PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions on a few things.

NathanPrince
17-10-09, 09:44 PM
Hi, im new around here, and to the world of Novas tbh. Im 16 and have just been handed my first Nova as a project (WIP thread soon) and just wanna know what you think of a few things I wanted to do:

Twin DTM styled exhausts???
Badboy bonnets/quad conversions
Kits other than GSI/GTE/SR etc

Just a few cosmetic things as engine will be staying standard for insurance reasons, interior will pretty much be standard (SR interior) so its just the shell of the car really undergoing a few adjustments.

NovaBoi92
17-10-09, 09:47 PM
nobody on here really likes body kits lol id just go for the gsi/gte bumpers if you want to change them. twin dtm exhaust, do it if you want. dont let other people style your car, but me and probably the majority of people on here like standard sort of look :thumb:

rwaggers
17-10-09, 09:49 PM
standard'ish look FTW:thumb:

NovaBoi92
17-10-09, 09:50 PM
standard'ish look FTW:thumb:

well said :) have a look all through this site - projects, features etc.. and get an idea of what other's novas look like to get inspiration. but please try to avoid the body kitted big exhaust type lol

NathanPrince
17-10-09, 09:52 PM
I want to keep it original as possible but unique, looked through a few threads and noticed the whole standard thing going on but i like to be different in everything I do. At the moment the car (ive been told) has been lowered 30mil? didnt say front or back or w/e just that its lowered 30mil. It came with GTE bumpers but theres been some filling done to the back to take the ridges out. and the GSI skirts were stolen but replaced with Abyss skirts.

burgo
17-10-09, 09:53 PM
Hi, im new around here, and to the world of Novas tbh. Im 16 and have just been handed my first Nova as a project (WIP thread soon) and just wanna know what you think of a few things I wanted to do:

Twin DTM styled exhausts???
Badboy bonnets/quad conversions
Kits other than GSI/GTE/SR etc

Just a few cosmetic things as engine will be staying standard for insurance reasons, interior will pretty much be standard (SR interior) so its just the shell of the car really undergoing a few adjustments.awwww bless he hasnt grown up yet and realised fibreglass tat looks pap.

id recommend you put down max power and fast car and pick up total vauxhall and ppc

NovaBoi92
17-10-09, 09:54 PM
I want to keep it original as possible but unique, looked through a few threads and noticed the whole standard thing going on but i like to be different in everything I do. At the moment the car (ive been told) has been lowered 30mil? didnt say front or back or w/e just that its lowered 30mil. It came with GTE bumpers but theres been some filling done to the back to take the ridges out. and the GSI skirts were stolen but replaced with Abyss skirts.

rip of those skirts and get some gte ones back on! lol as for wanting to be different, there's a few things you could do. depends how good you are with a grinder and welder lol nova estate ftw! :d ive not seen another nova which looks like mine, ive had mine resprayed black with all gsi bumpers/skirts, tinted windows and clear lights, and a png sticker on the window :)

Andy
17-10-09, 09:55 PM
These threads wind me up.I appreciate you want some ideas but why not just build whatever your happy with? So what if nobody likes what you have done?
You should build something that NathanPrince likes and enjoys,not what PNG advised....

NathanPrince
17-10-09, 09:57 PM
Never welded in my life tbh, not saying this is what im doing for definate as ive already got the feeling of dislike towards the first post *cough* burgo *cough* but work wont be starting yet properly as I havent got enough funds to do something productive to it. But on the list is getting all the bodywork sorted because its a reasonably healthy, strong shell, then a respray, alloys etc. Just wanted opinions... not slatings

nov4801
17-10-09, 09:58 PM
These threads wind me up.I appreciate you want some ideas but why not just build whatever your happy with? So what if nobody likes what you have done?
You should build something that NathanPrince likes and enjoys,not what PNG advised....

