much.

dannyb
18-10-09, 02:52 PM
Hmm yeah... I think the only things holding me back are;

a - i'm viewing it like a ticking time bomb. Citroen + 96k + No problems as of yet

b - It's a 5 door family car

c - I like my ford

a - may end up being a few smaller bills before you sell it on (free money)

b - girls love a man who looks like he's expecting to have babies sometime soon (they think it equals responsibility and the possiblity of a wedding/babies)

c - it's ok to still love your Ford, the XR won't mind that your playing away...In fact, it will spur you on to get cracking to make the XR even nicer!!

Ben
18-10-09, 02:52 PM
The xsara's are not very problematic and very cheap to fix tbh.

Rexy
18-10-09, 03:13 PM
:thumb: xsaras Kick ass :D

Lauren
18-10-09, 03:34 PM
Why can't you just sell it if you aren't sure? There's not much point turning down a free car.

paul james
18-10-09, 03:36 PM
With winter now pretty much here, the councils will no doubt be coating the roads in a thick layer of car eating salt everyday. Nows the perfect time to take your older loved car off the road, and let some modern bland car take the punishments of the UK weather.

AlexW
18-10-09, 04:25 PM
The xsara's are not very problematic and very cheap to fix tbh.

+1, Any of the ones ive known havnt needed much. Heater matrix (Hardest thinng i think), bushs and the general wear and tear of tyres and services etc.

General Baxter
18-10-09, 04:27 PM
if you dont want it, ill have it lol

John
18-10-09, 04:38 PM
Yes Nick, you would be an idiot to refuse it! Loads of cheap parts about and very little to go wrong!

Nick
18-10-09, 05:13 PM
Sweet ! I don't know much about them, so that's made my mind up !

Family car FTW . Are they seriously that reliable !? This is a Phase 2 i.e the nice looking front.

Nick
18-10-09, 05:15 PM
Why can't you just sell it if you aren't sure? There's not much point turning down a free car.

Well, it is my mums. After raising me and putting me through university, i really am not in the position to say yes and then sell it; in my eyes that'd make me a complete ****.

Spudly
18-10-09, 05:20 PM
With winter now pretty much here, the councils will no doubt be coating the roads in a thick layer of car eating salt everyday. Nows the perfect time to take your older loved car off the road, and let some modern bland car take the punishments of the UK weather.

Listen to this man^^^^^^ Let a french POS rot over winter rather than a rare old skool cool car (have another green blob btw dude:thumb:)

Get it and even if you have to spend £100 on it, its an 04 plate family car which should do a couple of £k all day long for £100, no brainer really :p

Nick
18-10-09, 05:24 PM
Oh yeah, i'm a student BTW . So having to replace something pricey scares me as i don't have lump sums of money...

AlexW
18-10-09, 05:27 PM
The most expensive thing is prob the engine, which are the same as pugs and the like.

Spudly
18-10-09, 05:32 PM
Has it been looked after, regularly serviced and the like, im guessing it wont have any stupid ghey keycard thingymybobbins like renaults do so theres nothing to go wrong there, if its been looked after and you dont kick its head in everywhere, especially from cold then you shouldnt have any bother with it tbh!

twistysnovagte
18-10-09, 05:33 PM
imo take the car(its free)as paul says it will also be ideal to keep your xr2 of the road for the salty months ahead,and a ideal runnaround at that.
if i was to be given a free 04 plate car, i wouldnt be asking on a forum weather i should take it or not!
give the car a good servicing(if its not already had one,any service history with it???)
you shouldnt go far wrong with the car so run it as said fopr the colder months and if you dont like it,then sell it on, buy a cheaper runnaround and spend the rest on your xr2, sorted.

Nick
18-10-09, 05:35 PM
Well it has the FSH untill warrenty was over, then it's been serviced now and again since then.

It's got a Leak when using the air con, which seems to result in the header tank loosing most of it's water. But i'l probs have a look at that before it changes hands.Apart from that... it's all ok . I've had it down to spain and back and it was fine ! The only time it goes over 3,000 Rpm is when i drive it...

twistysnovagte
18-10-09, 05:37 PM
take the car youd be a fool(sorry IDIOT) not too!!!
if you dont then second dibs to baxterlol

Nick
18-10-09, 05:43 PM
Yeah.. it's a bit different when it's your families car. If i say no, they get some cash. Both me and her think that it'd be better to sell if it's going to start going wrong !

Fingers crossed though, I'l investigate this Air Con problem and then take it i think

Mattig Nic
18-10-09, 07:12 PM
Would i be an idiot to Refuse this !?

.......no.......but you're an idiot for asking this!!! :roll:

Spudly
18-10-09, 07:27 PM
Err if it looses coolant when using the aircon, dont use it, aircon is for gheys anyway, real men drive fast with the windows down lol

Besides, which puddin uses aircon in winter anyways?

Nick
18-10-09, 08:31 PM
Err if it looses coolant when using the aircon, dont use it, aircon is for gheys anyway, real men drive fast with the windows down lol

That's been the fix for a few months now. I've never owned a car with Air-Con, so i will probably want to rape it for the novelty factor :thumb:

Welsh Dan
18-10-09, 10:56 PM

I do, I like the dehumidifying effect :p.

Nick
18-10-09, 11:40 PM
Air con makes my eye balls dry !

jimbob-mcgrew
18-10-09, 11:47 PM
roll in the free citroen while the xr2 gets its treatment (gotta keep that thing going, there quality cars, getting prety damn rare now) :thumb: