PDA

View Full Version : engine condition when new

dtm
13-03-03, 10:49 AM
lads i have a 1 litre (1991) and i woz wonderin when they were new did they need a bit of 'warmin up' before drivin on a cold morning? i would love to just start the bugger and drive off without having it 'jumping'.

if not how do i get my engine back to that condition? i love the way you can start a new/few year old car n just drive smoothly, but i just love the look of the novas!

Cheers lads

mikeoxford
13-03-03, 11:00 AM
my old 1.2 and 1.4 you need to keep alive, just for few seconds.

think its just the way it is mate

its only ther weather, once the summers here itll be sweet

Nova-Boy
13-03-03, 11:20 AM
It might have something to do with the manual choke. New cars are automatic and adjust themselves.

When you first start it up with the choke fully out give it a rev and slowly push the choke in utill it revs smoothly. That way you get the right fueling.

ade
13-03-03, 12:35 PM
lol - my old 1.2 and newer 1.4 engines are both crap at 1st starts in the morning.

Both used to start 1st time, idle for a bit then start to judder, cough splutter - had to manually adjust choke coz if it was too far out the engine would be ok but you couldnt pull away coz it would stall! Had to push choke in a bit until the car stopped jumping but when you came to a set of lights or to slow down to tuen out the top of the street used to stall!

Pain in the arse - mainly colder mornings.

I ds however sind that poarking on a slope or slight incline with the bonnet facing down helped. Dunno why.

I've started to just to sit for a minute or two with choke out until engine levels off - gives me time to stick my head unit and wake up to smooth grooves.

Youre gonna have to bear with it m8. Your car could need tuning/timing etc. Just a thought. How does it run when its up to opperating temp?

Ade

mikeoxford
13-03-03, 12:43 PM
all new cars have an ECU of some description to adjust fuelling and air

purely and simply older cars dont

so arent intelligent enough o keep themesleves "alive"

dtm
13-03-03, 04:06 PM
thanks lads i never thought about automatic chokes or ecu s.

when the car is running at its normal temp it runs a treat its a very reliable car it never gave me one ounce of trouble (have had it for two years) but i just thought i might be able to make it run more smoothly in the mornings/cold weather. i might put a newer engine in her soon it would be well worth it.

ah well maybe the fact that these hatches look the pods will make up for it!!

cheers :wink:

mikeoxford
13-03-03, 09:12 PM
thanks lads i never thought about automatic chokes or ecu s.

thats all it is really

because in effect when your keeping it alive by blipping throttle or holding it open a little, thats what an ecu does............

measures if its gona stall by sensors and sh!t then adjusts accordingly

Fester
14-03-03, 02:12 AM
SR used to be a pain, the GTE now its put foot on pedal, turn key, starts within a split second, job done sort itself :)

burgessovsalford
14-03-03, 09:39 AM
Get the car fully serviced. new plugs, oil, etc etc... this may not get rid it but will certainly improve the morning starts, & the judders.

mikeoxford
14-03-03, 12:10 PM
on the 1 litre check the breaker points also