:thumb:

burgo
17-10-09, 09:59 PM
rip of those skirts and get some gte ones back on! lol as for wanting to be different, there's a few things you could do. depends how good you are with a grinder and welder lol nova estate ftw! :d ive not seen another nova which looks like mine, ive had mine resprayed black with all gsi bumpers/skirts, tinted windows and clear lights, and a png sticker on the window :)doing a nova estate would hardly be unique now would it lol

NovaBoi92
17-10-09, 10:00 PM
Never welded in my life tbh, not saying this is what im doing for definate as ive already got the feeling of dislike towards the first post *cough* burgo *cough* but work wont be starting yet properly as I havent got enough funds to do something productive to it. But on the list is getting all the bodywork sorted because its a reasonably healthy, strong shell, then a respray, alloys etc. Just wanted opinions... not slatings

ignore burgo he hates everyone lol (was joking about the grinding and welding bit Lol) but as andy said just build what you want. most people's opinions will be standard and not bodykitted, but if you dont like that then its ok :)

NathanPrince
17-10-09, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the advise, wasn't intended as a wind up just wanted to see what you guys think as I have seen some pretty sweet jobs done on peoples Novas and just want mine as good as.

mowgli
17-10-09, 10:02 PM
nathan, welcome to png.

don't annoy burgo, he has got the most radically body modifyed nova in britain...

the current trend is to get as far away from grp bodykits as possible, due to the fact that they are really heavy & usually badly made & actually slow your car down whilst making passers by think you are a chav scum drug dealer..

make the car safe & legal & learn to weld, or find someone who can & build it up how you want... but remember, insurers actually charge more for body mods than engine mods.....

NathanPrince
17-10-09, 10:04 PM
nathan, welcome to png.

don't annoy burgo, he has got the most radically body modifyed nova in britain...

the current trend is to get as far away from grp bodykits as possible, due to the fact that they are really heavy & usually badly made & actually slow your car down whilst making passers by think you are a chav scum drug dealer..

make the car safe & legal & learn to weld, or find someone who can & build it up how you want... but remember, insurers actually charge more for body mods than engine mods.....

Thanks for the welcome, think im gonna try and get a hold of some GTE skirts to match my bumpers but dont know what to do with the filled back bumper? Looks ok atm but dont know how its going to look when painted.

mowgli
17-10-09, 10:08 PM
smoothed out gte bumpers usually look pretty good.

stick an ad in the parts wanted section for skirts, they pop up regularly.

seriously, do your own thing, you are the one who will live with it.

dave.gsi
17-10-09, 10:11 PM
stick the biggest bodykit you can find on it, 19inch chrome spinners and 4 exhausts, then paint it lime green pearl.

at least then when you wrap it round a tree no-one on here will actually give a sh!t......

if you built a nice car (which you won't) and crashed it (like you will) people would be upset another nova goes to the scrapheap, but if you ruin a crap car we can all point and laugh :thumb:

NathanPrince
17-10-09, 10:11 PM
smoothed out gte bumpers usually look pretty good.

stick an ad in the parts wanted section for skirts, they pop up regularly.

seriously, do your own thing, you are the one who will live with it.

Great thanks, might make a start on the front then too. The real work should be starting soon as im hoping to get my engine recond'ed, and as I learn things in college im hoping to put it to use on the Nova to gain a better knowledge of the cars. All gonna be stripped properly and lots of photos taken for a WIP thread but a tight budget so work may be painfully slow. Heck! I got til March so... meh.

NovaBoi92
17-10-09, 10:15 PM
just a little help, here's an example of a poo car (but has a good engine lol) been a few threads on here about how poo it is

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-NOVA-TURBO-C20LET-95-complete-15K-SPENT_W0QQitemZ180420683820QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAuto mobiles_UK?hash=item2a01e9282c#ht_2857wt_1165

NathanPrince
17-10-09, 10:17 PM
just a little help, here's an example of a poo car (but has a good engine lol) been a few threads on here about how poo it is

Now that is ****e. Wouldn't be doing ANYTHING like that. Plans are probably finish the bumpers off to a decent standard. Set of GTE skirts. Lowered properly, nice set of alloys and a respray.

Sound a bit better for all you haters?

