Adam
17-10-09, 06:52 PM
The only difference youd notice is the price

dannyb
17-10-09, 06:59 PM
You were just booting it harder.

Mike
17-10-09, 07:01 PM
I noticed massivly when i used to have a T40'd SR TBH. Coming out of stafford services at 1am, was like fireworks going off behind me on over run lol

Jack
17-10-09, 07:03 PM
LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO etc at premium making a difference on a 1.0 pushrod!

burgo
17-10-09, 07:03 PM
i notice it with mine. its doesnt det on premium lol

novaload1992
17-10-09, 07:04 PM
what is the actual difference between premium and stardard unleaded? someone tell me, it become apparent my right foot was just heavier driving home

novaload1992
17-10-09, 07:05 PM
glad i've given you all a laugh anyways

wwmnw
17-10-09, 07:05 PM
I tried some V-Power in my 1.2 once, it made a big difference to the top speed, I couldn't ****ing get there lol.

wwmnw
17-10-09, 07:07 PM
what is the actual difference between premium and stardard unleaded? someone tell me, it become apparent my right foot was just heavier driving home

Something to do with the explosiveness of it.

Jack
17-10-09, 07:08 PM
Premium usually has a higher RON, as well as various extra additives to make it "better" for the engine. Unless its BP Ultimate or Shell VPower, its unlikely the fuel will be any better quality aside from the higher RON.

Higher RON = less resistant to pre detonation, so good if your timing is way advanced (burgo) or you run high compression/heat (turbo). If you're running a relatively standard engine, premium will be pants as usually higher RON = less calorific energy, so you'd probably end up losing power.

novaload1992
17-10-09, 07:10 PM
Premium usually has a higher RON, as well as various extra additives to make it "better" for the engine. Unless its BP Ultimate or Shell VPower, its unlikely the fuel will be any better quality aside from the higher RON.

Higher RON = less resistant to pre detonation, so good if your timing is way advanced (burgo) or you run high compression/heat (turbo). If you're running a relatively standard engine, premium will be pants as usually higher RON = less calorific energy, so you'd probably end up losing power.

your an encyclopedia of knowledge RJ :thumb:

novaload1992
17-10-09, 07:10 PM

your an encyclopedia of knowledge RJ :thumb:

Jack
17-10-09, 07:13 PM
I've done a bit of research into fuels to counter the LPG argument lol

Nick
17-10-09, 07:18 PM
On my 1600 T40 i was running lots advance , so it'd det with normal petrol...

Apart from that, the effects are psychological

grooge
17-10-09, 09:10 PM
my old man worked for bp at grangemouth up until last year and while there he was given company vehicles, mostly pickups L200, hilux etc but also small vans or cars sometimes. He racked up fairly large milages on all sorts of roads and all fuel was free. He was to work out the cost per mile using both regular or ultimate and in all cars he told me it worked out cheaper to run ultimate. only noticed a very slight power increase in one or two cars though.

Stuart
17-10-09, 09:28 PM
The only mild difference on mine is 20 miles extra on the tank.... big deal, not worth the extra monies imho.

And thats with a super wonderful "modern" ecu that can learn better etc.

MattBrown
17-10-09, 09:34 PM
The most powerful pump fuel is tesco 98octane!

Its fooking brill, use it for rallio, track days, bikes, etc!

Is something to do with the ratio of normal heptane, to hydro cepane!

It gets very complicated!

Adam
17-10-09, 09:37 PM
On a more modern engine with a knock sensor, you can take benefit of the extra ron if the ecu is "clever" enough to try advancing the time until it knocks, so you will see a slight difference.

General Baxter
17-10-09, 09:47 PM

iv seen 102 ;)

Stuart
17-10-09, 09:49 PM

Its fooking brill, use it for rallio, track days, bikes, etc!

Is something to do with the ratio of normal heptane, to hydro cepane!

It gets very complicated!

technically its got the least "power" in terms of calorific energy ;)

burgo
17-10-09, 09:50 PM
iv seen 102 ;)at silverstone :P ive seen the price for it aswell lol

General Baxter
17-10-09, 09:52 PM
im sure tescos do it lol

burgo
17-10-09, 09:54 PM
its only a BP thing

mowgli
17-10-09, 09:56 PM
saloon racers used to import 105 leaded from germany back in the good old days

Steve
17-10-09, 10:57 PM
I used v-power on my old 1600 and it did feel a tiny bit better.