LEWI007
17-10-09, 10:17 PM
stick the biggest bodykit you can find on it, 19inch chrome spinners and 4 exhausts, then paint it lime green pearl.

at least then when you wrap it round a tree no-one on here will actually give a sh!t......

if you built a nice car (which you won't) and crashed it (like you will) people would be upset another nova goes to the scrapheap, but if you ruin a crap car we can all point and laugh :thumb:

Lol your exactly right i reckon lol

Look kid, if your gonna bodykit it then make it a bloody good bodykit like the following.

Mattig
http://www.motor-talk.de/attachment/198566/corsa%20klein.jpg

You will propably never find one of these bodykits though.

Rich
18-10-09, 12:25 AM
smooth the front gte bumper to match the back one, dont have to have sideskirts on it just because it used to have them. In some/most cases less is more, but whatever you like is what you should do.

wwmnw
18-10-09, 01:31 AM
Putting a body kit on will only increase your insurance anyway, I'd leave the body alone and just fit some decent suspension and wheels then wait til you can afford a bigger engine. And body kits really are out of date now ESPECIALLY quad light conversions, they make baby jesus throw up.

NathanPrince
18-10-09, 11:09 AM
Finally some constructive comments. Thanks guys and it's going to be a gte rep. Work starts soon so keep an eye out for wip thread.

robertdevlin69
18-10-09, 12:57 PM

here here:thumb:

Gibbo
18-10-09, 01:12 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-NOVA-TURBO-C20LET-95-complete-15K-SPENT_W0QQitemZ180420683820QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAuto mobiles_UK?hash=item2a01e9282c#ht_2857wt_1165
with out the body kit and the evo vent on the roof that would be a nice car somethink very diffrent

Ben
18-10-09, 01:14 PM
God people he is 16 and new to the scene as he stated, he is a sixteen year old lad who has joined the site, introduced himself well, takes time and effort over his posts and is looking for some guidance and half of you talk to him like he is a piece of ****e you scrapped of your shoe.

People have short memories, half of you who are slating him have over modified novas in the past.

As a few have done do what the kid asked for and give him some guidance.

As said Nathan major bodykits etc will effect your insurance just as much if not more than engine modifications, just use the nova as a learning curve, i doubt you will keep it forever but they are a great cheap little car to practice on whilst your young.

Try to do as much as the work as possible yourself as this will keep the costs down and give you much needed experience, the good thing is with Nova's is that nigh on most things have been tried and tested and you can get good advice (usually) of people on here.

Ben
18-10-09, 01:16 PM
Also you will find the south west region is quite strong at the moment and have quite a few meets not to far from Bristol so join up and go to some of these and talk to people and see there cars for the best guidance.

Spudly
18-10-09, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the advise, wasn't intended as a wind up just wanted to see what you guys think as I have seen some pretty sweet jobs done on peoples Novas and just want mine as good as.

Dont worry lad, Andy wasnt saying your thread wound him up, its the fact that youre asking for advice and some see because youre a young un that youre going to charver it up and therefore just slate you, thats what winds him up.

If you want to do a bodykit thing then do it, its not to my taste at all but im not building the car, you are.

But the people who have mentioned the insurance side of things are very correct, you will have to tell your insurance otherwise it will be invalid and you might find the price hike afterwards makes your bodykitted pride and joy uninsurable, so you will need to sell it, but youve styled it to how you want and noone else is interested so youre stuck with it, this is only worst case scenario tbh, but remember also if you change the standard bumpers for GTE/GSi ones, they are also counted as a bodykit even though theyre standard fit on another model of nova.

Take my cav for example, it was a bog standard poverty spec TD, it now has the full GSi/Turbo kit, bumpers, side skirts, and door spats and rear spoiler, now this is all standard on a turbo or GSi but when i told my insurance company, they still listed it as a non-standard bodykit, simply because it wasnt fitted to my car from the factory, just a few more pointers for you bud as you sound like you want to do things the legal way:thumb:

Dan
18-10-09, 01:33 PM
welcome to the mad house, and ditto to what Ben said, summed it up spot on imo :thumb:

(also repped which is the first rep ever given by myself)

dan16v
18-10-09, 02:01 PM
Well said Ben!, talk about putting new members off, some of the comments are cringe worthy.
Nathan, agree with the gte/gsi route, as nova's dont seem to suit the rounded lines of most 'body kits' out there. Maybe just smooth out all the swage lines to be a little different?. But at the end of the day it's your car, so do what makes you happy and do it to a high/safe standard and all will be fine!.

NathanPrince
18-10-09, 02:14 PM
Thanks for your support guys it means a lot. I joined because I know you guys have more experience than some of the garages I know. I value your opinions as some day I do plan on attending meets. The car is as we speak undergoing bodywork changes (smooth gte bumpers, god my hands are sore) and I plan on buying a new set of gte skirts as mine were 5 finger discounted. Again thanks for the constructive comments an a wip thread will be up soon.

Ben
18-10-09, 02:48 PM
welcome to the mad house, and ditto to what Ben said, summed it up spot on imo :thumb:

(also repped which is the first rep ever given by myself)

i feel honoured!

Lynsey
18-10-09, 02:59 PM
Wecome to the site :thumb: Where abouts in Bristol are you?

Ben
18-10-09, 03:07 PM
Wecome to the site :thumb: Where abouts in Bristol are you?

Whereabouts are you too Lynz?

NathanPrince
18-10-09, 03:10 PM
I live in southmead :/

Lynsey
18-10-09, 03:14 PM
Willsbridge, near Longwell Green/ Warmley/ Hanham... On the Bath Road :thumb:

novalovingned
18-10-09, 03:15 PM
I bought my nova when i was 16 too mate, you will find that you will do some very horrible things to it in your youth. My poor little A reg had a gti-r bonnet scoop, cut springs, wood screws everywhere, bad boy bonnets etc etc ..........

But you live and learn. By the sounds of things you have your head screwed on so it "should" be an ok looking nova. But at the end of the day its your car you have to drive it, do what you want :thumb:

NathanPrince
18-10-09, 03:20 PM
Yeah I did have a few plans but lookig back I'm glad I didn't proceed with them tbh. I'm just going to gte it get some alloys and hopefully drop it a tad more with new dampers. All work is being done by me and my bro but haven't got the luxury of a unit/garage so could take a while as well as a budget as tight as a nun.

Ben
18-10-09, 03:29 PM
Willsbridge, near Longwell Green/ Warmley/ Hanham... On the Bath Road :thumb:

lol used to be one of my old hunting grounds as a young un.

my sister also lives round there.

Ben
18-10-09, 03:32 PM
I live in southmead :/

i live in brentry!

NathanPrince
18-10-09, 03:35 PM
i live in brentry!

Cool really?

I live right by where dunmail school used to be

Ennerdale road???? There.

L33 LEG
18-10-09, 03:36 PM
Style the car however you want to do. It's your car at the end of the day and if somebody doesnt like it then thats their problem :wtf:

Word of warning though, if and when you take those skirts off be prepared for the mess behind them (like i found out), and also, i had GSi bumpers with those same skirts and it didnt look too bad actually...

Look at other peoples cars, yes most of use prefer the more standard look but if you want to put a bodykit on with dtm exhaust, then go for it. but whatever you do, don't put a bonnet vent on your roof lol :cool:

Lynsey
18-10-09, 03:39 PM
I bought my nova when i was 16 too mate, you will find that you will do some very horrible things to it in your youth. My poor little A reg had a gti-r bonnet scoop, cut springs, wood screws everywhere, bad boy bonnets etc etc ..........

But you live and learn. By the sounds of things you have your head screwed on so it "should" be an ok looking nova. But at the end of the day its your car you have to drive it, do what you want :thumb:

I got my first Nova when I was 16 too. It's not an excuse for it to be ****e! :roll:

Ben
18-10-09, 03:56 PM
Cool really?

I live right by where dunmail school used to be

Ennerdale road???? There.