My micra runs miles better on super unleaded though, regular petrol makes it pink really bad and doesnt pick up at all cleanly. With super its pulls alot smoother. Pretty good going for a 1984 car, its even got 'super 97' behind the fuel flap, most novas back then would have come from the factory running on leaded fuel lol

Jack
17-10-09, 11:50 PM
Tesco don't do 98 Octane; either 97 (their regular SUL) or, in some stations 99 SUL.

BP do a special 102 blend which is available at a few pumps although I've heard rumours they on;y let you buy a certain amount at a time lol

"normal" SUL in JDM land is something like 102-105 RON iirc lol

[edit] As said, unless your engine is tuned/advanced/whatever to make use of of the higher octane, it won't make a blind bit of difference (any improved driving you think you're getting is a placebo) - as Stu said, the fuel contains less energy.

General Baxter
17-10-09, 11:53 PM
10. How much will BP Ultimate 102 Unleaded cost?
£2.89 ppl

All Saints Self Serve
Commercial Road, Portsmouth, PO1 4BU

Tudor Filling Station
London Road, Allington, Kent, ME160HE

Newham Way,
Canning Town, London, E16 1QX

Newbury Centre Filling Station,
758 Eastern Avenue, Newbury Park, Ilford, Essex, IG27HU

Wavendon Gate Connect,
Newport Road, Wavendon, Milton Keynes, MK77AG

Chichley Park Connect,
Tickford Street, Newport Pagnell, Bucks, MK16 9BD

mowgli
17-10-09, 11:54 PM
I used v-power on my old 1600 and it did feel a tiny bit better.

My micra runs miles better on super unleaded though, regular petrol makes it pink really bad and doesnt pick up at all cleanly. With super its pulls alot smoother. Pretty good going for a 1984 car, its even got 'super 97' behind the fuel flap, most novas back then would have come from the factory running on leaded fuel lol

all ohc novas could run on u/l, but back in around 86/87, i regularly had rows with garage staff about putting u/l in my 1.2, i'd put the nozzle in & the tannoy would crackle...'that is the unleaded pump' and i'd walk to the kiosk and say 'i know' then the tannoy would crackle again.... etc.etc.etc

my nova has pinking trouble, but that is the flame red for you

Asa-James
18-10-09, 08:49 AM
To be honest the only time I've seen a difference with super is if I usestandard tesos and super tescos. But saying that I usually steer clear of tescos anyway and go to shell, usually cheaper and better mpg (and for some bizarre reason the cav runs miles better on shell than any other fuel)

therealnovaboy
18-10-09, 09:52 AM
i didnt realise untill a few days ago that the premium fuels actualy have additives in them that give a better burn when ignited making a better flame front. i used to work in the grangemouth refinary and bp shell esso ect all got there petrol from the same place. the differance was when the shell man came in with his lorry he would pour in a pint of additive to his tanker. this pint was all the differance between bp and shell.

Ben
18-10-09, 12:02 PM
i get over 60 miles extra per tank on shell super duper diesel and can feel the difference in the car, but only use it when i find a works fuel card laying around.

Steve
18-10-09, 03:05 PM
all ohc novas could run on u/l, but back in around 86/87, i regularly had rows with garage staff about putting u/l in my 1.2, i'd put the nozzle in & the tannoy would crackle...'that is the unleaded pump' and i'd walk to the kiosk and say 'i know' then the tannoy would crackle again.... etc.etc.etc

my nova has pinking trouble, but that is the flame red for you
My 1983 1.2 nova had had an unleaded cylinder head conversion before I got it. :confused:

Welsh Dan
18-10-09, 06:38 PM
i get over 60 miles extra per tank on shell super duper diesel and can feel the difference in the car, but only use it when i find a works fuel card laying around.

Me too, but it works out cheaper to buy Shell V-Power when you take the price vs mileage into account ;).

Mike
18-10-09, 06:53 PM
76 Blue racing fuel FTW i say :P