My mrs used to go to Dunmail school, i live down off charlton road by the chip shop and kebab shop etc, im not from round those parts though orignally come from Frampton Cotterell.

Not there very often though as live 80% of the year in belguim.

novalovingned
18-10-09, 03:58 PM
I got my first Nova when I was 16 too. It's not an excuse for it to be ****e! :roll:

Sounds like you want a medal lol not everyone is as perfect as you, i know i was'nt. Im making up for it now though. Its going to be a very very nice example when its done.

rwaggers
18-10-09, 04:02 PM
God people he is 16 and new to the scene as he stated, he is a sixteen year old lad who has joined the site, introduced himself well, takes time and effort over his posts and is looking for some guidance and half of you talk to him like he is a piece of ****e you scrapped of your shoe.

im only 15lol but i got my first nova when i was about 11lol.
im on my 3rd one allready. but then i do race them in a NO CONTACT sport (unless you go up north) . but mine is going on the road shortly after winning the britis championship in it :thumb: will be looking for some wheels soon and 60mm lowerspring for the back:d

NathanPrince
18-10-09, 04:37 PM
Well the back bumper is now silky smooth and front bumper has had its first skim of filler, ran out though unfortunately =/ keeping an eye on a few sets of GTE skirts so hopefully have the body finished and prepped for painting. WIP thread as soon as I can be bothered to take pictures. Gotta find my camera first saying that...

Ben
18-10-09, 04:38 PM
Will check with my mate he might have some skirts at his place

NathanPrince
18-10-09, 04:42 PM
Ok cheers bud. Nice and local too ;P 5minute walk, guess you mean Daves chinese take away right? That road.

Ben
18-10-09, 04:45 PM
yeah mate the man with the largest head on earth!

NathanPrince
18-10-09, 04:47 PM
It is right? Does he do the thing when he cooks your food then talks to you for 30 minutes then when he FINALLY hands the bag over its freezing cold? Or is that just me because I went to school with his nephew.

Ben
18-10-09, 04:48 PM
Nah he does that with me, always says were you been for so long knowing full well where i have been, he is a menace and his foods quite ****e normally go down stoke lane in westbury.

NathanPrince
18-10-09, 04:52 PM
Glad im not alone on that one then. So next on the list is...:

Buy more filler and finish smoothing my front bumper off
Get GTE skirts and fit them
Paint
Want a nice exhaust system
Alloys
Play about with the suspension

Not too much to do only thing is its going to have to take place on the driveway... fingers crossed.

twistysnovagte
18-10-09, 05:25 PM
good luck on your "project" lad.
have you got a wip thread up yet?
put some pics up of your motor and lets see its current condition?
you will surley get all the help you need of the lads from here.

GTE rep FTW;)

Andy

NathanPrince
18-10-09, 05:30 PM
Gotta dig out my camera first mate and at the moment the car isn't looking too pretty, turds i got it from have rattle canned green straight over the red??? Odd I know but once I can take pics I will and get my WIP thread up, cheers for all the help and support so far.

twistysnovagte
18-10-09, 06:02 PM
id make a start by stripping all the panels ie boot(tailgate),doors,wings,bonnet windows/trim out/off respectivly and start sanding them down ready for primer(that is if there in decent condition(free of rot/rust etc),then move onto the shell and begin to prep that fix(weld) all rust/dent issues then begin to sand it down.
also give the car a good going over underneath treat it with underseal/waxoil etc
preperation is everything,dont rush into it, take your time.
would be a great help if you know a friend or two who knows there game to help give you a lift:thumb:
forget about the suspension,wheels bumpers/skirts etc , just concentrate on giving the car itsself a good going over as i say,then you can go about reasembling the car back together suspension,bumper's etc:thumb:

just take your time to prep the car itself,they say time isnt everthing,but in this case IT IS!
in the meantime get some pics up of the car(borrow a cameralol)
then people can spot where and what needs to be done;)
good luck, look forward to seeing your project.

NathanPrince
18-10-09, 06:08 PM
Cheers for the advise mate will do soon as